Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My First Ever A1 Experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by ryw
... and A16 didn't show up (I'm guessing they did a standby on an earlier flight).
Could have been me I've been A-16 thru 19 more times than I can count, and I get up once the "A-16 thru 30" segment is called and just follow in behind the A-30 guy. I hate lines.
ryw likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
With the credit card offering free Upgraded Boarding positions I'm definitely seeing the BS positions more filled now, even on non-business routes.
THAT explains it, then!

I've seen more people than before on my weekend SJC-SoCal flights in BS and I'm wondering why anyone was spending that extra $$ for lightly-loaded weekend flights.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
A while later I dropped to A20-40 due to my low fares.
Do you mean this as "but nowadays, I've got elite status, but my numbers are higher because my average fare price is lower?" or "back in the day I'd get a lower number but as the day went on it would get higher?" I didn't think the latter situation could occur, and FWIW today I went on a segment run on those $39 fares and had a "teen" each way.
Old Aug 7, 2019, 7:27 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Do you mean this as "but nowadays, I've got elite status, but my numbers are higher because my average fare price is lower?" or "back in the day I'd get a lower number but as the day went on it would get higher?" I didn't think the latter situation could occur, and FWIW today I went on a segment run on those $39 fares and had a "teen" each way.
At the beginning of A-list the check-in priority was independent of fare. My flight count was and is sky high, so I got A16 or 17 every time. Then one day I drew A42 for my $39 fare. Party over.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
I usually have a ton of last minute commuter flights within CA. I have been A1 more often than not when in BS fares (Anytime is a waste of money given you get extra points with a trivial upgrade in fare).

Unfortunately, its not all that great anymore due to the insane amount of pre-boards that seem to be popping up. I am getting frustrated at the entire families and groups being pre-boarded due to a single passenger who legitimately needs pre-boarding. Families are trying to sneak into the pre-boarding too. Not to mention the large increase in ESAs that also seem to get pre-boarding too. Ive been A1 many times and the first row with a window is row 7!

Could i be happy with A16 or so....absolutely. I usually like the BS fares for the increased point earning and flexibility...and get a decent seat if i need to change flights last minute.
Old Aug 8, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
(Anytime is a waste of money given you get extra points with a trivial upgrade in fare).
Man, I wish I got to fly on OPM!
Old Aug 8, 2019, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
My uncle had never flown WN before, but he was going from SEA-OAK at the last minute for a funeral. He ended purchasing BS and got A1. He was thrilled about boarding first and thought WN was the best airline ever for such a flight. He told all his friends about how wonderful WN was. My personal take was that he would have thought differently had he gotten B22!

Sadly, he passed away before he could take another WN flight. I've had A2 before, but not A1 (I have however been the first regular boarder on the plane with A16).
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:15 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Man, I wish I got to fly on OPM!
The status is nice but if you're someone like me where OPM takes you to Atlanta, rural Louisiana, rural Georgia and when you're lucky, DC and you're traveling weekdays, missing upgrades, staying at a lot of crappy suburban Courtyards, it's really not that great.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10
The status is nice but if you're someone like me where OPM takes you to Atlanta, rural Louisiana, rural Georgia and when you're lucky, DC and you're traveling weekdays, missing upgrades, staying at a lot of crappy suburban Courtyards, it's really not that great.
that is a stark reminder that burnout from business travel is real. I once sat next to a traveling salesman who told me he uses a cash back card cause he will never use all his wn points or Hilton points despite taking a few vacations a year.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by joshua362
I beeline it to A12, the infinite leg room seat, more pleasantries exchanged with the FA ("best seat in the house!") while she screens the following exit row seatees for age and willingness.
Weird thing is...last week on DSM-STL, I got the infinite legroom seat and had the FA tell me it was the worst seat because it was narrower than the others. Has anyone ever had an FA suggest that this seat isn't a good one?

I would think that the window seats at the front of the plane where the fuselage narrows would feel tighter. Unlike some other types, the 737 exit window doesn't jut noticeably into my leg space. I definitely prefer aisle when I can't have infinite legroom, but I still believe this seat is the best window seat you can get, assuming you can live without a regular tray table.

I've never pulled an A1, but I've had a few A3's through A5's. I've also gotten the infinite legroom seat from as far back as A25.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 12:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by pinniped
Weird thing is...last week on DSM-STL, I got the infinite legroom seat and had the FA tell me it was the worst seat because it was narrower than the others. Has anyone ever had an FA suggest that this seat isn't a good one?

I would think that the window seats at the front of the plane where the fuselage narrows would feel tighter. .
The mini-armrest next to the window seems to intrude into the normal seat width. However I'm pretty sure the fit is tightest in the front and back rows.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 2:05 pm

"Regular" exit row window seats in the 800s don't have a window-side armrest. That's one reason they are my preferred seat.

The infinite-legroom exit row seat has a thicker than normal armrest that contains the tray table. As do the bulkhead seats. These, along with the first few and (to a lesser degree) last couple of rows are the tightest, width-wise.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 6:25 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Booked another RDU-ATL BS fare for tomorrow, my usual first flight of the day, but this time because I booked it around 12 hours out I'm A7! How can I go back to that after knowing the delight of being A1??
nsx likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.