Wiki Posts
Search

A-list boarding

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, SWA A-list +
A-list boarding

Why do A-list passengers think they can line up as A61? The last few flights where I have lined up as in the A-list boarding area there has been a person or two try this tactic to jump the queue that has formed in the Alist/family boarding area.

My hope is that the gate agents don't reward bad behavior.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by envgeo
Why do A-list passengers think they can line up as A61? The last few flights where I have lined up as in the A-list boarding area there has been a person or two try this tactic to jump the queue that has formed in the Alist/family boarding area.

... I'm a little confused, as I've only had to take advantage of the perk a couple times, but I was told both times that I could board 'after A-60.' I just hung out right behind A-60 and got onboard. I have never seen signage indicating some other place for A-Listers with pathetic assigned boarding positions to stand. I don't think I'd call it bad behavior, so much as (if there is supposed to be some other method) truly bad communication on WN's part to let us know what we're supposed to do.

When you do it, do you just get in line with the family boarders? Or do you typically see two separate lines? I'm racking my brain but I really can't remember seeing a separate 'A-Lister' line...
Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Why do A-list passengers think they can line up as A61?
Been that way for years:

New boarding policy: A-listers with B's or C's can board after A60
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by synergistic
... I'm a little confused, as I've only had to take advantage of the perk a couple times, but I was told both times that I could board 'after A-60.' I just hung out right behind A-60 and got onboard. I have never seen signage indicating some other place for A-Listers with pathetic assigned boarding positions to stand. I don't think I'd call it bad behavior, so much as (if there is supposed to be some other method) truly bad communication on WN's part to let us know what we're supposed to do.

When you do it, do you just get in line with the family boarders? Or do you typically see two separate lines? I'm racking my brain but I really can't remember seeing a separate 'A-Lister' line...
Generally, there A-list folks line up in the same area as the family boarding just in front of or off to the side of the families.

TooManyBooks - that thread is about A-list boarding prior to B group, which I am aware of. My comment is specific to where A-list folks line up to board when A-list passengers are called to board prior to B group.

That is interesting that you have been told to line up after the A60 group - I have never been told that, but generally I just go straight to the family boarding area and not the desk.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:10 pm

That is interesting that you have been told to line up after the A60 group - I have never been told that, but generally I just go straight to the family boarding area and not the desk.
I'm trying to recall the phrasing, but I don't think I was specifically told to line up behind A-60, just that I was allowed to board 'after A-60' or 'after A group.' I don't think I was given any real instructions at all, tbh, which is why I'd hesitate to call it bad behavior even if there's some other policy we're supposed to be following.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:09 pm

I just fall in behind A-60 and board at the end of the As. I want to board before Family Boarding. No one usually says anything to me but if they start to and I just say "A-List" and they waive me through.

At times Family Boarding can be a zoo, and I'd rather avoid it.

I don't consider it bad behavior, simply taking advantage of a benefit of my status.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: VX Gold/WN Companion
Due to last minute changes I am often in that A list with a B or worse position. I wait to be called, but I also hate waiting in the cattle call line. With that, I can tell ya I have no problem with the tactic as the "family boarding" folks can be clogging up the area jockeying for a positions for some reason and you have to fight though them...or worse the GA just announces them all together and you are having to follow all the families as they bum rush the gate.

After A60...the call SHOULD be for A/A+ ...THEN FB anyway, so I have no problem with the A61 procedure even if I am waiting.

If it is A60...then A/A+...THEN FB...what is getting you panties in a wad?
drooley and steved5480 like this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Keep hoping....I tend to think they don't know, and if they know, they don't care. They have one goal in mind: turn this aircraft ASAP.

I know it's anecdotal, but I have not seen a GA dissuade a line jumper in years. What I HAVE heard when I hear anything is "Well, don't do it next time"
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Keep hoping....I tend to think they don't know, and if they know, they don't care. They have one goal in mind: turn this aircraft ASAP.

I know it's anecdotal, but I have not seen a GA dissuade a line jumper in years. What I HAVE heard when I hear anything is "Well, don't do it next time"
Well I did hear the gate agent today at Love Field says "a list and a list preferred without an A boarding number, will board after the A-boarding group. Please line up to my left."
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:59 pm

Well I did hear the gate agent today at Love Field says "a list and a list preferred without an A boarding number, will board after the A-boarding group. Please line up to my left."
It just occurred to me that it's entirely possible that's been announced on flights I've taken, but I justlet it go in one ear and out the other because I had an A boarding pass. I will keep my eyes and ears open in the future, it may happen more frequently now that I have more opportunity to get bad boarding position due to standing by for earlier flights.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:02 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by synergistic
it may happen more frequently now that I have more opportunity to get bad boarding position due to standing by for earlier flights.
You may be luckier, but I rarely get cleared for boarding earlier than B boarding.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
You may be luckier, but I rarely get cleared for boarding earlier than B boarding.
I should have realized that, it makes perfect sense. You're allowed to board as soon as you're cleared in that situation, yes? I expect to (attempt to) take advantage of it more in the future, especially if they continue/expand the points discounting of late flights.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:57 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Yes. You can go to the front of whatever is currently boarding as A-list, even if you were given a C boarding pass.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:12 am

Programs: WN A+, AS MVP75K, Marriott Platinum, National EE
I buy a lot of last minute flights for work and I think I have done it both ways, line up a the gate, line up behind A60. I don't worry about it too much, as by the time you are past A30 all the exit rows are taken and at that point all windows and aisles are the same to me.

I also feel like the gate agent always announces that A-List is welcome to board between A and B groups and always calls them before family boarding.

A-List preferred benefits are pretty light, I'd love to see them move A-List Preferred boarding to in between A30 and A31 which would provide some additional value.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:16 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by dabeags
A-List preferred benefits are pretty light, I'd love to see them move A-List Preferred boarding to in between A30 and A31 which would provide some additional value.
That's a good idea. Although I sometimes draw A31+ on commuter-heavy flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.