Accessing the Southwest website from Europe

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 5:58 am
Original Poster

Accessing the Southwest website from Europe

Hi!

I am in Sweden, and when I try to access the Southwest website I get

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "xxx" on this server.
Reference #18.b43b3217.1551358395.e1d977d4

(replaced www southwest com with xxx)

I've google a bit, and this problem seems to occurring quite often. Don't they want to sell tickets to foreigners?
Old Feb 28, 2019, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
And there is the weekly post about trying to get to WN site from overseas.

Sorry - does not work. Been that way somewhere near "forever".
Old Feb 28, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They have pretty clearly enabled Akamai's location-based blacklisting. Note the error message above matches Akamai's documentation for blocked/blacklisted IP's. There's speculation they are doing this out of security concerns (possible account compromises/hijacking), or perhaps tax/regulation concerns (by selling tickets outside their markets). You can get around it by going through a VPN/tunnel that uses US-based IP addresses.

https://community.akamai.com/custome...language=en_US

It's also possible the address space you are using has a poor reputation score. But given the widespread reports, it's seems pretty clear WN is simply using location-based blocks. You can check IP address reputation score and whether it's blacklisted here --
https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/
ursine1 likes this.

Last edited by xliioper; Feb 28, 2019 at 7:27 am
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:30 am

You shouldn't need to re-validate your "reputation score" outside North America.

SWA obviously doesn't regard this as critical.

"We're sorry about the difficulty accessing Southwest.com. We've made the appropriate departments aware of the issue."
Lindsey
Community Manager
The Southwest Airlines Community
Old Feb 28, 2019, 8:48 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, WN A-List
Worked in the UK last month

Did work for me just fine to purchase a ticket. I was logged to my RR account.

As others have suggested something like ExpressVPN is a good tool to have for this kind of geofencing problem.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:33 pm

Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:39 am
Original Poster

1. If it is by design, the error message should be improved to say that.
  2. How can you know how many tickets you would sell, if you make impossible to buy them?
Given United tickets from Sweden to places such Las Vegas and Denver seem to be about 300USD more than tickets to Los Angeles and San Franscisco, there is potentially some demand for split tickets. Also some visitors want to go both coasts in one trip. That's us. United open-jaw + Frontier one-way was the best I could find for us.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 12:52 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
As someone who frequently deals with security issues on internet facing resources, and has done geo blocking before to deflect denial of service and other attacks, that is almost certainly what Southwest is doing. The explanation given by a social media team has little to do with actual motivation. It's to cut down fraud and DoS risk. Because of that, there's no real value in customizing the error message. If someone needs clarification they'll contact another way, as you have.

Your workaround is to use a US VPN service. There are many and they are inexpensive (some only a couple dollars for a month service).
sonofzeus and joshua362 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atsak
As someone who frequently deals with security issues on internet facing resources, and has done geo blocking before to deflect denial of service and other attacks, that is almost certainly what Southwest is doing. The explanation given by a social media team has little to do with actual motivation. It's to cut down fraud and DoS risk. Because of that, there's no real value in customizing the error message. If someone needs clarification they'll contact another way, as you have.

Your workaround is to use a US VPN service. There are many and they are inexpensive (some only a couple dollars for a month service).
Fraud-risk perhaps, but DoS potential is very limited given that southwest.com is behind Akamai CDN (the entity that is generating the above error message). Akamai distributes southwest.com content to hundreds of servers around the globe. If one server comes under attack, they can just shift traffic from that server to another one that is not under attack.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:22 am

Programs: Hilton Gold Mariott Gold Aeroplan E25K SAS Gold NEXUS
Originally Posted by LBJ
Fraud-risk perhaps, but DoS potential is very limited given that southwest.com is behind Akamai CDN (the entity that is generating the above error message). Akamai distributes southwest.com content to hundreds of servers around the globe. If one server comes under attack, they can just shift traffic from that server to another one that is not under attack.
True, unless the target is Southwest. Some of the larger DoS's perpetrated by state actors are capable of and have overwhelmed CDN's (I don't recall if Akamai was previously or not). Null routing or deflecting IP blocks that have little business implications due to service area is not a bad practice IMO.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 3:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If Southwest's logic were sound, then why wouldn't every airline that does not operate to <wherever I am right now> block me?

Southwest is literally the only airline I've ever had this problem with. And I am often in one part of the world buying a ticket, looking up an itin, or just browsing fares on the website of an airline that operates exclusively in other parts of the world. Sometimes good-sized carriers; sometimes really small mom & pop operators. It seems to be Southwest and their primitive IT capabilities that uniquely have this problem.
ursine1 and joshua362 like this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atsak
Cheap+fast+good
https://www.tunnelbear.com/
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:20 am

Had the same problems from Europe to book WN flights. Sometimes itīs working if I choose the flight I want from google flights, which is directing me to an working Southwest website. But usually the easiest way to get acess is via VPN. The browser ad-on hola is working fine, is free and had no problem to book WN flights.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Opera browser has a built-in free vpn and loves lo-spec devices.

https://www.opera.com/
ursine1 likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
I have the opposite problem as I work for a German based company. When I am VPN'd from my home office, WN.com doesn't work...so I always have to remember to drop my VPN before trying to go to the website when working from home. It's pretty maddening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.