Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Just me? Or is the website messed up for printing or emailing boarding passes?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass

After years with no problems printing boarding passes at home using a Google Chrome browser, I now have useless boarding passes spread over 3 pages of print.
If I shrink the print to fit a page, I get a miniature boarding pass - still useless.

Also, two attempts to email the boarding passes have failed - no email, other than marketing junk, has been received from Southwest.

If I print from a Microsoft Edge browser, however, the boarding pass prints properly.

Last edited by dlaue; Dec 6, 2017 at 10:07 am
Old Dec 6, 2017, 1:49 pm

They've been mucking with the print at home boarding pass option for a couple of weeks now. Many people reported errors checking in and/or printing a BP beginning when the general website issues started on Cyber Monday. Right now the official response is to try another browser and/or clear cache & cookies. If that still doesn't work you can call to be checked in and print the BP at the airport kiosk. One hopes they're actually working on fixing it.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by dlaue
After years with no problems printing boarding passes at home using a Google Chrome browser, I now have useless boarding passes spread over 3 pages of print.
If I shrink the print to fit a page, I get a miniature boarding pass - still useless.

Also, two attempts to email the boarding passes have failed - no email, other than marketing junk, has been received from Southwest.

If I print from a Microsoft Edge browser, however, the boarding pass prints properly.
I'd be curious to know if this problem, like many of the search and display errors, disappears when you use an incognito window in Chrome. Obviously, it should have no effect, but I'm pretty much constantly surprised at how often this fixes whatever problem I'm having with the website.
Old Dec 6, 2017, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synergistic
I'd be curious to know if this problem, like many of the search and display errors, disappears when you use an incognito window in Chrome. Obviously, it should have no effect, but I'm pretty much constantly surprised at how often this fixes whatever problem I'm having with the website.
I will try incognito Friday and let you know.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 5:59 am

Programs: Southwest Airlines, Marriot
Folks still print passes?
Old Dec 7, 2017, 8:54 am

Originally Posted by Joel Blitzer
Southwest doesn't allow mobile boarding passes on multi-passenger itineraries, so yes.

Also, flying solo, I've seen the mobile boarding pass system "down" and low-A pax sent to the desk to get a printed BP (losing their boarding position) more than once.

I use a mobile BP whenever I can, but for now often print a backup when that's not too inconvenient.
NextTrip and drooley like this.

Last edited by ursine1; Dec 7, 2017 at 6:54 pm
Old Dec 7, 2017, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Joel Blitzer
Yes I prefer them.
  1. Paper never runs out of power.
  2. It's faster to board.
  3. I can print an extra copy.
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Yes I prefer them.
  1. Paper never runs out of power.
  2. It's faster to board.
  3. I can print an extra copy.
4. Paper is a lot easier and less awkward when you have two carry on bags with you. Paper is especially handy when you are carrying your roller bag, computer bag and a gate-checked item, like a car seat.
toomanybooks likes this.

Last edited by dlaue; Dec 7, 2017 at 12:38 pm
Old Dec 7, 2017, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ursine1
Southwest doesn't allow mobile boarding passes on multi-passenger itineraries, so yes.

Also, flying solo, I've seen the mobile boarding pass system "down" and low-A pax sent to the desk to get a printed BP (losing their boarding position) more than once.

I use a BP whenever I can, but for now often print a backup when that's not too inconvenient.
I, too, have witnessed the mobile pass system fail and the upset when those without paper passes have to return to the desk for one. Also, have seen the
mobile boarding pass system get VERY slow to register, slowing the entire boarding process. To be fair, I have only seen this once. Total failure I have seen
three times.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 7:45 am

Online check-in worked from Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome, but did not work for boarding passes. Incognito mode in Chrome did not work for boarding passes, either, though online check-in worked.
synergistic likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2017, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by mke9499
Online check-in worked from Microsoft Edge and Google Chrome, but did not work for boarding passes. Incognito mode in Chrome did not work for boarding passes, either, though online check-in worked.
Did you get an error message or did it simply fail to print? I've had both happen.
Were you logged into your RR account? I've had success simply logging out of the account and then printing.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Dec 10, 2017 at 9:16 am
Old Dec 8, 2017, 6:37 pm

Almost eight hours after checking in online, two "mobile boarding passes" were received via email - one from my Chrome check-in and one from Microsoft Edge. They both say "DO NOT PRINT." I never was able to print the BP. So, now I have two BPs received via text, two via email, but none printed.

I did not log-in to my account to check-in, as that has caused problems for at least the last couple of months.

At least I can confirm everything and see PreCheck noted.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: HH Silver
Not just printing and emailing boarding passes, the website is messed up, period. It does not seem to want to do much of anything correctly these days. Issues are too numerous to even go into, but I hope they get things sorted out sometime in the next year.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Not just printing and emailing boarding passes, the website is messed up, period. It does not seem to want to do much of anything correctly these days. Issues are too numerous to even go into, but I hope they get things sorted out sometime in the next year.
Worked perfectly for me yesterday using Chrome on Windows 10.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:06 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by dlaue

Worked perfectly for me yesterday using Chrome on Windows 10.
I am talking about their website, not the browser using to access it. Just a couple issues I ran into today. My KTN number disappeared out of my profile. It will not allow me to put it back in, says not enough letters. Called in to customer service, they entered it, said all is good to go. Nope, still not there. They argues, said yes it is. Nope. Ok, you will have to stop at customer service at the airport tomorrow. Ok, waste my time waiting in line at the customer service desk instead of the regular security. Pick your poison.

This in addition to time outs, and all the other issues people are having, I would say they have website issues, or system issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.