Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Curbside checked luggage held by police department

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Curbside checked luggage held by police department

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Originally Posted by joshua362
Tru dat. But again, from experience, the bag scale at MCI is away from the check-in desk, not built in like an airplane counter. Highly doubtful the computer and line was held up while she did the repacking and reweighing dance twice. Perhaps the luggage Gentleman was being overly helpful by helping bring it to and fro the car but likely the OP ran away before the transaction was completed.

I'll even speculate the bags didn't have external tags or they would have taken steps to page her inside the airport or at the gate!
has anyone considered the OP ran off in hopes of collecting the $3300? Seems like OP either had no clue or was purposely going for the gamble given the quick reference in their original post to the maximum cash.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Perhaps. But, then again, it is fair market value to a maximum of $3,300.00. A shirt purchased for $100 and worn 3-4 times isn't worth close to $100.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:51 pm

Programs: US Air, UA BA LH AI DELTA MARRIOTT CHOICE SGP
The FIRST RULE of checking in bags is to personally see a luggage tag being attached. Then double check what connection transfer (if applicable) and final destination. WORKS everytime.
Lost likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:28 pm

Driveby by OP. Not worth spending any more time on this IMO.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by HMPS
The FIRST RULE of checking in bags is to personally see a luggage tag being attached. Then double check what connection transfer (if applicable) and final destination. WORKS everytime.
This saved me several years ago where the agent put an ABQ tag on my bag when I was going non stop to PHX and I caught it immediately. Now I verify it every time.

I thought the destination on the tag was printed based on the information in the PNR? I have no idea where ABQ came from
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Lost
This saved me several years ago where the agent put an ABQ tag on my bag when I was going non stop to PHX and I caught it immediately. Now I verify it every time.

I thought the destination on the tag was printed based on the information in the PNR? I have no idea where ABQ came from
Multiple terminals may print at one printer. I've seen agents looking at the tags themselves making sure they're for the customer they are currently working with.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:22 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HMPS
No, that is the seecond rule. The first is pack in accordance with the baggage allowance before you leave for the airport. OP is lucky that it was MCI and not most airports where there is no way that a car would have been allowed to remain at the curb while it is used as a packing station.

OP may well not return. Apparently she spent more time reading the provision about how to claim $3,300 than the one about the weight limit.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by NextTrip
Exactly. Curbside checkin idoesn't leave a transaction half done and hold up a line while a PAX goes off to fiddle with their bag...TWICE!
Curbside check in points at US airports do not allow you to drive up, exit the car, leaving it parked unattended, return to the car to fiddle with the bags, etc.

Legally it is a curbside drop off point. Maybe your spoue drops you and the bags off, before immediaetly proceeding to a parking lot. But, you can not legally keep the car parked there while you check in.

I find this thread amusing, and though I may have a weird sense of humor, I will be delighted if OP reports back that there is a police fine and shippiing and handling fee now involved to retrieve their bag.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by expert7700
Curbside check in points at US airports do not allow you to drive up, exit the car, leaving it parked unattended, return to the car to fiddle with the bags, etc.

Legally it is a curbside drop off point. Maybe your spoue drops you and the bags off, before immediaetly proceeding to a parking lot. But, you can not legally keep the car parked there while you check in.
I assume you have never been to the MCI.
ursine1 and steved5480 like this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by jeffandnicole
Multiple terminals may print at one printer. I've seen agents looking at the tags themselves making sure they're for the customer they are currently working with.
This was back when each agent worked only 1-2 kiosks built into the counter, not the current setup. Maybe 2008-2011ish? It was a while ago so I can't remember for sure.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by lougord99
I assume you have never been to the MCI.
I love MCI for that low hassle double ring, rarely a problem to loiter or wait there. Very often (solo), I would drive up, checkin my bags, tip and return the rental car.

Wonder if the OP tipped at some point in this misadventure?

Last edited by joshua362; Dec 19, 2017 at 4:44 pm
Old Dec 19, 2017, 4:47 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Often1
No, that is the seecond rule. The first is pack in accordance with the baggage allowance before you leave for the airport. OP is lucky that it was MCI and not most airports where there is no way that a car would have been allowed to remain at the curb while it is used as a packing station.
If this is your first rule, then your rule zero must be make sure appropriate travel insurance is in effect!
Lost likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:12 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by expert7700

I find this thread amusing, and though I may have a weird sense of humor, I will be delighted if OP reports back that there is a police fine and shippiing and handling fee now involved to retrieve their bag.
Which law is that?
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Often1
Which law is that?
State law - No parking/waiting zone. Drop off only.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by garykung
State law - No parking/waiting zone. Drop off only.
Federal directives prohibit parked or unattended vehicles in front of the terminals, even for a short time.

MCI, as noted, has less meddlesome enforcement.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.