Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

New policy? Carry your boarding pass on board...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New policy? Carry your boarding pass on board...

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2018, 10:26 am

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Paper-saurs? Is that an insult?
No, Ink​​​​​​​, as many of us on this board would agree, you have special status, even if you don’t fly as much these days.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Boarding at SMF yesterday the gate agent told those using smart phone passes to turn up the brightness to maximum and "if you are having trouble scanning your pass, we will ask you to step aside and let other passengers board while you fix your phone."

That would solve many objections to electronic BP use.
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 13, 2018, 11:53 am

Wallet and Google Pay automatically lock auto-rotate and turn brightness to maximum.

Even with optimal settings on one's phone, it does seem to take very slightly longer to scan it vs a paper BP. There's no reason it should be this way, this is a problem with Southwest's systems, not the mobile boarding pass technology. (Yes, shocking that a Southwest IT implementation is less than ideal.) One hopes they fix this... eventually.
Old May 13, 2018, 1:22 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
Originally Posted by mdword
Just fyi- I don't know if they're coming back, but at least as of Thursday, the kiosks by the pre lane at MDW are gone.

​​​​​​
Those kiosks have been gone for quite a while (months now).
Old May 13, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Never use those kiosks - always print my boarding pass at home. Sometimes, I have a backup on my phone, but have never needed it.
Old May 13, 2018, 6:43 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by ursine1
Even with optimal settings on one's phone, it does seem to take very slightly longer to scan it vs a paper BP. There's no reason it should be this way, this is a problem with Southwest's systems, not the mobile boarding pass technology. (Yes, shocking that a Southwest IT implementation is less than ideal.) One hopes they fix this... eventually.
While I am no IT guru, I am not convinced you are correct about that. I know of multiple situations where the paper scans better than the phone image.
Old May 13, 2018, 9:22 pm

I use mobile all the time. Once it wouldn't pull up when I was like 2 people away at TSA, so I just let a couple people go ahead of me and then walked up when it had stopped spinning! Google Pay integration will be nice to avoid that problem.
I've never even had issues with boarding with a BP on a smart watch on Delta when they let you do that as well!
Old May 13, 2018, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by chuckworth

Those kiosks have been gone for quite a while (months now).
That was poor wording on my part. I meant that they're gone and if they're coming back, it hasn't happened yet (or hadn't as of Thursday).
Old May 13, 2018, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
While I am no IT guru, I am not convinced you are correct about that. I know of multiple situations where the paper scans better than the phone image.
Then those are multiple bad implementations.

Season tickets to the Golden Knights at T-Mobile, always digital, scans instantly. Perhaps because it's all relatively new equipment... but still.
Old May 14, 2018, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I find it very curious how these days people will attack and insult if you if you do not do everything exactly the way they do.

Or don’t agree with them lockstep on all political/gender matters or whatever.

Guess I am getting old and out-of-step. Me and Kanye.
When you start yelling "Get off my lawn!" you are then officially a Codger.
tatterdema likes this.
Old May 14, 2018, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
I seem to always have wifi pick up and create a pop up to join on my phone as soon as I try and show the BP at TSA. Stopped this by taking a screen shot of the BP, and then keeping wifi off. easier than using the BP in the app.

not sure if this would help on battery life, but it might since you dont need to have cell or wifi connection for it to work (i take the screen shot the night before)
Old May 15, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: Southwest
I tried it both ways and I find the paper method much better for the TSA agent and boarding the flight. No need to mess around the settings on my phone or to slow down the process for those behind me.
Proudelitist likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by lil Gophee
... and I find the paper method much better for the TSA agent
It's actually faster at the TDC to use a phone (which NEVER has any scanning issues) as you can drop your phone on their reader and remove it; if you use paper they all do that stupid "write a term paper on it" BS- which we now know is more stupid and useless security theater, since electronic BPs don't get nor need such treatment. I asked a TSA about that once- surprise, he didn't know the answer.
ursine1 likes this.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:55 am

Phone is definitely faster at security. The only scanning issue I've ever had was when WN's PreCheck, despite showing, wasn't scanning correctly. Which was a (temporary) WN IT issue.

This is offset slightly by the need to put the phone away before you enter the scanner (paper can stay in your hand), but I just slide mine into my backpack as I put it on the xray conveyor belt.
kennycrudup and steved5480 like this.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
It's been many years since I've had to wait for a kiosk at the airport to print out my boarding pass.

I have a flip phone because it's easy to use and has buttons instead of swipe everything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.