Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Can Companion still fly if main traveler is No-Show?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can Companion still fly if main traveler is No-Show?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2019, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Question Can Companion still fly if main traveler is No-Show?

Hi all,

I have reservations AUS-OAK-AUS for myself and my designated companion. After this was all booked I found a need for business travel to Toronto. I want to save time and fly SFO-Toronto without having to return to AUS first, while my companion must return to AUS. I'm ok with forfeiting my own last leg on SWA, but I want to be absolutely certain that my companion can still fly without me and not get stuck in OAK.

Has anyone encountered this? Or is there any SWA policy regarding this published anywhere?

A possible complication is that my companion is a minor, HOWEVER my wife is traveling too, on the same PNR as I am, so I don't expect this to be an issue at all... right?

Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Without a doubt, the companion can BOARD without the other person. That must happen often depending on when each person checks in and/or buys early boarding.

The real question is what happens when they realize there is a missing person...

Waiting for an answer.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:29 pm

Don’t do it. Not worth embarrassing and inconveniencing your wife and the minor when things go sideways.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by maximizer
Hi all,

I have reservations AUS-OAK-AUS for myself and my designated companion. After this was all booked I found a need for business travel to Toronto. I want to save time and fly SFO-Toronto without having to return to AUS first, while my companion must return to AUS. I'm ok with forfeiting my own last leg on SWA, but I want to be absolutely certain that my companion can still fly without me and not get stuck in OAK.

Has anyone encountered this? Or is there any SWA policy regarding this published anywhere?

A possible complication is that my companion is a minor, HOWEVER my wife is traveling too, on the same PNR as I am, so I don't expect this to be an issue at all... right?

Thanks in advance!
If I'm understanding correctly, the three of you are going AUS-OAK together, right? There is no issue with that portion of the trip.

If you are the companion pass holder and you are not planning on taking the OAK-AUS flight, then your companion can't take the flight either. They may let the companion board the plane, however they will pull that person off the plane if you haven't boarded by the time they are about to close the boarding door.

In my opinion it would be better for you to resolve this issue ahead of time with Southwest (and get either travel funds or a refund of paid points for your OAK-AUS leg), and purchase different tickets for OAK-AUS. However, if for some reason you decide to just leave everything as-is, you will be able to get everyone to OAK but then whomever is designated as the companion will not be able to get back without you on that same plane.

Last edited by Nirvana91; Jul 3, 2019 at 1:00 pm Reason: clarity
Old Jul 3, 2019, 1:10 pm

It seems pretty clear, if your not flying then your companion can't fly, you risk cancelling your companion pass and/or getting your companion stuck somewhere. I would not risk it. You are already getting a free flight from AUS-OAK and only you can decide whether the OAK-AUS flight for your companion is worth the price or convenience of just flying from SFO-YYZ. Per Southwest Website regarding companion pass

The Companion Pass allows the Member to designate an individual to fly with the Member (such designated individual, the “Companion”) on Southwest Airlines flights purchased by the Member and booked through Southwest Airlines during the Companion Pass validity period. A Companion's reservation is not considered a purchased flight, and therefore, another Companion Pass reservation cannot be booked from it.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 2:40 pm

What part of companion don't you understand?

Don't try to game the system. Just buy the minor a ticket back to AUS!
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:37 pm

Straight from southwest.com: https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...nd_regulations

If the Companion is not traveling with the Member, the Companion will be required to pay for his/her ticket. The Member and the Companion must check in together and, if asked, present the Companion Pass card at the Southwest Airlines' Ticket Counter, Skycap podium, or Departure Gate in order for the Companion to travel. Valid photo identification for both Member and the Companion is required. The Member and the Companion must board with their assigned group(s).

tl:dr
1) if you aren't both travelling, the companion must pay for his/her own ticket
2) You must both board the plane
3) You must both be available to possibly show ID and the Companion Pass

And this is only a small portion of the Companion Pass Ts & Cs
Old Jul 3, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Easy folks....

Don't be so sure they OP is trying to scam anyone. He actually did pay for the ticket, but now is not going to fly part of the trip. Yes, he is required to fly with the companion person.

The biggest take away from this thing is the risk of having the companion pass totally REVOKED. That could really suck. Way more than having to full price for the younger/minor person.

I would not risk it myself.
lougord99, wrp96, trooper and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 4:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Easy folks....

Don't be so sure they OP is trying to scam anyone. He actually did pay for the ticket, but now is not going to fly part of the trip. Yes, he is required to fly with the companion person.

The biggest take away from this thing is the risk of having the companion pass totally REVOKED. That could really suck. Way more than having to full price for the younger/minor person.

I would not risk it myself.
Thanks. It's very clear that canceling my own ticket requires canceling the companion's ticket, but no-show is a different matter and not clearly spelled out. That's why I asked. Wasn't trying to game anything. Not planning to do this given the consensus here. Matter is closed
kimberlyrose likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still... it does bring up the issue of this happening, for real.

I can see where the primary person could miss a flight, but the companion got there on time. (meetings, traffic, etc).

I could even see a situation where the companion went ahead and boarded not knowing if the other would show up or not.

I understand the "rules", but what in practice does WN do in these situations?
Old Jul 3, 2019, 7:27 pm

While not directly applicable to this situation, I have one tangentially related data point. Once, during IRROPS, I was returning to BOI with my companion. The plan was to get a rental car and drop him off at his home en route to SLC, where I had a solo ticket waiting to take me home to the east coast. Unfortunately, the overnight (mechanical) delay meant that making it to SLC in time was unlikely if not impossible. WN let my companion fly alone (free) to Boise, and flew me to SLC. In IRROPS, it seems, all (well, most) things are possible.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Still... it does bring up the issue of this happening, for real.

I can see where the primary person could miss a flight, but the companion got there on time. (meetings, traffic, etc).

I could even see a situation where the companion went ahead and boarded not knowing if the other would show up or not.

I understand the "rules", but what in practice does WN do in these situations?
Talked with a SWA manager and they have been know to charge the walk-up fare at the gate and have also revoked companion passes. How they caught it, he didn't say. I certainly wouldn't chance it!
bobunf likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:35 pm

Originally Posted by dmbolp
and, if asked, present the Companion Pass card at the Southwest Airlines' Ticket Counter,
Has this ever been requested? We never bring the card. Oops.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 9:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
There is a very easy way to make this work on a domestic flight depending on one's risk tolerance. And if one's risk tolerance is such that they are willing to do it, I'm sure they can figure out how so I won't spell it out. I wouldn't think the risk level is that great but there is risk nonetheless.
Old Jul 3, 2019, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by justhere
There is a very easy way to make this work on a domestic flight depending on one's risk tolerance. And if one's risk tolerance is such that they are willing to do it, I'm sure they can figure out how so I won't spell it out. I wouldn't think the risk level is that great but there is risk nonetheless.
If you’re referring to the old “just use the CP holder's BP once past security” chestnut that’s trotted out occasionally, it’s just poor advice and shouldn’t be attempted under any circumstances IMO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.