Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else enjoy turbulence?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

On my second flight of three today (SWA 2074 from BNA-HOU if anyone is interested) it was quite turbulent. Like some people laughing some people afraid kinda turbulence. Personally I find it fun! I always say a completely smooth flight with no turbulence is boring. It was made even better when some guy shouted out “Rollercoaster Baby!” LOL
Now I have my limits (I don’t enjoy it on takeoff) and sometimes I want it smooth, but I also just find it livens things up some! Obviously only if no one is hurt by it.

Last edited by Wolfsrule20; Jan 21, 2020 at 8:39 pm
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I do not mean any ill will... but

1 - You took a flight/connection today that was 5 hours longer than alternate flight options
and
2 - You like Turbulence.

Enjoy your flying.
travlr222, NPF, copperred and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Yup. Count me in as one.

Part of that is that I am also a private pilot and know what those planes can handle. Pretty much flying directly into a thunderstorm is the only thing that will break a plane, everything else is recoverable even if flipped upside down.

Was on a flight heading into DEN and we hit the remnants of a major storm. Pilot even advised it was a going to be a rapid descent and rough ride though it. Wings were rockin, overhead bins were flipping open, my laptop went airborne a few times...people were loosing their minds. I was just enjoying the ride...don't know what I was putting off but lady next to me was a wreck and she asked me..."Are you a pilot?"..."Yup...don't worry, it is a hell of a ride but none of this is even close to knocking a plane out of the sky. Just like being on a cruise ship in the ocean...there are not waves big enough to capsize us!"...after which she become much more relaxed.

I was bad enough that SW gave everyone a $100 travel voucher.

I still had the biggest grin on my face. Smooth flights are boring...especially long cross country flights.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
I do not mean any ill will... but

1 - You took a flight/connection today that was 5 hours longer than alternate flight options
and
2 - You like Turbulence.

Enjoy your flying.
1. I took it because I saved $50 taking it.
2. Is there something wrong with enjoying flying? I had a purpose for the trip it wasn’t for the heck of it. I’d rather enjoy my time then be miserable.
757FO likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:32 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Wolfsrule20
Every 7 year old boy!
smmrfld, steved5480 and ajGoes like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:48 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I don't mind turbulence

1) serves people right who ignore seatbelt sign or the announcement to keep your seatbelt loosely fastened when you are at your seat even when the sign is off.

2) I like to fake panic at every little noise or turbulence the see the reaction from the white knuckled passengers around us helps pass the time better.

(I do have a bit of a conscience: I feel terrible when I read of flight attendant injuries).
Wolfsrule20 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 7:50 pm

Sometimes the shriekers wake me up, I am not a fan.
Wolfsrule20 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Wolfsrule20
On my second flight of three today (SWA 2074 from BNA-HOU if anyone is interested) it was quite turbulent. Like some people laughing some people afraid kinda turbulence. Personally I find it fun! I always say a completely smooth flight with no turbulence is boring. It was made even better when some guy shouted out “Rollercoaster Baby!” LOL
Now I have my limits (I don’t enjoy it on takeoff) and sometimes I want it smooth, but I also just find it livens things up some!
Your posts are becoming increasingly odd. Is something else going on here? Or are you perhaps a teen or younger who is new to flying?
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by PAX62
I was bad enough that SW gave everyone a $100 travel voucher.
What was it that you did? Did WN send you a bill?
nsx and Wolfsrule20 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:15 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Originally Posted by Tanic
What was it that you did? Did WN send you a bill?
Pretzels give me gas...then the turbulence shook me up. I miss the peanuts.
Tanic and Wolfsrule20 like this.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
Your posts are becoming increasingly odd. Is something else going on here? Or are you perhaps a teen or younger who is new to flying?
um no? I’m not really sure what is odd about this. I’m in my 20’s. Also been flying monthly for 2 years now.
I wasn’t aware it was so odd for passengers (like me) to enjoy flying. I won’t post anymore for awhile. Sorry if I enjoy aviation
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:10 pm

There’s always that subtle hope that the plane crashes and that’s that, right op?!
Old Jan 21, 2020, 9:23 pm

I don't mind it (except on approach). But I do feel bad for the people who are genuinely terrified by it, so prefer no turbulence for that reason.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 12:25 am

I like it as a passenger cause it puts me to sleep. Don't like it as a pilot cause it increases workload trying to find some smoother air for the pax or if its moderate or heavier always guarding controls cause autopilot is a POS and kicks off. Or if its turbulent on final i get to hear snarky comments from pax deplaning.
Wolfsrule20 likes this.
Old Jan 22, 2020, 1:03 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
I don’t mind turbulence per se, and can cope fine with moderate to severe turbulence but I’d rather I had a smooth flight. It makes reading, eating and drinking increasingly difficult and can interrupt cabin service quite considerably. I don’t like hearing pax whinge and cry when we hit a bit of chop either. Can’t say I remember hearing any whoops and shouts of excitement, but that would p**s me off even more.
Wolfsrule20 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.