Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest testing faster deplaning process at San Jose, Sacramento airports

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2017, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Anyone seen this yet? My home airport is SMF and I can't see how they would do it without using stairs to the tarmac for the back exit, then back up to the terminal.

http://www.sfgate.com/travel/article...n-11183003.php
Old May 30, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
They did this for a brief period of time at SMF, but all I remember is the option to board the aircraft through the rear door.

Yes, you had to walk across the tarmac from the rear stairs, just as you have always had to do at Burbank airport.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA & US before it have done this for years with Shuttle flights, especially at LGA. Air stairs are used for the rear exit and there is an announcement made, reminding passengers that the option is available.

It can knock the deplaning time way down, but it does take a bit of cooperation because passengers in the last 10 rows who for one reason or another don't want to or cannot use the air stairs need to wait for the <2 minutes it takes for those headed to the rear to head back. Because driving air stairs takes a level of competence which some GA's who can't seem to connect a jetway to the cabin door, the rear-exiting pax are often done before the front cabin door is even open.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:44 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
I can see how this would make boarding quicker too. Bc savy passengers won't fear going to the back of the plane, making boarding quicker.
Old May 30, 2017, 5:47 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
I've seen it done at Burbank and Long Beach where there are no jetways and everyone has to walk on the tarmac between the plane and terminal. In those cases, there's usually a ramp rolled up to the front door and a set of air stairs rolled to the back door (both for boarding and deplaning).

Though they don't always do it if the flights aren't completely full - as I learned the hard way sitting in row 20 on a half full flight to LGB thinking I'd be the first down the rear stairs only to hear on landing that we were only deplaning out the front!
Old May 30, 2017, 8:57 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I've had a couple of flights into SJC with the rear door available for deplaning. Turns out the real problem is that unlike BUR where you go down one set of (air)stairs to the ground-floor doorway into the terminal, at SJC you descend the airstairs, then you have to take another set of (low clearance, I almost bumped my (6'3") head) winding stairs three flights up into the front-door jetway and the low-mobility folks get caught unaware of what they had to do, and slow everyone behind them to a crawl.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by forecheck
Anyone seen this yet? My home airport is SMF and I can't see how they would do it without using stairs to the tarmac for the back exit, then back up to the terminal.

http://www.sfgate.com/travel/article...n-11183003.php
Yes, I do. I remember when I flew to SJC during same day trips. I have to go back gallery of the aircraft. I got off the plane. I knows they don't have jet bridge at entire terminal C.
Old Jun 1, 2017, 10:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It sounds like this gets everyone off the plane sooner, so it sounds like it's good for Southwest, but it doesn't save time for the passengers who must walk down the stairs, across the tarmac, and back up the stairs into the terminal, all while carrying luggage, kids, car seats, etc. It's basically a quicker turnaround for the aircraft at the expense (in convenience and time) of some customers.

This will also change some people's decisions about whether to go for aisle seats in the very back of the plane.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I've had a couple of flights into SJC with the rear door available for deplaning. Turns out the real problem is that unlike BUR where you go down one set of (air)stairs to the ground-floor doorway into the terminal, at SJC you descend the airstairs, then you have to take another set of (low clearance, I almost bumped my (6'3") head) winding stairs three flights up into the front-door jetway and the low-mobility folks get caught unaware of what they had to do, and slow everyone behind them to a crawl.
I imagined using two jetbridges like they do for international flights and they even use three for the Airbus 380. At SJC thete is a secrete door that leads directly to the baggage claim. For those connecting there should be an elevator and for those claiming baggage open the door that leads directly to the Tetminal B Baggage claim

A compete failure on WN's part using stairs in the rain going down and then climb three levels back up that takes more time.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by danielonn
I imagined using two jetbridges like they do for international flights and they even use three for the Airbus 380. At SJC thete is a secrete door that leads directly to the baggage claim. For those connecting there should be an elevator and for those claiming baggage open the door that leads directly to the Tetminal B Baggage claim

A compete failure on WN's part using stairs in the rain going down and then climb three levels back up that takes more time.
It may exist, but I've never seen an airbridge for the rear door.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
It may exist, but I've never seen an airbridge for the rear door.
UA used five overwing jetways at DEN to the rear door. They were going to expand their use until one smashed the wing of a B757. Oops.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I remember years ago, (this was early 2000's) at SAN. If your WN flight pulled into Gates 1-2-3 area in terminal one, airstairs front and back doors were used. It was really fun if you didn't have problem navigating the stairs.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:12 pm

Programs: AS, AA, WN
AS does this (or used to) on many of their flights. I found it was faster for deplaning but boarding time didn't seem much improved. I always suspected many travelers were just uncertain or uncomfortable with the idea of boarding from the back, so I'd find that even ones in the "rear boarding" lanes would often just move to the jet bridge side of the line once they passed the GA.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by flg8rmatt
AS does this (or used to) on many of their flights. I found it was faster for deplaning but boarding time didn't seem much improved. I always suspected many travelers were just uncertain or uncomfortable with the idea of boarding from the back, so I'd find that even ones in the "rear boarding" lanes would often just move to the jet bridge side of the line once they passed the GA.
Those are people that ride the city bus, where you cannot board from the back, only the front (where you pay) but you can disembark from the front or rear.

(I like city buses so this isn't a slam on that)
Old Jun 15, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by flg8rmatt
I always suspected many travelers were just uncertain or uncomfortable with the idea of boarding from the back ...
Rear-boarding/deplaning is pretty popular at BUR, though. What's nice about there is you descend to ground level, where the gate door is (both ends of the plane use stairs).

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
Those are people that ride the city bus, where you cannot board from the back, only the front (where you pay) ...
FWIW, in the Bay Area (and IIRC the Sacramento area) most riders use Clipper cards to pay, and you can board from any door.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.