Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flights from FLL to DCA extremely high and no WGA???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 13, 2018, 10:28 am
Original Poster

I am very confused about all of this. I usually fly SW and I always see WGA tickets available and I mean ALWAYS. I have been looking from tickets back to DC/BWI from FLL and for December 30th or 31st and they are mostly all $500 and up and not a single WGA option. Now, I understand this the end of the year and it is the holidays but who will want to be flying from a warm and beach weather to snow for New Year’s Eve? However, the tickets from DC/BWI to Fort Lauderdale are so cheap on those same exact days..... That makes absolutely nothing sense to me and I am trying to make some sense of this... Does anybody have any experience with this that can help me understand?
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:20 am

Not sure what you're looking at. There are 2 non-stops FLL-DCA, and on 12/30 one of the two has a WGA fare. On 12/31 both non-stops have WGA fares.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 11:45 am
Original Poster

The flights from Florida is usually less than $150 and $300 it is still too high based on the prices I have always seen, regardless of being the holidays.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:03 pm

You are trying to fly on a heavy travel day out of FLL. Most people going there for the holidaies are already there and in fact some are already leaving. The Orange Bowl ( a college semi-final this year) is the 29.
LegalTender likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

I was honestly trying to figure out what was going on that was so expensive leaving a warm place to a cold place and how come the tickets leaving the DC area to FLL is very cheap on the same day. My logic was that people would be leaving the cold to go spend New Year’s Eve on a warm place and not the other way around. I guess the Orange Bowl explains it all.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:19 pm

Same thing happened last year with the Rose Bowl. It was cheaper for me to put my daughter and her boyfriend up in a hotel in California a couple more days than fly them back to ATL from any of the LA airports until a couple days after the game.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

I am screwed!!! The problem is that we are flying from Brazil to Florida and we live in DC. It is 3 adults, a 7 yo and 17 month old baby. I can’t even change the tickets to fly directly to DC instead because flying to Brazil and from Brazil to DC at that time of the year is extremely expensive :-/

After a 13 hours flight to Florida with two little ones I don’t think driving would be doable... I need to suck it up and pay $300 plus baggage thought a different airline— that is better than a $500 ticket :-(
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Lorraine Barbosa
I am screwed!!! The problem is that we are flying from Brazil to Florida and we live in DC. It is 3 adults, a 7 yo and 17 month old baby. I can’t even change the tickets to fly directly to DC instead because flying to Brazil and from Brazil to DC at that time of the year is extremely expensive :-/

After a 13 hours flight to Florida with two little ones I don’t think driving would be doable... I need to suck it up and pay $300 plus baggage thought a different airline— that is better than a $500 ticket :-(
Why not take the $375 flight on the 30th or the $297 on the 31st? There's also a $248 non-stop to BWI on the 30th, but first thing in the morning, I assume that's too early if you're getting into FLL on the 30th.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:44 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Lorraine Barbosa
I was honestly trying to figure out what was going on that was so expensive leaving a warm place to a cold place and how come the tickets leaving the DC area to FLL is very cheap on the same day. My logic was that people would be leaving the cold to go spend New Year’s Eve on a warm place and not the other way around. I guess the Orange Bowl explains it all.
I always came back from visiting S. Florida on the 31st or 30th because the room rates in S. Florida shoot up before Bowl Games and New Year's Eve.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

I guess it is just so hard to pay $300 for a ticket when you have paid $100 or less before flying out the same place around the same date. Hopper is telling me to wait because the price will drop so I will see.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
JetBlue, $86 FLL-DCA.
Often1 likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
JetBlue, $86 FLL-DCA.
ON 12/30 or 12/31? Not seeing anything under $240 those days
Old Sep 13, 2018, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
My mistake. I wound up with a search for 1/31, not 12/31.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 8:09 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Yes, try and go on a different day. Leave the little ones with relatives if it helps.

Huge travel days around the holidays are best avoided if at all possible.
Old Sep 14, 2018, 5:57 pm

Perhaps look into Spirit's FLL-BWI. While this is a Southwest forum, Spirit keeps Southwest honest on routes it competes. From what I see now, it's more than $100 less per ticket. Try to buy the tickets at an airport counter, where it costs $18.99 less per ticket and the agent might be able to assign seats as well without charge. And for baggage, fit everything in one or two suitcases at 40lbs or less per bag and expect it around $30 per bag.

Last edited by beyondhere; Sep 14, 2018 at 6:03 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.