Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Elderly lady gets lost on WN. Twice in a couple years.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Elderly lady gets lost on WN. Twice in a couple years.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2013, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Poker2012chu
My question is how did the FA not notice that the thru count was off? Last I checked, FA's are supposed to take a head count on the number of thru passengers after connecting and departing passengers deplane. Surely the FA would've noticed that the count was one higher than it was supposed to be...
They still would have closed the door and dispatched the flight, IMO. You ever hear a PA requesting 175 people hand up their boarding passes?

While load verification is mandatory, a one-seat discrepancy may be just inside the database error margin.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:00 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by LegalTender
They still would have closed the door and dispatched the flight, IMO. You ever hear a PA requesting 175 people hand up their boarding passes?

While load verification is mandatory, a one-seat discrepancy may be just inside the database error margin.
Yes, in fact I have seen them ask all passengers for their ID... slowly checking them off a printed list-- since obviously boarding passes were surrendered at the time of boarding. Most of the time only when it's a full flight and they need the seat.

On the flip side, I've seen them let a count slide by calling jumpseat/4th to 4th even if they should have had a seat open.

If this elderly passenger was on a thru flight, they do religiously check thru count.... But she could have gone un-noticed is if some other passenger got off the plane early (hidden city ticketing) since the count would have been exactly correct.

EDIT: The ONLY nonstop ATL-PIT flights are operated by Airtran. In my mind, that explains the screwup :->

Last edited by expert7700; Dec 25, 2013 at 9:35 pm
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
Southwest's Employees are not Elder-Care nurses. The end.
^^ Marketing GOLD.

Just add a fun animation character and post it at WN counters. Leave space for a basket with "No Hablo Spanglish" pins.

The woman was scanned onto a flight to Pittsburgh with a boarding pass for Ft. Myers. Southwest bears at least some responsibility. The end.

Last edited by LegalTender; Dec 25, 2013 at 9:10 pm
Old Dec 25, 2013, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
.... she could have gone un-noticed is if some other passenger got off the plane early (hidden city ticketing) since the count would have been exactly correct.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hidden City was until recently explicitly condoned by Southwest, its current status is ambiguous.
Old Dec 25, 2013, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480
There are several circumstances in which the count could be one-off; none of them are common but it can happen. The most common situation is a local no-show combined with a mis-connected thru as rsteinmetz70112 outlines.

Much less-likely that assigned seats and the accompanying automation/auditing would have let this slip by, but again no guarantees.

Whether Southwest should or should not have assigned seating is a topic for many other threads. It has been (and likely will be) discussed in-detail. Southwest does not presently offer assigned seating.

Certainly it's unfortunate the old gal ended-up taking the scenic route via PIT, but there ARE worse places to visit.

100% of the blame (or whatever you care to call it) lies on the shoulders of the old girl's offspring. Simple. Many old folk are quite functional and capable at age 85. Quite obviously Maria is not in that group. How many more examples does her irresponsible spawn need? You don't "put her on a plane", you go WITH her and TAKE her to Florida. If that's not convenient or too expensive, she stays home. Simple.

There is a recent thread over on the United board re: a significant change to United's UM policy. Some people are pleased with the change, many are not.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ec-2013-a.html

It's events like Maria's that no doubt drove this change at United. While Maria and UM's are at opposite ends of life's journey, the circumstances and very occasional undesirable outcomes are quite similar.

Remember that this is America, where it's ALWAYS someone else's fault.

Southwest's Employees are not Elder-Care nurses. The end.
Well said!
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:03 am

Noticed a couple of things:

Looking at the index card her daughter sent with her, I saw "zone 3"; an Airtran boarding zone. Was she connecting from a Southwest flight to an AirTran flight or was this supposed to be an all AirTran trip?

Also, on the website about the story, there is a link to the other time this lady got lost while traveling: http://www.wect.com/story/16107301/n...-up-in-florida

In that first story, her son states "She missed her direct flight, and Southwest Airlines put her on a connecting flight through Nashville".

With two non-stop Southwest flights from Chicago to Ft. Myers on December 22, why would her family even consider this recent trip with a connection? I really don't get it!

Last edited by NextTrip; Dec 26, 2013 at 1:18 am
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:12 am

Programs: UA & IHG Plat, SWAlist, Frontier 100k, Marriott Titan, IHG-Hilton-Hyatt-Wynd Gold, Nat EE, Hertz PC
Scary that she could board without a proper boarding pass. Maybe they need to put her on a 'Check her if she is flying to make sure she is on the correct flight list'.

-Patrick
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:21 am

Originally Posted by TIGA31328
Scary that she could board without a proper boarding pass. Maybe they need to put her on a 'Check her if she is flying to make sure she is on the correct flight list'.

-Patrick
Maybe the family should consider visiting her in Indiana. This flying thing obviously isn't working for for.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 1:48 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Perhaps Mama needs one of these "loving" children to travel with her instead of sticking an index card on her (like a 3 year old) and shipping her like baggage with connections.

Where did her 2 free bags go? I bet they made it. Next time send her in baggage or cargo.

Perhaps, mama was the smart one two times, trying to get away from these jewels of kids. She may be smarter than you think.

I guess the "little jewels" will lawyer up and sue WN.

I sure hope my kids treat me like this on Christmas next year. Should have stuck her on Allegiant or Spirit with a discount for a rental car when she arrives, so she can drive to your house. No need to pick-up mama. She can figure out the GPS in the Avis rental.

Perhaps over some eggnog you could watch the award winning film "Throw Mama from the Train". Give me a break.......
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:57 am

Programs: AA MM EP, QF Gold, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTT, HH Gold, National Exec, Hertz PC
The article is pretty clear that she was not a through passenger and wheelchair services brought her to a gate in Atlanta, but it was one that was serving several flights. How she was allowed to board the wrong flight is beyond me, but I've never actually flown AirTran, so perhaps it's easier on AirTran.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: UA-1MM,AA
So the money-saving strategy now is to buy the cheapest ticket you can for any destination and then board whatever flight you choose.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 10:04 am

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by merrickdb
The article is pretty clear that she was not a through passenger and wheelchair services brought her to a gate in Atlanta, but it was one that was serving several flights. How she was allowed to board the wrong flight is beyond me, but I've never actually flown AirTran, so perhaps it's easier on AirTran.
Amen to that! So many people on here are going off on her kids without reading the story at all. Her son CLEARLY stated wheelchair assistance was requested and thus, an airline representative would have been involved - that puts the blame 100% on Southwest. All this non-sense everyone is referring to regarding thru flights and counts is IRRELEVANT, so no need to waste people's time venting about something that didn't happen. Whether this was Southwest to AirTran connection or AirTran to AirTran connection, I suspect that the gate indicated on the card may have changed once she arrived in Atlanta - the rep may have brought the woman to that gate but at that time, it may have already been the wrong gate. Since the woman was in the rep's care after she got off the flight, it was THEIR responsibility to know where she was going. The only other explanation I can find is that sometimes when there are wheel-chaired passengers, the gate agents don't always scan the boarding passes but on an AirTran flight, there is assigned seating and it would have been pure coincidence that the seat she was given would not be occupied by another passenger and thus, the mistake would have been taken care of before take-off. I completely agree with her son that the odds of this happening are slim and indeed, it did happen. This could have been caught at several points but it wasn't, so clearly, Southwest/AirTran is to blame.

Finally, whether it's OK or not to send a passenger who can't get around on its own alone to travel is another matter. Since airlines offer assistance for passengers in need, I don't blame the kids for relying on that and sending their mother on her own. After this happened twice, I guarantee you they will not be doing it again.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
I can't believe the kids were too cheap to put her on one of the 2-3 daily nonstops

also, dumping somone at an airport to fly by themselves--someone so incoherent that she doesn't pay attention to signs or cannot cannot hear now taking preboards to PIT welcome aboard this flight to PIT is a crime in itself.

an index card doesn't quite cut it.

a much UNHAPPIER ending could have occurred if the kids had bought her bus ticket and left her at a bus terminal. or paid for her to rent a car and drive.
Old Dec 26, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA1K - SPG Plat
four things

1. if the family felt she needed "an index card", the family should have known she needed someone to fly with her. i have a 91yo grandmother in FL - if she is to fly somewhere, i go down, collect her, fly her to her destination, and do the same when it is time to go home.
2. pay the extra bucks for a non-stop - it will be easier on the beloved family member.
3. i am sure this family would be the first family to complain if there was a charge for wheelchair assistance - it is about time that airlines charge for this. if the family was being charged then they would have a leg to stand on - but a courtesy service is just that - and it is farmed out to people who are barely making the minimum wage.
4. shouldnt the woman have said something when the flight attendant announce 30 times that this was flight xxx to PIT? if the pax was not coherent enough to understand that announcement, the pax SHOULD NOT be traveling alone (see number 1). people board the wrong flights all the time. with all the pressures and staffing cuts, even the most competent agent may miss something. i am not going to guess what happened, but many different factors could have contributed.

funny that lightening has struck twice in this family....
Old Dec 26, 2013, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by OMAguy
funny that lightening has struck twice in this family....
$$$

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.