FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1960343-free-changes-now-southwest-refusing-accommodate-people-who-afraid-max8.html)

txhyattlvr Mar 11, 2019 8:46 am

Free changes now! (was: Southwest refusing to accommodate people who afraid of MAX8)

Roughly 1/3 of worldwide fleet is grounded due to safety concerns... and United is re-accommodating those with concerns who don't want to fly on it. Yet, at Southwest it's "pay the difference in fare or screw you."

Who would have thought United would have better customer service than Southwest?

Herb must be turning over in his grave...

People can disagree, but there are legitimate concerns about this aircraft. People shouldn't be forced to fly on it or forced to pay a penalty.

Talk about "nuts."

mctrees02 Mar 11, 2019 9:07 am

From what I'm seeing, 21.7% of the MAX's in service have been grounded (with about 90% of those being grounded by the Chinese government). That means that the air traffic regulators and management from another 35-40 airlines spread across the world are comfortable enough in their ability to fly the plane safely.

Inasmuch as the MAX makes up 4.5% of Southwest's fleet, you aren't being forced to fly on this aircraft. If you aren't comfortable flying on the plane, then you have the option to fly other routes that require a stop/plane change, fly at a different time, or maybe even on another airline whose plane type better suits your needs. Of course these other options may carry added costs...but how much do you value your safety and peace of mind?

txhyattlvr Mar 11, 2019 9:18 am

Originally Posted by mctrees02 (Post 30872930)
From what I'm seeing, 21.7% of the MAX's in service have been grounded (with about 90% of those being grounded by the Chinese government). That means that the air traffic regulators and management from another 35-40 airlines spread across the world are comfortable enough in their ability to fly the plane safely.

Inasmuch as the MAX makes up 4.5% of Southwest's fleet, you aren't being forced to fly on this aircraft. If you aren't comfortable flying on the plane, then you have the option to fly other routes that require a stop/plane change, fly at a different time, or maybe even on another airline whose plane type better suits your needs. Of course these other options may carry added costs...but how much do you value your safety and peace of mind?

I'm talking about the people who show up at the gate and see a MAX parked out front OR people who have already booked. Those are the ones that should be re-accommodated if they desire WITHOUT having to pay anything.

Peoriaman1 Mar 11, 2019 9:19 am

Is driving an option? But I'll go out on a limb and suggest the MAX is probably safer.

I wonder how many people at the gate could identify a MAX parked there if they saw one?

txhyattlvr Mar 11, 2019 9:21 am

Originally Posted by mctrees02 (Post 30872930)

Also, I don't know if your doing this or not, but please don't denigrate the Chinese. Yes, I know lots of people out there are saying they made an essentially corrupt decision that had nothing to do with safety. However, the opposite could also be true: the FAA is making a corrupt decision by NOT grounding the planes in order to protect Boeing. Of course, nobody would argue the fine people in the Trump Administration are corrupt, or would sacrifice safety to satisfy America's largest exporter, now would they????

txhyattlvr Mar 11, 2019 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1 (Post 30872979)
Is driving an option? But I'll go out on a limb and suggest the MAX is probably safer.

Look, if you want to put you and your kids on an airliner with two remarkably similar crashes in 4 or so months, and with a highly-controversial flight control system, then be my guest. All I'm saying is people should have a choice, and Southwest should be a good enough company to allow for that choice to occur without any sort of penalty or impediment.

ATLflyer2017 Mar 11, 2019 9:37 am

You should be grateful they aren't charging a change fee! If you are so concerned, pay the difference in fare. Southwest is already extremely loose when it comes to allowing changes, etc. They give every customer the choice to change their flight for free regardless of what airplane crashes and when. However they aren't going to put you on a more expensive routing for free.

Often1 Mar 11, 2019 9:43 am

There is no way I would board a MAX and no way I would send a family member on one. If it costs more, it costs more. That may change as information becomes available. But, for the moment, the decision is simple.

Buzzardgut Mar 11, 2019 9:45 am

I would think if WN allows these changes then they are acknowledging there's a problem. Their position is that there is no problem, i think. I haven't read much actual news about it other than what's being posted on the forums.

txhyattlvr Mar 11, 2019 9:49 am

It's being reported on some other message boards that they are now allowing no-charge changes off the MAX (and that United has quietly grounded theirs). Can anyone confirm?

Jaimito Cartero Mar 11, 2019 9:50 am

I’d fly in a Max plane, certainly. I might think twice about sending family members. The chances of a problem are rather miniscule. And now Boeing will be under great pressure to come up with a good solution.

ATLflyer2017 Mar 11, 2019 9:52 am

I know AA grounded some of theirs to fix an issue with the overhead bins. The airlines can't really make a decision as to whether these aircraft are able to fly until the FAA or Boeing release more information about the recent (2) crashes.

rsteinmetz70112 Mar 11, 2019 9:56 am

Originally Posted by lighthouse206 (Post 30873130)
It's being reported on some other message boards that they are now allowing no-charge changes off the MAX (and that United has quietly grounded theirs). Can anyone confirm?

Who is "they"?

MSPeconomist Mar 11, 2019 10:02 am

Originally Posted by Buzzardgut (Post 30873105)
I would think if WN allows these changes then they are acknowledging there's a problem. Their position is that there is no problem, i think. I haven't read much actual news about it other than what's being posted on the forums.

Are there liability issues if they deny someone a (free) change and then there's a crash involving the same person being on the flight they were trying to avoid? I know that some employers don't force any particular carriers due to potential liability concerns.

WN's normal change/cancel policy is very generous. With no change fees, it's not unreasonable to be asked to pay the fare difference when, for instance, fare class availability is restricted on the new flight.

croberts134 Mar 11, 2019 10:08 am

Originally Posted by lighthouse206 (Post 30873130)

There are 7 UA Max 9's in the air right now...