Wiki Posts
Search

Wanna GetAway and Standby @SAN?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Wanna GetAway and Standby @SAN?

Due to a mishap, I booked for the last flight at 9:30pm

I arrived at the airport at 3pm - the "closed" terminal for gates 1-10 was packed - no starbucks and 30mins of complementary wifi!

Most SW staff were sticky in putting me in a standby - they were prepared to let the plane go empty thought I have one of their CC. Only when my flight got delayed they let me go.

I used to fly on United & AA and they all let me standby - has it changed? Does any other CC provide insurance that helps me to go on a different flight under these situations?

Any other tips?

UPDATE:
1) SAN to SJC route
2) Alaska now flies that route - how are their terms?

Last edited by sciconf; Jun 18, 2016 at 7:31 pm
Old Jun 18, 2016, 5:45 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by sciconf

I arrived at the airport at 3pm - the "closed" terminal for gates 1-10 was packed - no starbucks and 30mins of complementary wifi!

Most SW staff were sticky in putting me in a standby - they were prepared to let the plane go empty thought I have one of their CC. Only when my flight got delayed they let me go.

I used to fly on United & AA and they all let me standby - has it changed? Does any other CC provide insurance that helps me to go on a different flight under these situations?

Any other tips?
Tips on....WiFi, Starbucks, Credit Cards, Sticky Notes....?

If you're asking about standing-by for an earlier Southwest Airlines flight when you purchased a WGA fare on a later flight, they don't do that. Doesn't matter how full the earlier flight(s) is or isn't. Thems the rules, nobody said it has to make sense.

Options are buy-up to Anytime or Business Select fare (if available) for an earlier flight, wait for your original flight, or fly somebody else. Not knowing your destination, can't really suggest other carriers (I don't fly them anyway).

I'm pretty sure the legacies (DL/AA/UA) and the also-rans (F9/B6/VX/) also don't do walk-up stand-by at no charge for a customer with no status. In this particular situation, Southwest doesn't give a care about your status (or mine).
Old Jun 18, 2016, 6:56 pm

Any other tips?
3:00 arrival for a 9:30 flight...thus a potential six hours in the Circle of Death. Condolences for any amount of time spent there.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by steved5480
Tips on....WiFi, Starbucks, Credit Cards, Sticky Notes....?

If you're asking about standing-by for an earlier Southwest Airlines flight when you purchased a WGA fare on a later flight, they don't do that. Doesn't matter how full the earlier flight(s) is or isn't. Thems the rules, nobody said it has to make sense.

Options are buy-up to Anytime or Business Select fare (if available) for an earlier flight, wait for your original flight, or fly somebody else. Not knowing your destination, can't really suggest other carriers (I don't fly them anyway).

I'm pretty sure the legacies (DL/AA/UA) and the also-rans (F9/B6/VX/) also don't do walk-up stand-by at no charge for a customer with no status. In this particular situation, Southwest doesn't give a care about your status (or mine).
My route was
SAN to SJC

Does Alaska's term any better? I could buy Alaska instead?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smmrfld
3:00 arrival for a 9:30 flight...thus a potential six hours in the Circle of Death. Condolences for any amount of time spent there.
Do they really call with that name "Circle of Death"?

I left before 7pm on a delayed flight.

I am newbie to SouthWest. I might do this route (SAN to SJC) 3-5 times a yr.
I am looking for tips or alternatives. I don't know why we don't have a bullet train but we put a man on the moon first
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:36 pm

My route was
SAN to SJC

Does Alaska's term any better? I could buy Alaska instead?
Why don't you ask on the Alaska Airlines forum, rather than the Southwest forum? Or check the Alaska Airlines website.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If you get a free standby on any airline without having status, you are very lucky.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:41 pm
Original Poster

Do they give a full refund if it is a Wanna GetAway fare paid cash?
Do they give a full refund if it is a Wanna GetAway fare paid by points?
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:44 pm

duplicate post
Old Jun 18, 2016, 7:45 pm

Do they give a full refund if it is a Wanna GetAway fare paid cash?
Do they give a full refund if it is a Wanna GetAway fare paid by points?
Cash = travel credit good for a year from when you bought the ticket to be used by the person who's name is on the ticket.
Points = refunded to the original account.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:45 pm

Do they really call with that name "Circle of Death"?
Yes...I believe it's on the same sign that indicates Gates 3-10.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Yes...I believe it's on the same sign that indicates Gates 3-10.
LOL
Old Jun 18, 2016, 9:20 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards, Jetblue TrueBlue, American Advantage
If its anything like "Circle of Death @ Newark Liberty International Airport" aka Newark Terminal A then my condolenses as well. Ironically Southwest operates out of our circle of death too.
Old Jun 18, 2016, 10:10 pm

Circle of hell is what it's been referred to here in the fourm before. My condolences as well. My advice is get out of the terminal and walk to the harbor island or Spanish landing park along the bay front. It's about a10 -15 minute walk across the street. Either that or grab a quick $5 uber to little Italy, pt loma, or Liberty station. San Diego is way too nice of a place not enjoy for a few hours.

The only good thing terminal 1 at SAN has going is that it's always less than a 3 min walk from curb to the farthest terminal in the circle- just factor in TSA screening delay time.
Old Jun 19, 2016, 1:33 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
If you get a free standby on any airline without having status, you are very lucky.
AS considers SAN-SJC a shuttle flight, which qualifies for free standby, regardless of status or fare bucket. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...e-markets.html
Yet another reason not to fly WN. AS fee is $25 for same day standby on all other routes, for those without status, discounted coach ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.