Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Double the price?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2020, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Double the price?

I was ready to book a flight MCI-MCO for about 5K points one way - this flight was everyday for months out. Now, three days later they’ve all changed to 9K for months out. Can’t imagine that the cheap bucket of 5K seats sold out for every day for the next 6 months.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
so that means it was a fare sale or corporate testing various price points.

points bookings are always refundable, so no disadvantage to book early.
synergistic, Often1 and formeraa like this.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pookynubbers
I was ready to book a flight MCI-MCO for about 5K points one way - this flight was everyday for months out. Now, three days later they’ve all changed to 9K for months out. Can’t imagine that the cheap bucket of 5K seats sold out for every day for the next 6 months.
MCI -MCO was briefly 5,772 points for like a week. Its normal sale price over the last couple of months has been around 7,644 with non-sale being betwen 9k - 11k.. Like others have said, If you see it on sale, don't wait, jump on it as its very easy to cancel or re-price it should it go lower. I have been monitoring MCi-MCO for several months... My gut says it will likely go back on sale within the next week (not sure which sale price though)... maybe as early as tomorrow..
Old Sep 13, 2020, 2:13 pm

Too bad you waited but then again you could wait a week and see if it comes down or book now and refund the point difference.
Old Sep 13, 2020, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, points mostly correlate to fare prices. Backdating fare pricing on EF shows quite a bit a variability over last few weeks. Low seems to have been last week at $85.98. Currently cheapest fare is $128.98. Two weeks ago it was $95.98. Three weeks ago it was $108.98. I believe these were due to various fare sales.

Last edited by xliioper; Sep 14, 2020 at 9:27 am
Old Sep 14, 2020, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
And 10 minutes from now it will be another price - or could be. All tied to factors like supply, demand, marketing, revenue management, etc.
screeton likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:16 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would jump on this. If the price drops, easy to adjust. If it increases, you are protected.

Never a reason to wait with WN on a points booking.
cmx likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:25 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by expert7700
points bookings are always refundable, so no disadvantage to book early.
Originally Posted by Often1
I would jump on this. If the price drops, easy to adjust. If it increases, you are protected.

Never a reason to wait with WN on a points booking.
That assumes you have the points in your account already. If you are transferring from someone like Chase, you might think twice, as you will never get those UR points back.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fare sales generally run Tue - Thu. I'd definitely wait for one and see if price goes down as they have been running them regularly.
formeraa likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2020, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
That assumes you have the points in your account already. If you are transferring from someone like Chase, you might think twice, as you will never get those UR points back.
Transfer normally is instant. And WN points never expire.

Not a tragedy if you have some leftover, unless neither you nor anyone you purchase for will ever fly WN again.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 5:41 am

Its onsale today for 7,644 points. My suggestion is if you have the points, book it at this price now and then keep an eye out for it to go lower.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by jep8821
Its onsale today for 7,644 points. My suggestion is if you have the points, book it at this price now and then keep an eye out for it to go lower.
Use code SAVE20NOW for a 20% discount on points bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.