Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Flying on / after nex gen system cutover day (May 9)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying on / after nex gen system cutover day (May 9)

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2017, 10:23 am

Does anyone know (or have a good guess) as to when exactly the cut over will take place?

My wife has a flight tomorrow evening and we plan to check her in this evening as close to T-24 as we can manage.

I suspect the actual cut over will happen after today's flights have departed in the dead period before tomorrows flights begin. I'm not exactly sure when that is.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Originally Posted by t325
You have a lot more faith in WN IT than I do.

The new system works, but right now, it handles what, maybe 5% of their total flights? Now they're asking it to do 100% overnight. I sure as hell hope it can scale up and they don't have any capacity issues. Hopefully they did plenty of stress testing and threw some beefier servers at it.

If the decision were up to me, I'd slowly ramp up - start with flights originating from a few smaller airports, then bring a hub or two online if that goes well, and go from there. I guess that wasn't technically feasible.

There have been a lot of airline mergers over the past decade, so Southwest has plenty of case studies of what not to do (e.g. HP/US and CO/UA). That said, I don't think any of them phased out phased in IT systems slowly. They all made one cutover all at once.

These systems are massive and touch every part of the airline's day-to-day operations. Even though crew scheduling and dispatch systems are not being replaced, the new One Res system touches them all. It's core to Southwest's business, and I'm guessing this is the only option on the table.
Old May 8, 2017, 4:24 pm

Den-mdw 5/10

So I've got a good one. I'm flying 5/10 DEN-MDW at 7:55 p.m., right when some bad thunderstorms should be rolling through Denver. I already used some RR points to preemptively book 5/11 at 12:40 p.m. as a backup in the event of cancellation. Two questions.

1. Is that duplicate reservation likely to get caught in the dragnet where they cancel duplicate reservations? I reviewed that thread and can't find conclusive evidence relevant to my situation.

2. When I go to cancel whichever reservation I don't need, are there going to be issues redepositing points to my account? I suppose time will tell, but I think I have a good plan here, right?
Old May 8, 2017, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by palmetto86
There have been a lot of airline mergers over the past decade, so Southwest has plenty of case studies of what not to do (e.g. HP/US and CO/UA). That said, I don't think any of them phased out phased in IT systems slowly. They all made one cutover all at once.

These systems are massive and touch every part of the airline's day-to-day operations. Even though crew scheduling and dispatch systems are not being replaced, the new One Res system touches them all. It's core to Southwest's business, and I'm guessing this is the only option on the table.
The Southwest / Airtran merger the cut over was when Airtran stopped flying.
Old May 8, 2017, 8:39 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
I'm optimistic that things will go smoothly tomorrow but my next WN flight isn't until October so I'll be watching safely from the comfort of home.
Old May 8, 2017, 10:39 pm

Looks like we're about 5 hours away from either a total non-event (and the greatest success in a decade for WN IT) ... or ... an interesting case study for future IT departments.

Just for fun I'm watching this one, I'm sure there are dozens that leave even sooner.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/...930Z/KPIT/KTPA

Last edited by spongenotbob; May 8, 2017 at 11:35 pm Reason: Cleaning up URL
Old May 8, 2017, 10:51 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Old May 8, 2017, 11:28 pm

Keep in mind that, whatever happens tomorrow, this is likely going to be more of a marathon than a sprint. As different types of situations come up, and employees are learning how to deal with those situations in the new system, I expected there to be lingering issues throughout the next several months.
Old May 9, 2017, 2:58 am

My flight this morning is already delayed 30 minutes even though it's the plane's first segment of the day.

On the bright side, I have already received 3 emails from WN advising me of the delay.
Old May 9, 2017, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Happy Cutover Day!
Old May 9, 2017, 5:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Checked bags at 6:10am MDW. Everything as smooth as normal. No delays showing on the boards for flights through about 9:30
Old May 9, 2017, 5:42 am

All is going well at AUS so far this morning. Hopefully things will be as smooth at ELP this afternoon coming home.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:04 am

Programs: RR & Emerald Club
May 9 glitches

Starting it off.

Wrong gate posted at DAL this morning. Had to hoof it to other side of terminal. Gate also not on my WN app.
Old May 9, 2017, 6:29 am

I think the biggest concerns today will be dal/Las/phx and outstations without international service if those 3 have issues, though, it could be a long day throughout the system
Old May 9, 2017, 6:58 am

My flight LAX-->ATL-->JAX is already showing 10 minute delay at 0555 for 0920 departure time (now 0930). Origin of aircraft is LAX, first flight of day for it.

At at least it's a through flight no aircraft change at ATL - otherwise I would be wigged more than I already am right now....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.