Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Disabled man forced to pre-board WN, wife not allowed to accompany

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2018, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond

Something sounds off to me here..

Disabled man forced to pre-board Reagan Southwest flight alone, separated from wife battling cancer - Story | WTTG
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:09 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Obviously something happened here, and my heart goes out to the couple who experienced this.
Complete speculation on my part, but do folks know what the procedure is if someone tries to pre-board without having the pre-board authorization on their boarding pass? I wonder if the couple didn't know that they had to ask for it, and when trying to pre-board, the man with the more easily seeable disability was allowed to pre-board, but they didn't allow someone to accompany him? (That still doesn't make much sense to me though).
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:20 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It's a media report. Nothing the OP or any reliable third-party witnesses.

So, unless someone has some facts, this will just spin into an FT speculation thread.
windscar, ryw, PlaneJane1 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
i would agree. There is more to this story.

And, in the end, they both left on the same flight and got to meet their granddaughter.

I find it a bit shameful that the media opted to make this a story as if someone was denied boarding, or a flight, or unable to meet family. Then they used TSA scanning while talking about boarding pass scanning.

Yes, I feel for the folks getting dealt a bad hand here - if that is what truly happened.

Damned media.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:12 pm

I suspect the facts are somehow mangled. I can't imagine any OA telling anyone it was "illegal" for someone to board with a per-board.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
i would agree. There is more to this story.

And, in the end, they both left on the same flight and got to meet their granddaughter.
They were heading home back to Omaha. The piece made that clear.

Not unusual for a station to have no B-roll of WN gate scanners. Permission to enter the concourse is mazy and using another airline's gate as a generic would be malicious.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by ryw
Obviously something happened here, and my heart goes out to the couple who experienced this.
Complete speculation on my part, but do folks know what the procedure is if someone tries to pre-board without having the pre-board authorization on their boarding pass? I wonder if the couple didn't know that they had to ask for it, and when trying to pre-board, the man with the more easily seeable disability was allowed to pre-board, but they didn't allow someone to accompany him? (That still doesn't make much sense to me though).
I don't know you have to have it on your boarding pass.
LegalTender and windscar like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I don't know you have to have it on your boarding pass.
Me too, maybe its a Southwest thing as a result of the way they do seat selection?
Old Dec 31, 2018, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by LegalTender
They were heading home back to Omaha. The piece made that clear......
I missed that. Make the story even more of a NON-STORY. They made such a deal of visiting family and it appears that part is already DONE and they were going home.
PlaneJane1 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: Hilton LTD, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LTTE, AA LTP, Avis PC, National EE, Seabourn DE
Originally Posted by windscar
Me too, maybe its a Southwest thing as a result of the way they do seat selection?
I avoid WN. In part, because I watched too many people scamming the disabled pre boarding. Entire groups let on because someone stubbed their toe.
Traveller2 and Proudelitist like this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hedoman
I avoid WN. In part, because I watched too many people scamming the disabled pre boarding. Entire groups let on because someone stubbed their toe.
I agree with that totally. Way too many go for "disabled boarding".

Similar to pets that are not medically necessary - mentioned with fear that will start another long debate - LOL!

Of course, none of those people can sit in exit rows. SW makes them sit up front. They can not just go picking seats.

The family thing is a bit crazy as well meaning all those folks basically get B1 boarding, without paying extra for it.

Still - no reason for us to avoid SW. I still like flying with them.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold / Marriott Bonvoy(age) Titanium Elite, IHG Platinum, WN A+/CP, Hilton Diamond
I think Southwest Airlines should be canonized by the Pope....they perform thousands of miracles everyday on their flights. I see entire plane loads of pre-board wheelchair pax suddenly jump up and walk off the aircraft upon arrival. Its amazing how well WN FAs can make people walk perfectly fine after each flight! They should be called St. Southwest!
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by isaac.chambers
I think Southwest Airlines should be canonized by the Pope....they perform thousands of miracles everyday on their flights. I see entire plane loads of pre-board wheelchair pax suddenly jump up and walk off the aircraft upon arrival. Its amazing how well WN FAs can make people walk perfectly fine after each flight! They should be called St. Southwest!
Thank you. I like this.

It is very, very true.
joshua362 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 5:58 pm

I always wonder how these things get to the news. It sounds like there was a misunderstanding somewhere, maybe human error but my goodness, there was no trauma or suffering until the parties involved overreact and make it bigger than it was. Do they call the news and say “southwest wouldn’t let us board together!’l and the news actually runs with it?? Mind boggling.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 6:34 pm

It's not "mind boggling" that a station would do a feature on a medically-challenged couple running up against an autocrat.

"Our people are well versed in our published preboarding policies, and they work hard to enforce the integrity of those procedures specifically designed to ensure care and attention to unique travel needs of customers with disabilities. We’ve reached back to this customer to learn more about his concerns and experience. If there were any missed opportunities, we’d have those conversations internally."
USAToday

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.