FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Double the price? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/2025016-double-price.html)

Pookynubbers Sep 13, 2020 11:05 am

Double the price?

I was ready to book a flight MCI-MCO for about 5K points one way - this flight was everyday for months out. Now, three days later they’ve all changed to 9K for months out. Can’t imagine that the cheap bucket of 5K seats sold out for every day for the next 6 months.

expert7700 Sep 13, 2020 11:10 am

so that means it was a fare sale or corporate testing various price points.

points bookings are always refundable, so no disadvantage to book early.

jep8821 Sep 13, 2020 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers (Post 32672618)
I was ready to book a flight MCI-MCO for about 5K points one way - this flight was everyday for months out. Now, three days later they’ve all changed to 9K for months out. Can’t imagine that the cheap bucket of 5K seats sold out for every day for the next 6 months.

MCI -MCO was briefly 5,772 points for like a week. Its normal sale price over the last couple of months has been around 7,644 with non-sale being betwen 9k - 11k.. Like others have said, If you see it on sale, don't wait, jump on it as its very easy to cancel or re-price it should it go lower. I have been monitoring MCi-MCO for several months... My gut says it will likely go back on sale within the next week (not sure which sale price though)... maybe as early as tomorrow..

danielonn Sep 13, 2020 2:13 pm

Too bad you waited but then again you could wait a week and see if it comes down or book now and refund the point difference.

xliioper Sep 13, 2020 9:06 pm

Well, points mostly correlate to fare prices. Backdating fare pricing on EF shows quite a bit a variability over last few weeks. Low seems to have been last week at $85.98. Currently cheapest fare is $128.98. Two weeks ago it was $95.98. Three weeks ago it was $108.98. I believe these were due to various fare sales.

NoStressHere Sep 14, 2020 7:41 am

And 10 minutes from now it will be another price - or could be. All tied to factors like supply, demand, marketing, revenue management, etc.

Often1 Sep 14, 2020 9:16 am

I would jump on this. If the price drops, easy to adjust. If it increases, you are protected.

Never a reason to wait with WN on a points booking.

Cledaybuck Sep 14, 2020 9:25 am

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 32672624)
points bookings are always refundable, so no disadvantage to book early.

Originally Posted by Often1 (Post 32674530)
I would jump on this. If the price drops, easy to adjust. If it increases, you are protected.

Never a reason to wait with WN on a points booking.

That assumes you have the points in your account already. If you are transferring from someone like Chase, you might think twice, as you will never get those UR points back.

xliioper Sep 14, 2020 9:29 am

Fare sales generally run Tue - Thu. I'd definitely wait for one and see if price goes down as they have been running them regularly.

toomanybooks Sep 14, 2020 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck (Post 32674556)
That assumes you have the points in your account already. If you are transferring from someone like Chase, you might think twice, as you will never get those UR points back.

Transfer normally is instant. And WN points never expire.

Not a tragedy if you have some leftover, unless neither you nor anyone you purchase for will ever fly WN again.

jep8821 Sep 15, 2020 5:41 am

Its onsale today for 7,644 points. My suggestion is if you have the points, book it at this price now and then keep an eye out for it to go lower.

ursine1 Sep 15, 2020 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by jep8821 (Post 32676615)
Its onsale today for 7,644 points. My suggestion is if you have the points, book it at this price now and then keep an eye out for it to go lower.

Use code SAVE20NOW for a 20% discount on points bookings.