Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"Your reservation is confirmed" = we dropped your original flight

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:04 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member

The MAX8 grounding reduced Southwest;s fleet by 5%, forcing cancellation of flights. Southwest is now pruning the near-term flight schedule, I just received a "Your reservation is confirmed" email for a trip 12 days from now. The confirmation is not what I originally booked, an important fact omitted from the email. I checked my original booking and that flight no longer exists.

This is amateurish. Southwest can surely afford an hour of someone's time to write a new email template for flights dropped from the schedule.

In this case I will need to call and move the trip. I presume that a move within the 14-day window will be free.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Thanks for this. I sometimes disregard those emails if the subject line doesn’t somehow distinguish it from the marketing emails (book your car/hotel/adventure now).

Guess I’d better pay closer attention.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
This is scary. If someone gets the "you're confirmed" subject in an email, there's a tendency not to look further and to assume that everything is OK as scheduled on the original flight. If would be very easy to show up at the airport as originally planned and then face a big mess with the trip.
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:00 am

That’s no good. I had one change but the subject on the email was “Changes to your upcoming Southwest trip”.

The nonstop flight from LAS to DAL was cancelled and they moved my husband 2 hours earlier with a plane change in ABQ. It doubled the travel time. I called and they moved him to the later nonstop without an issue. It took the lady a few minutes because she said she had to override the fare.

But I ended up cancelling his trip and moving it to August. The later flight just gets in too late and he would need to be in a class at 8am after not making it to the hotel until at least midnight (if everything goes right and no delays).
Old Mar 29, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Yeah I received that "your reservation is confirmed" also. This was after I agreed to change flights. I just received a call from Southwest yesterday telling me about a sell-out situation. They wanted to know if I wanted to change flights. The new flight is a nonstop flight whereas the old flight had a connection. They actually offered me a $200 LUV voucher. I told them that I had a companion on this flight also and they said they'd be eligible for it also.

All-in-all not a bad deal. We got $400 in vouchers for an upgraded flight, that we didn't even pay for since it was all points.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by nsx
The MAX8 grounding reduced Southwest;s fleet by 5%, forcing cancellation of flights. Southwest is now pruning the near-term flight schedule, I just received a "Your reservation is confirmed" email for a trip 12 days from now. The confirmation is not what I originally booked, an important fact omitted from the email. I checked my original booking and that flight no longer exists.

This is amateurish. Southwest can surely afford an hour of someone's time to write a new email template for flights dropped from the schedule.

In this case I will need to call and move the trip. I presume that a move within the 14-day window will be free.
Southwest IT ineptness strikes again. Would you mind sharing approximately when you made the original reservation that they changed/(re)Confirmed for 12 days from now?

Thanks much for this info!
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:22 pm

We had a flight inexplicably changed - from a nonstop from Houston to Las Vegas, to one with a layover. When I looked at the website, the original flight was still there, and I could switch back it by paying an extra $93! There was a later nonstop for only $4 more, and for us the time was better, so I just switched to that one.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 2:43 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by steved5480
Would you mind sharing approximately when you made the original reservation that they changed/(re)Confirmed for 12 days from now?
Early February, but I doubt that was a factor.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
It seems one can never repeat enough: Southwest is horrible during IRROPS.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by Critterlynn
Yeah I received that "your reservation is confirmed" also. This was after I agreed to change flights. I just received a call from Southwest yesterday telling me about a sell-out situation. They wanted to know if I wanted to change flights. The new flight is a nonstop flight whereas the old flight had a connection. They actually offered me a $200 LUV voucher. I told them that I had a companion on this flight also and they said they'd be eligible for it also.

All-in-all not a bad deal. We got $400 in vouchers for an upgraded flight, that we didn't even pay for since it was all points.
Paying with dollars or points is still paying. Using points may not be cash out of pocket today... but sometime in the future you will be out of points and have to pay cash.

This is concept many relatives do not understand when you do not just book "free" flights for them.
MrsWLV, joshua362, ursine1 and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 6:56 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Paying with dollars or points is still paying. Using points may not be cash out of pocket today... but sometime in the future you will be out of points and have to pay cash.

This is concept many relatives do not understand when you do not just book "free" flights for them.
Considering the fact the companion is free - $5.60 and the majority of my points were earned through credit card referrals, I'd say it's close enough.
Blitzjb likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 7:57 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Unfortunately, this seems pretty standard in the travel industry(at least you received an email). My recent DL and AA flights are about 50-50 as to me getting an email for schedule changes. Hilton just sent me an email telling me to check in for a hotel reservation that I had cancelled a few days earlier. And then there is Marriott...
joshua362 likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 9:24 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
My cancellation for April 16 (SFO to LAX) was handled well. (Booked in late Feb.) Three days ago, Southwest sent me an email headed "Changes to your upcoming Southwest trip".

Its text was simple but clear:

"We want to make you aware of a change we’ve made to your upcoming trip. This was done proactively due to a Southwest flight schedule change on your day of travel.
Please review your new itinerary below, and reach out to a Southwest Representative at the dedicated phone number 888-xxx-xxxx should you have any questions.
We look forward to seeing you onboard soon."

The text which followed gave me my original flight info and the new one which it had protected me on, so I could compare quickly.

I was concerned that the new flight was about two hours later than my original one. I checked that there was a more convenient n/s OAK->LAX, which would likely be more reliable than a midday SFO departure.
Called the toll-free number, got through on two rings, and the agent gave me my OAK choice without hesitation.

Hope this approach becomes standard for all "proactive" cancellations.
steved5480 and oopsz like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:11 am

I have a flight in late April that had WGA fares as of late last week. Now the entire flight is zeroed out (including BS and Anytime). Could this portend a cancellation? Phone agent suggested that the flight was not cancelled.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I advise everyone to recheck everything.

Had three points reservation for wife. Son later got CP, so I called to assign her as his C and switch them all at once to CP.

First two went through, third did not survive. This was a couple weeks ago. I am sure all three CP-tickets were originally generated.

Luckily I caught it in time to rereserve via CP before sellout. If it was duped I am out $5.60 I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.