Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WN going to Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by formeraa
Well, Gary Kelly said that the initial flights will be daytime flights to/from Hawaii. If that is the case, the connections will be limited to the Western states. In order to connect the rest of the country, Southwest will have to start flying red-eye flights. Also, Southwest does not sell double connections -- so they will have to run "through" flights to their midwest/eastern "hubs" to connect to the rest of the country.
Its doable but doesn't sound fun.

For example, a hypothetical BWI-OAK 7am ET departure wouId land around 10am PT. Connect to an 11:30am PT OAK-HNL and land around 2:30pm HT.

Eastbound depart HNL at 7am HT, land in OAK around 2pm PT. Leave OAK 3:30pm PT, arrive BWI 11:30pm ET.

Of course this assumes a lot, not the least of which is aircraft remaining overnight (coming from where at what arrival time??) to operate the morning eastbound departure.

I'm glad I live within 737 non stop range of Hawaii
Old Jan 13, 2018, 11:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, Gary Kelly said that the initial flights will be daytime flights to/from Hawaii. If that is the case, the connections will be limited to the Western states. [...] Southwest does not sell double connections
1. The Hawaii service seems timed to the new reservation system. So it's not clear whether restrictions from the past will apply.

2. Westward the connection need not be so limited, because it doesn't take that much "local clocks" time to fly westward. Eg, you can lave someplace like Nashville around 6 am and be in LA at 9 am, despite it being a 5-hour flight. It's the connections eastward that will be more of a problem if Southwest doesn't allow overnight connections (and even then, you'd have to add an overnight stay of your own), and if Southwest "parks" the planes outside of Hawaii.

3. Where they "park" planes overnight makes a very difference. If they "parked" the planes in Hawaii, they could time early morning flights to the west coast early enough to connect to at least the middle of the country. But if they "park" the panes on the west coast, they'll won't be able to have early morning flights from Hawaii, which will limit how much time there is for connecting flights eastward before the end of the day.
Old Jan 27, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Hi all,

Southwest may fly to Hawaii begins on December 2018 or early 2019. They awaiting for FAA approval to start flying long haul flight.

Southwest could launch Hawaii flights by Christmas - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Hopefully they will release for next new schedule extension.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:39 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by N830MH
Hi all,

Southwest may fly to Hawaii begins on December 2018 or early 2019. They awaiting for FAA approval to start flying long haul flight.

Southwest could launch Hawaii flights by Christmas - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL

Hopefully they will release for next new schedule extension.
Next new schedule extension only goes out into Oct, so possibly the one after that. I still am betting no flights until 2019.
Old Feb 1, 2018, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tatterdema
Next new schedule extension only goes out into Oct, so possibly the one after that. I still am betting no flights until 2019.
Yup, sure they did. They has pushed back to 2019.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...hts-up-in.html

Sorry, man. Hopefully they will start flying to Hawaii in 2019.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 1:59 am

Well, Gary Kelly said that the initial flights will be daytime flights to/from Hawaii. If that is the case, the connections will be limited to the Western states. In order to connect the rest of the country, Southwest will have to start flying red-eye flights. Also, Southwest does not sell double connections -- so they will have to run "through" flights to their midwest/eastern "hubs" to connect to the rest of the country.
I looked into this back in October. It's posted on page 9. Even without red-eye flights, Southwest can get customers from Hawaii back to some parts of the East Coast on a single connection through Las Vegas. [Note: These options were valid when they were posted. I'm not checking to see if these are still valid as of today.]

HNL-LAS: 7am departure, 2:35pm arrival (flight time based on Hawaiian's current nonstop)

Possible Connections to Existing Nonstop Flights:
LAS-BWI: 3:30pm departure, 11:00pm arrival
LAS-TPA: 4:10pm departure, 11:20pm arrival
LAS-PHL: 4:40pm departure, 12:10am arrival
LAS-FLL: 4:45pm departure, 12:20am arrival
LAS-MCO: 5:10pm departure, 12:35am arrival
LAS-PIT: 5:45pm departure, 12:45am arrival
LAS-RDU: 5:45pm departure, 1:00am arrival
Old Feb 2, 2018, 12:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I don't doubt your timings, but 7AM departures with the family to the mainland will be brutal. That's rolling from the hotel at 4:30AM to head to the airport, drop car, get to check-in, eat breakfast, go thru security, buy lunch for on-board, and boarding. Sensibly, other than a UA 7:05AM to LAX, most mainland flights are a bit later in the day.
steved5480 likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I don't doubt your timings, but 7AM departures with the family to the mainland will be brutal. That's rolling from the hotel at 4:30AM to head to the airport, drop car, get to check-in, eat breakfast, go thru security, buy lunch for on-board, and boarding. Sensibly, other than a UA 7:05AM to LAX, most mainland flights are a bit later in the day.
Sure you can! You can buy your own lunch from concessions. You can bring your own foods from convenience store.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 9:37 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Sure you can! You can buy your own lunch from concessions. You can bring your own foods from convenience store.
I have USDA confiscate my lunch... hope they enjoyed it.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yup, sure they did. They has pushed back to 2019.

https://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/n...hts-up-in.html

Sorry, man. Hopefully they will start flying to Hawaii in 2019.
Did you read the article you posted? They say they're still hoping for flying to Hawaii in early 2019, and still hoping for selling tickets to Hawaii in 2018. They'd have to miss that by almost another full year for them to not have flights anytime in 2019. So just because it's not 2018, doesn't mean the risk is high for 2019 too. They just moved the goalpost by a couple months, but a couple months after late 2018 is early 2019, so into a different calendar year!
Old Feb 4, 2018, 9:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tanic
USDA confiscated your lunch bouth in LAS or LAXX on an eastbound flight within the lower 48???

Where was the USDA check at LAS or LAX on eastbound flights? I've never seen one.

You replied to an subthread on reasonableness of connecting at LAS or LAX to same-day east-bound connections (after arriving on an early morning flight from Hawaii). So all the food purchases for on-board eating were being discussed were at LAS or LAX. (The breakfast was discussed as being eaten at the airport in Hawaii.)

I presume you were referring to food brought onto a flight leg to or from Hawaii? Please be specific as o where it happened and with what! food Thanks.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 4, 2018 at 9:40 pm
Old Feb 4, 2018, 10:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tanic
If you go through Agriculture Inspection at Hawaii airports before you heading for US Mainland flight. You cannot bring fruits, animals and a few other things, as well.

Here's a link:

https://www.govisithawaii.com/2009/0...aiis-airports/
Old Feb 4, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by sdsearch
USDA confiscated your lunch bouth in LAS or LAXX on an eastbound flight within the lower 48???

Where was the USDA check at LAS or LAX on eastbound flights? I've never seen one.

You replied to an subthread on reasonableness of connecting at LAS or LAX to same-day east-bound connections (after arriving on an early morning flight from Hawaii). So all the food purchases for on-board eating were being discussed were at LAS or LAX. (The breakfast was discussed as being eaten at the airport in Hawaii.)

I presume you were referring to food brought onto a flight leg to or from Hawaii? Please be specific as o where it happened and with what! food Thanks.
The food was sandwiches purchased at Safeway and sealed in the store. USDA at ITO decided to dissect the food with their hands making it inedible whether they confiscated it or not.

If you go through Agriculture Inspection at Hawaii airports before you heading for US Mainland flight. You cannot bring fruits, animals and a few other things, as well.

Here's a link:

https://www.govisithawaii.com/2009/0...aiis-airports/
Correct you are Scotty.
N830MH likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 10:29 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
http://bit.ly/2FkoIFq

@reviewjournal: “We have such great service between California and Las Vegas, so I think we’ll have very nice itineraries to and from Hawaii and here as well,” @SouthwestAir Chairman and CEO Gary Kelly said

​​​​​​
Old Feb 21, 2018, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by steved5480
http://bit.ly/2FkoIFq

@reviewjournal: “We have such great service between California and Las Vegas, so I think we’ll have very nice itineraries to and from Hawaii and here as well,” @SouthwestAir Chairman and CEO Gary Kelly said
​​​​​​
In other words, he's saying that people won't mind connecting to Hawaii in California, as way of placating those lamenting that he's not planning (initial) service to Hawaii nonstop from Las Vegas.

This was an article about Southwest's Las Vegas service, so it has to be viewed in that context. What you quoted doesn't make much sense IMHO out of context of the article.

Last edited by sdsearch; Feb 21, 2018 at 2:39 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.