Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sitting my family together

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2017, 9:32 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by COS_Flyer
Boy, sounds like I touched a nerve. Easy there.

I would not think the word "bribe" would apply to a voluntary transaction between two passengers. And to be fair, I did not suggest going from the rear of the plane back to the front of the plane to begin the process over, just increasing the amount offered from where ever you got your last "no thanks." If the FAs "call time", of course you just take the nearest seat. But I think I've recalled later boarding passengers and FAs asking for people to move seats to accommodate a family. I was just suggesting that offering some $ might get more volunteers. The pax are flying WN, after all, not Emirates Air.
No, you didn't touch a nerve. I'm just surprised that you can't see the obvious problem with what you suggested.

Aren't all bribes voluntary transactions? If a police officer takes money from a drug dealer to look the other way, should we just dimiss it because it was voluntary?

You're bribing someone to move... and in the process making boarding less efficient as passengers try to get on the plane. Just get on the plane, find an open seat, and sit down. If you wanted to sit in a specific seat or seats you should have flown with a carrier who allows it.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Allan38103
to OP,

Really, don't sweat it. Get on the plane and keep walking toward the back until you find the number of seats you want. Then sit down.
Agree. I've taken dozens of Southwest flights with my six kids and have not had a single flight where we didn't get to sit together. And I've never bought EBCI. You'll be fine.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:07 am

I'm not sure the OP has any but offering a drink coupon or to buy a drink might be a better way to go. FAs often do that whne they need a seat.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Thems the rules. Fly another airline.
I did.

Delta -> AirTran -> Southwest -> Delta

I was extremely happy with AirTran being based in ATL. Their upgrade system was the best for tech savvy people(IE check-in right at T24). I was upgraded 95% of the time on flights all over the country. Their employees were friendly. I went to them because Delta was raising fares and it was getting out of control so I tried AirTran. Got Status in a couple weeks(Could qualify in segments/spend very quickly) and loved it.

I had flown WN before randomly but decided to give the inherited status a try and lasted 18 months and was done. Traveling with my wife was a pain as listed above. Having A1, 2 or 3 and getting on and no window/aisle in an exit row completely defeats the purpose. And their fares are as much as DL out of ATL if not more sometimes so I reluctantly went back.

With that said now I am extremely happy. Benefits outweigh any negatives I have. For instance my wife and I flying ATL-LAX for 300ea. Instant clear to Comfort+ as she is treated at the same level as my status. And with the time I spend traveling having access to SkyClub has become super important.

I respect what WN does it just turned out to not work for them. I also respect their loyal travelers it just doesn't make sense to me.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
Aren't all bribes voluntary transactions? If a police officer takes money from a drug dealer to look the other way, should we just dimiss it because it was voluntary?
As far as I know it's illegal for a cop to take a bribe, but it is not illegal for someone to offer another person money to do something entirely legal, like voluntarily move to another seat.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dinanm3atl
I did.

Delta -> AirTran -> Southwest -> Delta

I was extremely happy with AirTran being based in ATL. Their upgrade system was the best for tech savvy people(IE check-in right at T24). I was upgraded 95% of the time on flights all over the country. Their employees were friendly. I went to them because Delta was raising fares and it was getting out of control so I tried AirTran. Got Status in a couple weeks(Could qualify in segments/spend very quickly) and loved it.

I had flown WN before randomly but decided to give the inherited status a try and lasted 18 months and was done. Traveling with my wife was a pain as listed above. Having A1, 2 or 3 and getting on and no window/aisle in an exit row completely defeats the purpose. And their fares are as much as DL out of ATL if not more sometimes so I reluctantly went back.

With that said now I am extremely happy. Benefits outweigh any negatives I have. For instance my wife and I flying ATL-LAX for 300ea. Instant clear to Comfort+ as she is treated at the same level as my status. And with the time I spend traveling having access to SkyClub has become super important.

I respect what WN does it just turned out to not work for them. I also respect their loyal travelers it just doesn't make sense to me.
I am the first to say that Southwest is not for everyone.

But it is best for a lot of people.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
As far as I know it's illegal for a cop to take a bribe, but it is not illegal for someone to offer another person money to do something entirely legal, like voluntarily move to another seat.
Yeah, I went off on a tangent that I should not have. I should have stopped with the question about all bribes being voluntary.

I did not mean to suggest (even though I did) that there is something illicit about offering someone money to move to another seat. Only that it is still a bribe.

And none of this should detract from the larger, more important point, that wasting time going down (and back up) the cabin during boarding offering people varying amounts of money for their seat does just that... wastes time.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:23 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Its illegal to even offer it. No, you can offer anyone (other than a govt official) anything for an exchange or monetary compensation.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
And none of this should detract from the larger, more important point, that wasting time going down (and back up) the cabin during boarding offering people varying amounts of money for their seat does just that... wastes time.
Auctioning off seats like people sell tickets on Stubhub would waste no time.

Southwest may require a cut.

You can also bring two types of Ghirardelli chocolates, one for the gate agents and one for the knaves in your preferred seat(s).

Last edited by LegalTender; Jul 29, 2017 at 3:31 pm
Old Jul 29, 2017, 3:37 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I am the first to say that Southwest is not for everyone.

But it is best for a lot of people.
Especially for those that need a miracle healing inflight.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:58 pm
formerly atomicfront

Originally Posted by luminajd
Next week will be my first time flying with SW, with my husband and 3 kids. Can someone reassure me that if I check in 24 hours prior to departure and board at family time, we will get seated next to each other? Its clearly not the end of the world if we cant, but it would be ideal.
Thanks
Get early bird boarding.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by atomicfront
Get early bird boarding.
there is no such thing.
Old Jul 29, 2017, 10:25 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by justhere
there is no such thing.
Is there really a need to be so pedantic? I think most of us, and now most importantly the OP, know he was referring to EBCI.

https://www.southwest.com/flight/ear...servation.html
Old Jul 29, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Is there really a need to be so pedantic? I think most of us, and now most importantly the OP, know he was referring to EBCI.

I don't know what the poster knows and doesn't know. I also don't know what other posters know and don't know. Given that there is a huge difference between checking in and boarding I think it's important to differentiate the two. Especially as posters do occasionally misunderstand and think that EBCI had to do more with boarding than it does with checking in.

So good for you if you know what people know and don't know. I am not in such a fortunate position and wanted to make sure that people understood the difference.

It's not being pedantic when there is a substantial difference.
Old Jul 30, 2017, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by NoLaGent

The OP is clearly inexperienced in dealing with SWA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.