FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Change to Companion Pass qualifying (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1812136-change-companion-pass-qualifying.html)

lexdevil Jan 3, 2017 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 27700055)
Can you elaborate? Are you buying WN points or a ticket using WN points?

Do you mean 1.5 cent cash per point? And earns 3 UR points per $?

Plus 6 WN points on the purchase? This seems like a good deal...

The Chase Sapphire Reserve card is pretty sweet for travel. All travel spend, including airfare, earns 3 UR points per dollar spent. That's better than the 2x points my Southwest tickets would earn on the Southwest Chase card.

Then, if you choose to use your UR points to book travel through Chase, those points are worth 1.5¢ a piece. That means that for the purposes of travel, spend on the CSR returns 4.5¢ per dollar spent, a pretty solid return.

Colin Jan 3, 2017 6:50 pm

Better still, transfer the 3 UR reward points / per dollar of credit card spend to Southwest Rapid Rewards. Redeem at the rate of $0.018 (or better) per Rapid Rewards point on Wanna Get Away fares for travel on Southwest. That's $0.054 in Southwest travel per $1.00 in credit card spend. Points never expire, unlike cash fares.

lexdevil Jan 3, 2017 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 27700532)
Better still, transfer the 3 UR reward points / per dollar of credit card spend to Southwest Rapid Rewards. Redeem at the rate of $0.018 (or better) per Rapid Rewards point on Wanna Get Away fares for travel on Southwest. That's $0.054 in Southwest travel per $1.00 in credit card spend. Points never expire, unlike cash fares.

I thought that the current value of RR points on WGA fares was 1.42¢, down from the previous 1.7¢.

The other benefit of going the Chase route is you can use it for any airline, and the seat does not come from award inventory, so it earns miles.

Colin Jan 3, 2017 7:53 pm

spend 2 seconds on Southwest.com and verify for yourself

LAX-SMF next month
a $59 paid fare vs. 2,997 Rapid Reward Points + $5
(59-5)/2,997

Critterlynn Jan 3, 2017 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Colin (Post 27700777)
spend 2 seconds on Southwest.com and verify for yourself

LAX-SMF next month
a $59 paid fare vs. 2,997 Rapid Reward Points + $5
(59-5)/2,997

I don't disagree but a lot of people do. I'll save you the trouble of arguing. Read this:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...nts-worth.html

Deltahater Jan 4, 2017 12:29 pm

I just got an email from WN congratulating me on my companion pass.

However, when I click the link I get this message:

You sure are generous. Looks like you are ready to fly with a friend but haven't yet qualified for Companion Status. Keep flying or earning and you'll be set to fly with a friend in no time.

Is anybody else getting these false teaser emails?

ZBigFam Jan 4, 2017 12:37 pm

I got the email too. I got the email right after I transferred UR points to my account and then booked a couple of flights. Maybe they will live up to their email and grant us status??? NOT..

chuckworth Jan 4, 2017 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Deltahater (Post 27704246)
I just got an email from WN congratulating me on my companion pass.

However, when I click the link I get this message:

You sure are generous. Looks like you are ready to fly with a friend but haven't yet qualified for Companion Status. Keep flying or earning and you'll be set to fly with a friend in no time.

Is anybody else getting these false teaser emails?

Pop over to this thread

Big4Flyer Jan 4, 2017 9:12 pm

Per Southwest, an extension of hotel transfers counting towards the CP has been extended through 3/31/17, however no further extensions will be permitted after that date. I'm glad that Southwest stepped up and corrected this.

HT to ThePointsGuy

Critterlynn Jan 4, 2017 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Big4Flyer (Post 27706768)
Per Southwest, an extension of hotel transfers counting towards the CP has been extended through 3/31/17, however no further extensions will be permitted after that date. I'm glad that Southwest stepped up and corrected this.

HT to ThePointsGuy

Although I'm sure a lot of people are relieved, there are going to a lot of people who are pissed off after making alternate plans. Many people have decided to go the credit card route. Now they're going to realize they just got two credit cards they don't need. At least they will have extra points to use.

lonelycrowd Jan 4, 2017 9:44 pm

HT to ThePointsGuy

Has this been independently verified by any source other than TPG? Don't see any mention of this WN's website or social media accounts.

I can't think of any reason why this would be a hoax - WN surely paid a reputational price for the policy change on this forum - but I'd like someone other than TPG to verify before proceeding with a Marriott travel package.

flyer4512 Jan 4, 2017 9:49 pm

HT to ThePointsGuy

One guy said he transferred points ( figuring it was a good redemption anyway) and didn't get CP...............I hope he gets that corrected

mymousecapades Jan 4, 2017 10:41 pm

Originally Posted by lonelycrowd (Post 27706912)
Has this been independently verified by any source other than TPG? Don't see any mention of this WN's website or social media accounts.

I can't think of any reason why this would be a hoax - WN surely paid a reputational price for the policy change on this forum - but I'd like someone other than TPG to verify before proceeding with a Marriott travel package.

I don't think they announced the change on their social media to begin with, so I doubt they'll mention it now. Would be nice to see verification via an update to their policy page, though, along the lines of "Effective 3/31..."

Anyway, I, for one, am very relieved. But they set me back 4 days bc I was really hoping to get the CP before my trip to Cuba next Friday. I wonder if there's any chance of that anymore? Ah well, if not, no big deal.

SkiAdcock Jan 5, 2017 7:26 am

I edited the wiki to reflect that effective April 1 instead of January 1.

Cheers.

rove312 Jan 5, 2017 7:33 am

Originally Posted by lonelycrowd (Post 27706912)

There's a link in the email news flashes thread, but for the record in this thread, it's at https://www.southwestaircommunity.co...ear/ba-p/50377