Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

"No Frills Southwest May Start Charging for Some Frills"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"No Frills Southwest May Start Charging for Some Frills"

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by synergistic
I'd personally like to see some additional food offerings - shelf stable snack boxes with cheese, meats, and crackers, perhaps? I can't imagine them offering food that requires prep or refrigeration, but I'd love to see other options. On short flights, pretzels are fine, and I've gotten used to packing my own extra food, but I'd definitely purchase a reasonably priced meat and cheese box.

All I care about fee wise is that change fees stay away. I can handle almost any other change, even checked bag fees, because of the way I pack. Change fees would be the end of WN for me.
Doubt that they try food or change fees, although BE has become wildly successful on the legacies and there may be some demand for it on WN, e.g. a "use or lose" product with a late boarding order.

The idea of selling the aisle and window in the first four rows and exits and reserving those so that purchasers, largely an enticement to business travelers who would not need to be at the gate until the last minute is interesting. The question is whether people would pay a $50+ premium for that on a long-ish flight. Goes without saying that this moves the person holding A-1 down below preboards and roughly other 20 others, so perhaps to what would have been A-25 to 30 or worse in the past.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:31 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by GreenPlastic
If these new revenues affect change fees or luggage, SWA will be close enough to other airlines that I will just pick the cheapest/most convenient option and not be as loyal as I have been. They have built up a lot of good will; I hope they don’t flush it down the drain with one short-sighted move.
+1.
I don't think they can add change fees or baggage fees. They'd really lose their customer base over this. I've seen threads on the board before asking "why is Southwest more expensive than other carriers?" and the answer is usually, "it's not" if you factor in baggage fees, seat fees to get your family together, change fees, etc. I used to think AA was a more premium product than Southwest. The truth was that I was a more premium passenger level (Platinum) so I was immune to baggage fees and seat fees and boarding last with no overhead bin space. Now that my husband has dropped to Gold, and I've dropped to nothing on AA - I discovered why SW has such a fan base.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:20 am
Suspended

Always possible that WN goes to one bag included (nothing is free), but given the fact that more and more business travelers do not check bags and, if they are elite, get an included bag on a mainline carrier, WN really won't suffer that much in terms of real net revenue loss if it did trim the bag benefit back.
synergistic likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Maybe it's a hybrid of boarding order and blocking the front half of the cabin. For instance, families can preboard if they wish, but only to the rear of the plane. Otherwise, board in your issued order.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Maybe it's a hybrid of boarding order and blocking the front half of the cabin. For instance, families can preboard if they wish, but only to the rear of the plane. Otherwise, board in your issued order.
This makes sense.

Not sure if it was just SFO, but when I had A List, even when A1 - 16 were empty, the odds of getting the first bulkhead rows were slim to none, since the pre-boarding entourage always had first dibs.
apeoples13 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
I can’t see them selling or blocking a set of seats. Too much work for the flight crew to keep people out of those seats and too many years of "take any seat".

I could see them selling an annual subscription for Early Bird with guaranteed selection first at T-24 regardless of when ticket was purchased. What would you pay for that... $200?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer
I can’t see them selling or blocking a set of seats. Too much work for the flight crew to keep people out of those seats and too many years of "take any seat".
It would still be this way - except for preboarding families. For them, it would be "Take any seat behind the exit rows, or wait until your assigned boarding number is called." Easy peasy.

I could imagine boarding this way:

1) Families with small children may preboard now if they are OK with any seats behind the exit row. If you prefer not to preboard now, you may board in your normal order as shown on your boarding pass.

2) Disabilities, military, A-List Titanium, if your name has more vowels than consonants, whatever "regular" preboarding occurs now.

3) Everyone else, in A/B/C order.

Simple. The only real change addresses the family/preboard issue and gives them the choice: Board first but only to the back half; or board according to the number on your boarding pass. Everyone else boards as they do now.

The FAs would only need to "police" the family preboarders.
Insulator-King likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond *Wood Gold, Hertz PC
DenverBrian, I’m not certain what people are paying for to generate incremental revenue in that scenario, although I do like the family preboard behind the exit row idea. If I’m paying extra for first 4 rows or exit row I’m going to expect it to be there for me if I board first or 100th.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: WN A+/CP, UA 2P, National Car Exec, Hyatt Platinum, HH Diamond
I'm not sure about the viability of the "preboarding families" practice. Last week when I boarded a flight at LAX, the gate agent told preboarders: "You can board with only one family member or companion, maximum."
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
As long as it takes advantage of folks' front-seating fetishes- and ONLY that- I won't care.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by WestCoastFlyer
DenverBrian, I’m not certain what people are paying for to generate incremental revenue in that scenario, although I do like the family preboard behind the exit row idea. If I’m paying extra for first 4 rows or exit row I’m going to expect it to be there for me if I board first or 100th.
That is the entire purpose of the leaked Chase concept. Those first 4 rows + exit are reserved for people purchasing BS+ or whatever WN would call it. Those people could board at any time and would presumably choose to board last and skip the whole lining up thing. OH space for those rows would be held for them as well.

The other feature I can see is an inflexible product comparable to Basic Economy on the legacies. A step below WGA and for that you get the same service level, but no changes for any reason. The breakage on those tickets is apparently quite high, but it's also a choice people make.
apeoples13 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by BarryPeters
I'm not sure about the viability of the "preboarding families" practice. Last week when I boarded a flight at LAX, the gate agent told preboarders: "You can board with only one family member or companion, maximum."
Yes, fortunately they seem to be enforcing this more stringently within the past few months.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:23 pm

Programs: UA, SWA, WJA, National, Marriott
I am primarily a business flyer on Southwest, Anytime or BS fares make no difference to me, BS falls in to an unspoken gray area of within the expense policy since it does not get flagged. I would like more seat pitch so I could comfortably use my laptop. Even if the person in front doesn't tilt their seat back, my laptop is usually resting against the seat back and i'm typing like with my T-rex arms. If they decide they need to tilt back for that hour or four, i'm resorting to using my legs.

Would like to see something like this, opens the door to true multi class though, on the fence about that.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: DEN: WN or UA, AA LT Gold, VIA Preference Preferred
Originally Posted by Often1
Presumably the full scope is proprietary, but the part which is being publicly reported is from financial advisors (banks) who suggest that a quasi-seat assignment would be created by blocking some number of what are thought to be the most desireable seats and selling those at a premium, thus allowing people to pay more to board last and have a guaranteed good seat as well as reserved OH. These passengers would also largely exit first at the destination simply because most of those seats, exit rows aside, are near the front.
I read this as pressure from financial analysts to increase WN’s profits and/or stock price. Doesn’t mean actual WN management will change anything. Still worth watching to see if WN management can resist calls to increase profits at the expense of the brand. Daze
Old Feb 10, 2019, 10:47 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Often1
Those first 4 rows + exit are reserved for people purchasing BS+ or whatever WN would call it. Those people could board at any time and would presumably choose to board last and skip the whole lining up thing.
How would WN accommodate ACAA pax that required specific seating?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.