Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Why do people fly WN when the fares are not competitive?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do people fly WN when the fares are not competitive?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
It has to be better than a Short 330. Oops. Just told my age.
I suspect I'm not much younger than you, and used to go BOS-ACY via PHL on US scAir back in the day, with the last segment being on a Shorts 360.

Actually, I sort of liked it. If the winds were just right ....
... I did not. I don't scare easily, yet if "the winds were just right" you'd maybe have level flight, but otherwise if a bird flew by or someone sneezed/pharted the whole applecart seemed to upset. Lots of claw marks in those armrests, and there were some landings one could have ... created diamonds ... from the heat and pressure
Old Apr 21, 2018, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You don't mention where you're flying from, nor where you're going. It's got to be a decent sized airport if it has WN service at all.
Albuquerque. It's a decent sized airport that really got screwed over with the repeal of the wright amendment. We used to have direct flights to a lot of locations, but now most flights are only to hubs and many of them are on cramped regional jets like the CRJ 200. United just increased the number of CRJ 200's at ABQ in 2018 I believe. There are actually some locations that used to be a quick one hour flight to, but are now easier to drive to than fly to because you have to go into the wrong direction to get a connecting flight to your final destination (like flying to West Texas). I fly all over, but mostly stay in the West and Southwest.

Originally Posted by captaink
Unless it's a CR2, an RJ is an improvement in passenger experience over a WN 737 in almost every way. Valet check for large carry-ons (no worrying about overhead space, so you can wait to board), guaranteed no middle seats, and on the E-145s. you have a better than 1 in 3 chance at having a window *and* an aisle. The larger E jets offer larger windows and a wider seat than WN does, and a much better lav to pax ratio. Most airlines now have some flavor of wifi+streaming IFE on their regional fleets as well.

That trend isn't changing, btw. The E2 and C-series are growing in to the 737 size class, and are vastly more comfortable aircraft. WN, meanwhile, is committed to the 737 and only the 737 as long as the current management team is in place.
The single biggest factor for me is noise level on aircrafts. I have tinnitus and loud noises make it worse. Rear mounted engines aren't great in that aspect unless you are one one of the large ones seated towards the front.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 10:37 am

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
I fly from ABQ to either the northwest or sometimes TX.

I like the open seating, and do NOT like CR jets.

Free bag fees are really nice too.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
Free bags are great, but they're not really fee if the price is higher.
I hate Regional jets, but I have to say no to the open seating....especially when travelling with family members in tow. Additionally, I have several family members who are anxious flyers, and the cattle call for seats adds to their anxiety...doesn't bother me.
I have earned the companion pass multiple times, but unfortunately, my family hates flying Southwest so I switched airlines.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:06 pm

My sister likes Southwest due to non-stop flights (she has kids and it's easier to get them pacified when the travel day is shorter), and the RR points.

Rarely have I flown Southwest for $ (I use points) and even then it's mostly if it's a direct flight (which from ALB is only to MCO and DEN mostly). Baggage fees (for me) are mostly irrelevant due to my credit card habits getting me free bags. If I can get a direct flight and it's within $50 each way I'm inclined to take Southwest.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ditka
the cattle call for seats..
This "cattle call" stuff is utterly mystifying to me. It's not 1998 any more.

Instead of getting in line 30 seconds before boarding and calmly walking onto the plane in an orderly way, you'd rather endure THIS stuff with hordes of pushing obnoxious legacy gate lice?? Seriously?

Last edited by toomanybooks; Apr 23, 2018 at 2:13 pm
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:39 pm

Programs: SWA CP, UA MP, Hilton G, SPG G
yup-I sit down, i get a coffee, I wait for my boarding group and I casually move to my assigned seat that I picked out the day before. Like I said, I personally don’t care, but anxious family member flyers hate it.

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
This "cattle call" stuff is utterly mystifying to me. It's not 1998 any more.

Instead of getting in line 30 seconds before boarding and calmly walking onto the plane in an orderly way, you'd rather endure THIS stuff with hordes of pushing obnoxious legacy gate lice?? Seriously?

Old Apr 23, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Just saw thread on alaskaforum about huge changes in their program.

Multiple people were talking about moving to WN.
AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:11 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Insulator-King
Just saw thread on alaskaforum about huge changes in their program.

Multiple people were talking about moving to WN.
AS to Introduce "Saver Fares" (Basic Economy), End Fee Waivers and Add Fees
This is an own goal by Alaska. Southwest can safely ignore Alaska's efforts on the West Coast after these changes are implemented.

Is this a consequence of Alaska's overpaying for Virgin America?
joshua362 and NextTrip like this.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Southwest - should I come back?

Originally Posted by nsx
This is an own goal by Alaska. Southwest can safely ignore Alaska's efforts on the West Coast after these changes are implemented.

Is this a consequence of Alaska's overpaying for Virgin America?

While it is true that Southwest is not always the cheapest compared to legacy carriers (the title of this post), at least Southwest is typically upfront about what they are selling customers compared to legacy carriers and the ULCCs. I mostly fly Alaska with elite status between Portland and Texas, but probably 1/3 of my travel is still with Southwest (because only Southwest covers Texas best). After yesterday's announcement by Alaska, I am wondering whether my future is with Southwest completely. I can't believe Alaska doesn't understand who its customers are or who it's competitor is (Southwest, and Southwest). Copying legacy carriers seems like a huge mistake, because Alaska does not have the route network or super luxury of the legacies (No lie-flat seats, no Polaris etc).

I'll have to wait and see what happens, but I may be coming full circle. Southwest, just keep sending me those drink tickets, and I can pretend I'm in Alaska premium class (except I'd get even more snacks on a long Southwest flight). As a kid, my family traveled back and forth to New Orleans from Houston all the time, usually on Southwest, though a few times also on its muse air-acquired subsidiary Texas Trans star (Trans Star gave out little chocolates to all passengers). Before 9-11, when I was in college, I can't tell you how many times I flew between Austin and Houston on Southwest's Monday Night Football $25 price specials going to the super close Robert Mueller airport (though given today's security, it's actually just easier to drive between these cities). I miss the old family section too (with backward facing seats). But, I am so glad Southwest still gives out peanuts!! And I love how flexible Southwest is. I had a friend flying on Southwest DAL to El Paso once, and the plane stopped in Amarillo to pick up stranded passengers due to a broken plane. That was the old days, but Southwest still exhibits that kind of out-of-the-box flexible thinking even today. I like when Southwest waits for customers from another flight - American does not do that any more, even if it's the last flight of the night. AA sends broken planes to Lubbock, and after leaving customers stranded is still late all the time. I could see myself returning to Southwest all in if the Alaska changes get worse.
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
yup-I sit down, i get a coffee, I wait for my boarding group and I casually move to my assigned seat that I picked out the day before. Like I said, I personally don’t care, but anxious family member flyers hate it.

At least WN's gates are designed to handle people lining up, where as at IAH for instance there are masses of people clogging up the main corridor at every gate 30 min prior to boarding because they don't want to be in the back of their little group. I don't know how the fire marshal hasn't put a stop to it.
hurnik likes this.

Last edited by Marko123; Apr 24, 2018 at 3:25 pm
Old Apr 24, 2018, 3:47 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
I cross shop them all the time. Just a few weeks ago it ended up cheaper for me to book a lie flat Mint seat on Jet Blue for a LAS-JFK than a biz select seat on WN.

So to answer OP, I fly WN a lot (already re-qualified for CP this year), but I certainly don't fly them when they're not competitive
Old Apr 25, 2018, 6:50 am

Originally Posted by Marko123
At least WN's gates are designed to handle people lining up, where as at IAH for instance there are masses of people clogging up the main corridor at every gate 30 min prior to boarding because they don't want to be in the back of their little group. I don't know how the fire marshal hasn't put a stop to it.
That would take a lot of fire marshalls standing all over the place. And when the stop it in one area, people would just congregate in another area.

Fire marshals aren't concerned about people standing in a small area at one time. Fire marshalls are concerned about the total occupancy of a building. A group of people near a door will easily clear the area if there was a fire.

I've been in meetings and in buildings where people complain it's too crowded and the fire marshall should clear people out (usually at a town meeting where people are opposed to something). Never once has the person that's worried actually left themselves, because they still want to be there. If they were told there's too many people, they'd want others to leave, but feel they should stay.

So, in the end, it's never about one's own safety - they just want fewer people in their way.
Old Apr 25, 2018, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Alue
Albuquerque. It's a decent sized airport that really got screwed over with the repeal of the wright amendment. We used to have direct flights to a lot of locations, but now most flights are only to hubs and many of them are on cramped regional jets like the CRJ 200. United just increased the number of CRJ 200's at ABQ in 2018 I believe.
It's not that United hates ABQ uniquely. United is adding something like 45 CR2s to the fleet this year even as AA and Delta retire 50-seat RJs.

As for noise, I find any seat ahead of the wing on a CR2/CR7/CR9 to be rather quiet. E75s (flown by Delta, UA, AA and Alaska connections carriers) are pretty good. I am not a fan of E145s, flown for AA and UA.

Yeh, use of ABQ by Southwest to skirt the Wright Amendment was pretty smart. It gave ABQ a good non-stop destination set in the west.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:12 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I tend to think single flyers much prefer open seating. No anxious family members and their endless needs to swap seats, etc.

Or perhaps its just me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.