Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Misleading email: You've come so far!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2017, 4:19 pm

Man I wish I had the time to get worked up about such inconsequential things like this.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by camaross
Man I wish I had the time to get worked up about such inconsequential things like this.
You seem to have the time to comment on threads about topics you find inconsequential.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by Often1
It's not deceptive, but WN gets away with this stuff because people really believe that the first two bags are "free" and that there are no "change fees".

Just proves that there is one born every minute.

Few people check bags these days. They have learned to pack. Even fewer check two bags.

Sure, WN doesn't have change fees, but you pay the new price and that can be a lot. In addition if you change a refundable ticket of any kind, it becomes unrefundable.

You have to give WN marketing folks credit, they do make it appear to be a good deal when it is the same deal as any other. Sometimes cheaper, sometimes more and often roughly the same.
Often when I compare WN with a legacy on the same route, the prices are often exactly the same. How is that bag not free to me (obviously there is a cost to WN, but why would I care?)? I also disagree the few people check bags these days. AA alone collected over $1 billion in bag fees last year. Hard to do if no one checks bags. On the change fees, don't you pay the change fee plus difference in fare on most other airlines?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:57 am

Programs: AA L.T. PLT
It's not deceptive, but WN gets away with this stuff because people really believe that the first two bags are "free" and that there are no "change fees".

Few people check bags these days. They have learned to pack. Even fewer check two bags.

Sure, WN doesn't have change fees, but you pay the new price and that can be a lot. In addition if you change a refundable ticket of any kind, it becomes unrefundable.

You have to give WN marketing folks credit, they do make it appear to be a good deal when it is the same deal as any other. Sometimes cheaper, sometimes more and often roughly the same.
Few people check bags these days? Then I wonder where the BILLIONS of dollars in checked bag fees the airlines are getting are coming from?

You mean the first two bags aren't free? Hmmm.. last time I checked bags they must have like me or something because they didn't charge me for them.

And if I want to make a change to a ticket where the price has gone up I pay the difference. And nothing else. (unlike the other airlines) And if the fare goes down I get a refund and don't have to pay a change fee (unlike the other airlines)

And the CP... that's a pretty crappy deal as well I suppose?
Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by camaross
I'm still outraged by my "You've been handpicked..." email I got from Hilton.

HH members, you iknow what I'm talking about. The one where THE ENTIRE WORLD got handpicked for a 20% discount in Detroit.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.

Are you seriously still trying to peddle this nonsense? WN absolutely does have no change fees and free cancellations unlike any other airline that I can fly to my regular destinations. These are benefits that I regularly use. I also regularly check 2 bags ( I miss the days of 3 free checked bags ).
Old Jul 28, 2017, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
You seem to have the time to comment on threads about topics you find inconsequential.
Predictable reply is predictable.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I think I will spend the remaining portion of the weekend reading the thousands of spam emails I get each month from dozens of companies I do business with and verify them for accuracy/hype.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 7:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exwannabe
I think I will spend the remaining portion of the weekend reading the thousands of spam emails I get each month from dozens of companies I do business with and verify them for accuracy/hype.
Then you could go into the Flyertalk forums of all the airlines/hotel chains you never patronize and tell the people there how stupid they are for using that provider.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Then you could go into the Flyertalk forums of all the airlines/hotel chains you never patronize and tell the people there how stupid they are for using that provider.
As though some patronage metric entitles a post.

They're about monetizing a new rez system. Pitch was just a bit outside. Trial and error.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 12:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond

The "no change fees" is an absolutely legitimate differentiator between WN and pretty much all of their competitors. It's a feature I use on a nontrivial percentage of my WN trips.

Yes, they've certainly gotten a lot of mileage out of "bags fly free". On one hand, it's easy to say I'm simply paying for the bags anyway, in that a lot of the formerly-cheap WN destinations are now quite expensive. However, I suspect those destinations would *still* be expensive if WN charged for bags, as the airline cartel in general has tightened capacity and generally worked together to make U.S. airfares (in many cases) higher. WN was once the outsider/agitator on fares, and they are no longer.

In other words, the old $49-59 fares I bought 10 years ago are gone because of other market dynamics, not because of Bags Fly Free.

Besides, even though I don't check bags, I benefit from Bags Fly Free in that Southwest's overhead bins are more available for my bag. Rarely do I see a WN plane held up on departure so they can check a bunch of last-minute bags that wouldn't fit in overheads.

Finally, when I fly WN it usually isn't all that much of a price decision: it's that they have a nonstop where I want to go. I book them to avoid connections, and often pay a little extra for it.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
Originally Posted by nsx
I am getting pretty annoyed by Southwest's recent initiative to spam its customers. As soon as I set up a filter for one type of spam they create another. The latest is the nag to book a trip where I was just re-checking the fare on a trip I had already booked.

I guess I need to logout before searching fares so they won't have the necessary identifying information to spam me. @:-)
I don't believe logout is sufficient if the cookie is still there from when you had the authenticated session.

Southwest is just copying from what the majors do, but it might be more annoying because there is no third party to check fares (ITA/Kayak). Although Kayak is happy to remind you to book too.

Rasheed

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.