Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Strategies for optimizing who you get stuck sitting next to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strategies for optimizing who you get stuck sitting next to?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:54 am
Suspended

If I know the flight is not full, then I pick a COS to sit next too. Works every time. If there is a COS in the window and I take the aisle, that leaves a middle next to the COS. I promise you everyone passes that up.

There is also the row 12-16 principle. Most folks will try to sit as close to the front as possible. Later boarders will keep moving back in the hopes of finding an empty window or aisle if they see middle seats in the middle section of the plane. This slightly ups the odds of having nobody beside you on a not full flight.

I pay close attention to who is solo vs a couple in the gate area. Then, if I see a solo person trying to put their junk all over the middle seat to make it appear occupied, I take the remaining seat. Let them do the obnoxious tricks I can benefit from, and they are not saving it for a companion.

I also tend to think that C pass holders are poorer, dirtier and grosser than A and B holders on average..lack of computers, lack of experience, rare fliers, which may indicate lower social status. So if you sit between rows 7 and 12, odds are good that the people who take the middle seats will be at least B people. If you head right to the back, the middle seat person will be the COS with a NASCAR shirt and garbage bags as carry-on luggage.
Marko123 likes this.

Last edited by Proudelitist; Mar 8, 2018 at 10:04 am
Old Mar 8, 2018, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, WN A, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Allan38103
NOT traveling with someone? Then pick a stranger in the boarding area who you'd like to sit with, and strike up a conversation. (Works better if that passenger is going to sit in a middle seat anyway.) When time for boarding, say, "I need to board now. Let's continue this conversation on board. I'll save you a seat." Or, "look for me when you get on" Or maybe sweetening the offer with a drink coupon or saving some extra overhead space. Whatever works.
Ha, back in my single days I've definitely pulled this move on cute girls while having an obvious ulterior motive. I suppose it could be used in a platonic, business-only fashion too.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:12 pm

I must be bad people, I'm getting more and more amused at this thread.

My SO puts his headphones in and closes his eyes while waiting for the rest of the passengers to board. He's got a bit of resting jerk face and I think even people who noticed we were together tend to not want to bother the beast =p
Old Mar 8, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by PAX62
Aisle seat with open middle is the most coveted seat for me. My strategy for this is to take the aisle 1-3 rows behind the exit rows then lean into the center to make the space look as cramped as possible.

By time you get to the end of the C group, you generally have two batches of folks. Those that will take the first available middle seat in the font third of the cabin to get off quicker...then those that will keep hunting for a better seat and continue to the back third as they lower their expectations leaving the middle third of the cabin where most of the empty middle seats wind up.

I never take the exit rows. I always wind up with the biggest dude in the C group plunking down right there in the middle seat.

Not a fool proof plan and FAs always look at me like I am crazy for passing up a wide open exit row but more times then not I wind up with an open middle on mostly full flights.
I do this too. 17D is my go to on the 700s. I have a better than 50% record of an empty middle, have not noticed the FA judgement though. I believe I learned this trick from nsx's postings here, "Secret First Class".
Old Mar 8, 2018, 1:51 pm

I always take the window LUV seat (available 95% of the time when boarding A-15-20). If flying alone I strike up a conversation with the FA monitoring the exit rows, and get her/him to stand next to me in the aisle seat. Goes empty quite frequently.

If travelling with the wife I do the same. If someone asks if the seat is available, I say "my wife is coming right behind you, but feel free to take it". They never take it.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Strategy depends on the load. I prefer an aisle seat.

If the flight is lightly loaded, find a row where someone is sitting in the window. Take the aisle seat, put the tray table down, and start working/eating/etc. Keep your head down and don't make eye contact.

If the flight is full, find a row with two people traveling together who are seated in the window/middle. Take the aisle seat. The person in the middle will be more comfortable encroaching toward their travel companion than toward you.
dmbolp likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by wetrat0
If the flight is full, find a row with two people traveling together who are seated in the window/middle. Take the aisle seat. The person in the middle will be more comfortable encroaching toward their travel companion than toward you.
Whoa, never thought of this one, great strategy
Old Mar 8, 2018, 7:29 pm

I always as the GA how full the flight is. When flying alone (most of the time) I look for the largest person in a window seat when I board (usually mid to high A 20s) then take the aisle seat in that row, preferably somewhere around row 7. I find those fill up last as many people seem to want to try to find a better seat or more bin space and go to the back of the plane. I'm pretty successful.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: none
Before you actually get on the plane, walk down to the line and carefully check out the last 20-25 people waiting there with high boarding numbers. Even if you have followed the tricks and good advice given above, one of them will be standing in the aisle next to your empty seat when boarding ends. That's your seatmate for the next two hours..
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:24 am

I have a strategy for always liking who I sit next to when I fly Southwest: I travel with my wife.
Marko123 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2018, 6:16 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
On a previous similar thread, I posted a link to a Chicago Tribune article about a guy with untreated open wounds, infected and crawling with maggots, dripping with pus and stinking to high heaven. Betcha no one sits next to him!
Old Mar 12, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
When I used to fly LAX-RNO weekly, there was another regular that always took the same aisle seat. He then promptly put his head on the tray and "went to sleep." He always "woke-up" when the door was closed. Unless the flight was completely full, he would get an open middle seat. My strategy was to always take the window on that aisle knowing he would be there.
Old Mar 13, 2018, 7:46 pm
glg

Originally Posted by t325
I'm a bigger guy (not 2 seats big, I can comfortably fit in one seat with armrests down, no extender needed), but when traveling solo, I do the puffer fish. I prefer aisle seats, so I take my seat, put armrests up, manspread a bit and look bigger than I really am. As long as it's not a completely full flight, it almost always results in an empty middle.
I totally do this.

Next level is on those completely full flights, when you see a smaller person coming by, quickly close up and look a little smaller and be hopeful. That's worked sometimes.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: Southwest RR, DL SkyMiles, AAdvantage
Sometimes the front row middle will be the last to go if the overheads are full near the front since the person who sits there will have to place their bag behind them.
Old Mar 14, 2018, 2:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dansachs
I have a strategy for always liking who I sit next to when I fly Southwest: I travel with my wife.
But does it work for her?
Babaduck and Bearbear like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.