Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bad weather forecasted-unsure

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2019, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Bad weather forecasted-unsure

I had a round trip flight this week. Yesterday I flew from Tampa to Little Rock (stopover in St.Louis) and Saturday I’m supposed to fly Little Rock to Tampa (layover in Dallas)
my problem lies in the fact we have a 80% chance of thunderstorms/possible tornadoes in Little Rock Saturday and Dallas has a 80% chance of severe weather.
my plan was gonna be to reroute from Dallas but now I’m worried about getting out of my starting airport.
im unsure if I should call Southwest tomorrow and try to get bumped onto a Friday flight (highly unlikely I can)
call Southwest Friday and get a plan for Saturday
or wait it out and see what happens.
thanks in advance!
Old May 15, 2019, 5:32 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Watch the southwest.com home page for a weather announcement. You can get a free change if and when it appears.
Old May 15, 2019, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Thunderstorms are a regular event. Sometimes flights get delayed, rerouted or canceled. The vast majority run on time, or close to it.

In general, trying to second guess what might happen to you is not healthy.

SEVERE weather gives you options to change and these are posted on the SWest page.
joshua362 likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 7:46 am

Programs: LTP, PP
You are not likely to see advance weather warning and free changes on run of the mill Spring / Summer thunderstorms in the Midwest. You have to deal with them as they occur. I once spent a miserable May connecting to/fro MDW weekly on the last flights of the day before I wised up.
Old May 16, 2019, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the opinions. I decided to just check in as normal and not call Southwest unless I see a weather alert. Hopefully I’m able to fly!
Old May 17, 2019, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
The Little Rock weather isn't supposed to arrive until late in the afternoon/evening. I wouldn't worry about the weather here being the issue.
Old May 17, 2019, 8:05 pm
Original Poster

Well I just got the alert that I can change my flight but I think it’s only for Dallas not Little Rock. I’ll see how things are looking when I get to the airport tomorrow and go from there.
Old May 17, 2019, 9:49 pm

Programs: WN CP, HHonors, Hyatt Platinum, IHG Premier,LaQuinta Elite, Amtrak
Good luck on your travel out of Little Rock. On two occasions in the last 12 months, I've been forced to rent a car at DAL and drive to LIT because the Little Rock segment was canceled - once mechanical and once weather (meaning the return flight of this loop, LIT-DAL, got canceled too). Pretty unbelievable that there are only two legitimate schedules to DAL from LIT on this Saturday... I remember the day when there were at least 6 per day, and perhaps even more when SWA first started serving LIT. Some of us were fans of the Wright amendment.
Wolfsrule20 likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Dallas flight just got cancelled....Haven’t even left for the airport yet. Calling Southwest now...
Old May 18, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Its TS season in the Midwest, not much you can do about it.

At least you got some advanced notification.

I spent a miserable month on May connecting to/fro MDW on the last flights of the day. I was once pulled off the plane at MCI because I would miss the connection, then told to get right back on because they "would wait". Well, the connection was long gone by the time we got to MDW. Significant costs taking another airline to a nearby airport and limo and didn't get home until 5am. WN refused the refund the 2/3 of the journey not flown. The kicker was the following week, similar circumstances and we sat an extra hour in MDW waiting for a connecting passenger!

Best of luck!
Old May 18, 2019, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Can’t fly out till tomorrow got rebooked on a new flight early tomorrow morning (then to St Louis, then Pittsburgh, THEN Tampa lol). I’m okay with having to leave tomorrow however I’m pretty upset that yesterday even while out on a picnic I made sure to check in at T-24 because a window seat is extremely important to me when flying. Got B 1 and B 2 then. Now I’m B21 and B45.....I even tried to pay to upgrade to A list preferred and was told I can’t unless someone cancels tomorrow. UGH
Old May 18, 2019, 9:09 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Wolfsrule20
Can’t fly out till tomorrow got rebooked on a new flight early tomorrow morning (then to St Louis, then Pittsburgh, THEN Tampa lol). I’m okay with having to leave tomorrow however I’m pretty upset that yesterday even while out on a picnic I made sure to check in at T-24 because a window seat is extremely important to me when flying. Got B 1 and B 2 then. Now I’m B21 and B45.....I even tried to pay to upgrade to A list preferred and was told I can’t unless someone cancels tomorrow. UGH
This sounds exactly like my experience in March trying to get anywhere through DAL. Pre-emptive cancelling, hours of delay until the next available flight, losing boarding position, etc. In my case, it was 3 separate cancelled flights over 2 days.

Southwest has consistently had the highest cancellation rates of any domestic airline this year. I have tried to fly through DAL on Southwest several times. I have never actually been able to fly that route. It's like a unicorn for me. It always gets cancelled.
Old May 18, 2019, 10:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bitterproffit
This sounds exactly like my experience in March trying to get anywhere through DAL. Pre-emptive cancelling, hours of delay until the next available flight, losing boarding position, etc. In my case, it was 3 separate cancelled flights over 2 days.

Southwest has consistently had the highest cancellation rates of any domestic airline this year. I have tried to fly through DAL on Southwest several times. I have never actually been able to fly that route. It's like a unicorn for me. It always gets cancelled.
yikes! I’ve flown through Dallas many times. It’s actually one of my favorite airports. I guess I’m lucky in the fact that with a year and a half with once to twice monthly flying this is my first cancellation.
bitterproffit likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 12:04 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by joshua362
I was once pulled off the plane at MCI because I would miss the connection, then told to get right back on because they "would wait". Well, the connection was long gone by the time we got to MDW. Significant costs taking another airline to a nearby airport and limo and didn't get home until 5am. WN refused the refund the 2/3 of the journey not flown. The kicker was the following week, similar circumstances and we sat an extra hour in MDW waiting for a connecting passenger!

Best of luck!
You must have upset someone at WN.
joshua362 likes this.
Old May 18, 2019, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Wolfsrule20
I made sure to check in at T-24 because a window seat is extremely important to me when flying. Got B 1 and B 2 then. Now I’m B21 and B45.... UGH
I would be quite surprised if you do not get a window with those boarding positions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.