Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Change flight to have a few hour layover for a meeting?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Long time lurker. SWA A+ Status and CP holder. I have a flight booked from A to B on Monday. However something came up, and I need to go to C for a few hours before I go to B. Can I change my direct A to B flight to a connecting A-C-B flight, but "miss" my connecting flight for the next one so I can have 3 hours to go to a meeting? If I cancel and re-book separate flights, I'm looking at almost $600 more. I appreciate your help!
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Should work by showing up at the gate after the flight departs (and within 2 hours) and asking for the flat tire rule.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
"Miss" the connection due to illness or some other reason?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:07 pm

As a frequent flyer, you're also likely aware that in this case, they have no obligation to get you to point B - so if weather or maintenance causes trouble on that first leg, you might end up connecting somewhere else entirely. I'd take the risk myself in most cases, but it would depend on how absolutely necessary it was for the meeting to take place at that exact time.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:07 pm

I'd say I was stuck in the airport bathroom with explosive diarrhea to discourage follow-up questions...
steved5480 likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:14 pm

A live agent is strongly advised. Converting A-B to A-C-B presupposes an exemption no one here can substantiate. The fare you paid and your status are prime factors. That, and any likelihood your business involves saving humanity.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:54 pm

Good point, I assumed that was a done deal and A-C-B was a published fare and were dealing with AT fares, I guess not if $600 more is required... Is A-C-B within 2 hours of A-B? A flat tire within a flat tire.
synergistic likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:59 pm

I was also assuming that OP was able to change A-C to A-B--C for free or close right now online, and was simply wondering how his plan might be handled on day of travel. I would put less hope on using standby privileges to get moved to the desired connecting flight and then also using flat tire rule to move back the second leg.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: none
You can do anything you want as long as the airline OK's it. Ask them, and explain why it's in their best interest for you to do what you're asking.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Allan38103
You can do anything you want as long as the airline OK's it. Ask them, and explain why it's in their best interest for you to do what you're asking.
I am very confused with this idea.

"explain why it's in their best interest for you to do what you're asking"
Old Feb 8, 2020, 9:16 am

I'm sure any airline will explain to you that its in their best interests that you purchase two walk-up (AT) fares for what you want to do. You'll need to get creative and play within the other potential free accommodations otherwise if the math & routings work out. BTW, 3 hours isn't a heck of lot of time unless your meeting is right at the airport...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.