Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Newbie ?: Just got A-List-will it automatically apply to existing reservations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 3:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,

Hi all, sorry for a somewhat basic question - but I couldn't find on search (even though I'm sure I'm not the first).

Just made A-List from 0 status - have already booked flights over Christmas and paid for early bird. Will the A-list automatically be applied to that reservation or do I need to call in? (I know I won't be refunded for the early bird - and that's cool with me. I'd rather have the even earlier A-List boarding.

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Hi all, sorry for a somewhat basic question - but I couldn't find on search (even though I'm sure I'm not the first).

Just made A-List from 0 status - have already booked flights over Christmas and paid for early bird. Will the A-list automatically be applied to that reservation or do I need to call in? (I know I won't be refunded for the early bird - and that's cool with me. I'd rather have the even earlier A-List boarding.

Thanks!
A-List does not increase your boarding position any better than EB... It is always a random algorithm.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by Blitzjb
A-List does not increase your boarding position any better than EB... It is always a random algorithm.

Sure it does
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
And there is no reason to believe that it is a random algorithm.

I believe that you must call in and get A-list added to your existing reservations, must I am not positive about that. It sure can't hurt to call in.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 9:57 am

Huh? Have you ever actually flown Southwest?

Both increase your boarding position.

A-Lister's positions are assigned prior to EBCI. Nothing -- literally nothing -- about the process is "random."

To the OP: Your status should eventually populate to your existing reservations, but I'd recommend calling and having it added manually. (It's probably worth asking about an EBCI refund as well, although technically it's "non-refundable."
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
I am A-list... trying to remember my last 4 flights. No paid EBCI on any of those

a-17, a-21, a31, a 24

Random? I think not.
100% logical? - that is another story not worth dealing with LOL!
Old Dec 14, 2018, 10:33 am

AL+, all 50+ flights this year have been A16-A21 as long as I booked the flight before T-36
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:28 pm

I have been an A- lister for a while. Earn companion every year. yada yada yada
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
so, are you saying that you get B boarding sometimes as an A-lister?
Old Dec 14, 2018, 1:58 pm

B? with the peasants? G-D forbid! I always have the A - whether A-List or EB..... The placement
seems very random.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:27 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
Another data point: A-List since late July 2018.
Flown 16 segments with all reservations made after A-List status granted. All BPs between A-21 and A-30.
Prior to July 2018, no status and when using E-Bird, got between A-27 and A-46. So I agree with those saying that Boarding sequence is not random.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 3:35 pm

This is just plain wrong and contrary to SWA published information.
darthbimmer and ursine1 like this.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 4:58 pm

I have been an A- lister for a while. Earn companion every year. yada yada yada
And you think that status gives you no benefit in boarding position?!

​​​​​​
Old Dec 14, 2018, 5:07 pm

B? with the peasants? G-D forbid! I always have the A - whether A-List or EB..... The placement
seems very random.
You're A-List, but you buy EBCI?!

For the record:

A-Listers are assigned positions after those held for BS, beginning at A-16. Within the A-List group, Preferred comes first, and the balance is assigned in an order known only to Southwest. Common thinking is that the algorithm is based on some combination of flight frequency and fare paid. While it may seem random, that's because we don't have enough data to understand the ranking.

EBCI positions, which follow A-Listers, are assigned with those on AT fares coming first, and the balance assigned based on chronological order of EBCI purchase.

These are well known facts.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ursine1
You're A-List, but you buy EBCI?!
I thought A-Listers were literally not allowed to buy EBCI. No?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.