Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No more MEX from march 30

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
No more MEX from march 30

This was a blip in the earnings call. Disappointing but not a surprise with so much competition on the route with UA, Aeromexico, interjet, and sometimes volaris and viva aerobus all going there.

Last edited by slickvik; Jan 24, 2019 at 1:55 pm
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Disappointing, this was the one international destination I was interested in.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Wow, some airlines will love to get their hands on those day time SLOTS @ MEX.
But yes, MEX is very very difficult, as many people still book via Travel Agencies when travelling internationally (Specially Corporate).
Also, seasonality is very complex @ MEX when it comes to making money on those flights. And if you add competition on the route, well ...
As long as WN stays in PVR, SJD & CUN, I am still happy.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Radisson Rewards Gold, Best Western Diamond Select
Originally Posted by carlitos
But yes, MEX is very very difficult, as many people still book via Travel Agencies when travelling internationally (Specially Corporate).
Also, seasonality is very complex @ MEX when it comes to making money on those flights. And if you add competition on the route, well ...
As long as WN stays in PVR, SJD & CUN, I am still happy.
Some corporate agencies can book southwest
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 3:21 pm

Southwest Discontinuing Flights to Mexico City in March

As a Dallasite, I felt like the SW flight to Mexico City was my little secret - VERY affordable and easy to book on little notice. I will certainly miss this international option. I may try to go one more time before the flights cease at the end of March . . . Did others enjoy Mexico City as an international option as much as I did?
Old Jan 24, 2019, 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by MaegUT07
As a Dallasite, I felt like the SW flight to Mexico City was my little secret - VERY affordable and easy to book on little notice. I will certainly miss this international option. I may try to go one more time before the flights cease at the end of March . . . Did others enjoy Mexico City as an international option as much as I did?
The "very affordable" part likely hastened the end. Southwest is hooked on tropical beach vacation packages. GDL and MEX are for dazzling urbanites, to coin a Mel Brooks phrase.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MaegUT07
... Did others enjoy Mexico City as an international option as much as I did?
Yes. Except it was such a secret here at SNA that by the time we knew about it, they were discontinuing service. . I sure wish they had more international options out of SoCal (even if we have to drive to LA, because we do for the other airlines). For destinations such as LIR, CUN, SJO, we've found that we can usually get home in one day, but have difficulty finding an outbound flight because they leave too early in the day from HOU for us to even get a connection.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I wonder if these planes are shifting to Hawaii.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:46 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by carlitos
MEX will only get more difficult now that AMLO has killed NAICM.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:05 am

I have flights booked to MEX in May/June. Haven't gotten any notice from Southwest. They still show up normally in my account as booked.

I even called them tonight and was told all flights previously booked will operate, which doesn't seem correct, per these news reports.

What should I expect for compensation? Just a refund? This is going to create a significant cost to either cancel the trip or fly another airline.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by eerickson7
I have flights booked to MEX in May/June. Haven't gotten any notice from Southwest. They still show up normally in my account as booked.

I even called them tonight and was told all flights previously booked will operate, which doesn't seem correct, per these news reports.
That is weird. Generally in the past when SWA has stopped serving a destination they operated all scheduled flights but didn't add new ones as the schedule was extended.

I just checked, they are not selling any new tickets after March 30.

I wonder what they will do. I would definitely look into it further. You could try Twitter or calling the Customer Service number in Dallas.
I believe they are only legally obligated to give you a refund, but making alternate arrangements could be expensive.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:37 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by Tanic
MEX will only get more difficult now that AMLO has killed NAICM.
Exactly, but the thing is everyone will kill for a SLOT, or better said, a PRIME Slot at MEX, as there will never be a new airport, at least in the next 6 years.
But well, lets just wait and see what WN does with the tickets that are issued after April 1st. I would guess a full refund, but like other FT said, he should be protected in another airline to IAH. Big problem when WN does not interline nor has protection contracts with other airlines.
What I am desperately waiting for is for Hawaii service, but without ETOPS due to partial government shut down, that one happen any time before MEX gets cancelled.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
That is weird. Generally in the past when SWA has stopped serving a destination they operated all scheduled flights but didn't add new ones as the schedule was extended.

I just checked, they are not selling any new tickets after March 30.

I wonder what they will do. I would definitely look into it further. You could try Twitter or calling the Customer Service number in Dallas.
I believe they are only legally obligated to give you a refund, but making alternate arrangements could be expensive.
Yes, and I've yet to find any travel insurance that will cover this scenario as a "covered reason" for Trip Cancellation.
Some will cover this under "trip delay" if you were already on your vacation (ie, roundtrip from US, and you flew the first part), and even then they won't cover the purchase of a new plane ticket, they'll only cover the cancellation fee of the original ticket (if any).

If anyone does find a travel insurance policy that covers this event, let me know. But so far they only cover "carrier default".
The one exception I found is if you're flying to a Cruise departure, and you can't get there on time, then they'll sometimes consider that a "trip cancellation" covered event.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 9:53 am

How much were the Southwest flights? What are other airlines charging now for these flights 4-5 months away? What non-refundable expenses have you incurred?
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:00 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by eerickson7

What should I expect for compensation? Just a refund? This is going to create a significant cost to either cancel the trip or fly another airline.
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Yes, likely "just" a refund.
trouble747 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.