Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest 737 Max Makes Emergency Landing at MCO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest 737 Max Makes Emergency Landing at MCO

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:43 am

Of course, 'engine ingested debris' is going to be buried quite a bit in the story to drive up the clicks.
NextTrip likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by PAX62

Please...while technically the wording of the headline is correct...what are they going to get more clicks on...that or “Empty Southwest Plane Safely Returns To Airport Affter Experiencing Slight Engine Problem and Declaring an Emergency”
Well, that's way too many words. That's not how the concept of a headline works.

They are PREYiNG on sensationism and peoples fears while capitalizing on the recent tragedies.

I stand by my statement...gramatically correct or not...still Sad.
You're ranting about the Orlando Sentinel, a local media outlet. None of the national media has picked up on this story except perhaps as a passing reference.

The media is not a non-profit enterprise. They want to make money just like everybody else. Obsessing over their "preying" on sensationalism is like obsessing over an airline's latest click-bait "Major sale! From $29!" and then discovering that behind the click-bait is a single MIA-MCO flight that sold out long before you clicked on it.

If you don't want to contribute to the "sensationalism," don't click on the click-bait. <shrugs>
joshua362 and lougord99 like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:57 am

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Old Mar 27, 2019, 7:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OTOH, I saw an awfully cute photo of a bunch of WN MAX 8 aircraft parked at Victorville. It looked like they were gathered together to gossip among themselves and they looked sharp in their fresh new bright paint on a sunny day, although I suspect that almost all days there are dry and sunny, which is partly why this is a preferred location for long term parking of aircraft.
After hearing the news I used Google maps satellite view to see the Southern California Logistics Airport at Victorville. It has a nice crowd of Southwest blue aircraft.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
With the MAX having ETOPS certification (is this true for all of these aircraft or only some of them?),
To be used in ETOPS the aircraft must have certain additional equipment including I think life rafts, and extra oxygen in the cabin plus some other stuff I'm not sure of. The Certification is for the airline. It covers a lot of areas including aircraft, equipment, operations, maintenance and the training and qualification of pilots, crew and maintenance personnel.

Depending on individual configuration some MAX 8s may not be equipped for ETOPS. I know AIrtran had some aircraft equipped for ETOPS but most weren't. They never got certified before they were closed down.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 9:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by PAX62

...while technically the wording of the headline is correct...

Is there another kind of "correct"?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by Tanic
Emergency declaration most certainly does mean that there is an emergency. There are other means to gain ATC priority and urgency without an emergency declaration. Also an emergency declaration can exist in the absence of air traffic control, as well as ATC declaring an emergency on behalf of the pilot without the pilot's concurrence. Pilots are enabled to exercise the emergency flight provisions contained in F.A.R, 91.3 which are not otherwise available in the absence of an emergency.
Not to put too fine a point on this, but FAR 91.3 is dependent on the type of operation being conducted, like an airline pilot flying his own personal aircraft, or for flying his airline's ferry flight from point A to point B, as was the case in MCO. Put that same airline pilot in his airline's aircraft on a Part 121 Domestic flight, and their emergency authority is under FAR 121.557(a). The flight's aircraft dispatcher also has their own emergency authority under FAR 121.557(b). As noted, ATC can also declare it.

Back to the original topic, the media coverage on this event was essentially much ado over nothing, especially since it wasn't related to either crash. It could have been a flat tire, and they'd have reported it in the same way, solely on the fact that it was an -800 MAX.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by TSparky
After hearing the news I used Google maps satellite view to see the Southern California Logistics Airport at Victorville. It has a nice crowd of Southwest blue aircraft.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Thanks for the clip. I was hoping to see a stair car being somewhat close to Orange county. Ya, ya
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:33 am

With Boeing producing 50+ 737s per month, and the grounding possibly lasting until July or August (depending upon which media reports to believe), I think VCV (and MHV) will very likely be seeing more of them. After 9/11, (or was it the 2007/2008 mess?) SWA kept taking deliveries, and they went straight to MHV for awhile. Up in the PacNW, BFI, RNT, PAE, and MWH can only hold so many parked aircraft, in addition to the non-737s, so I expect the desert to see most of the the Max8s and Max9s..
steved5480 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 11:43 am

My reading of the reports is that Boeing is going to keep up production but suspend deliveries. So Boeing will have to find a place to park them.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by OPNLguy
Not to put too fine a point on this, but FAR 91.3 is dependent on the type of operation being conducted, like an airline pilot flying his own personal aircraft, or for flying his airline's ferry flight from point A to point B, as was the case in MCO. Put that same airline pilot in his airline's aircraft on a Part 121 Domestic flight, and their emergency authority is under FAR 121.557(a). The flight's aircraft dispatcher also has their own emergency authority under FAR 121.557(b). As noted, ATC can also declare it.

Back to the original topic, the media coverage on this event was essentially much ado over nothing, especially since it wasn't related to either crash. It could have been a flat tire, and they'd have reported it in the same way, solely on the fact that it was an -800 MAX.
The plane was a 737-MAX8, not a 737-800, correct?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
To be used in ETOPS the aircraft must have certain additional equipment including I think life rafts, and extra oxygen in the cabin plus some other stuff I'm not sure of. The Certification is for the airline. It covers a lot of areas including aircraft, equipment, operations, maintenance and the training and qualification of pilots, crew and maintenance personnel.

Depending on individual configuration some MAX 8s may not be equipped for ETOPS. I know AIrtran had some aircraft equipped for ETOPS but most weren't. They never got certified before they were closed down.
Many (if not all) of the MAX8s to date were delivered ETOPS compliant but are not currently on the SWA ETOPS certificate. That was always planned to come after Hawai‘i ops were underway and requires a separate validation process.

SM Disclaimer: These are my thoughts/opinions not necessarily those of SWA.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:21 pm

The vast majority of "reporting" on this incident is of course abysmal -- journalism is nearly dead, and what passes for it these days is mostly clickbait.

Today's FlyerTalk TalkMail Newsletter called it a "test flight," and presumably these are people who should know better.

Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:22 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Murder Suspect Arrested!

...for jaywalking.

Clickbait indeed.
steved5480 and NextTrip like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.