Wiki Posts
Search

Airport with the most PreBoards?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SWA Styrofoam, Marriott Rew, SPG, HHonors
Airport with the most PreBoards?

The most Preboards I ever saw for a Southwest flight was about 16 people at ISP (Long Island). That was about four years ago. What was striking about it was that it seemed the mindset was it was a nice thing to do for your Mom, whether she had mobility impairments or not. Oh, and by the way, she got priority seating as a result.

Last month, I was surprised to see 13 chairs waiting to preboard at MHT (Manchester, NH) and mentioned my surprise about the high number to the gate agent. She informed me that they always have high numbers, especially for such a small airport. The gate agent also introduced me to the term "Miracles", referring to people who need assistance to preboard but during the flight experience a miraculous recovery that allows them to grab their bag and hit the jetway without assistance. God is good!

In discussing this with various flight attendants, they echo the experience with Miracles. Several have pointed out that the least favorite destination is Palm Beach due to preboard frenzy, Miracles and the general "Do You Know Who I Am?" attitude most often seen with those passenger. Also, frequently heard: Obesity is not a disability.

What are your experiences? I was raised in a two wheelchair family, so I'm ready to be told how insensitive I am....
Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:28 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Ok, I'll indulge, but you are very late to the party. Read here and see my post #31 about ISP but its certainly not limited to that airport. Flew out of there Monday afternoon and older people we arguing with the skycaps about where their wheelchairs were and who was waiting the longest for them. 16 is nothing, maybe 16 wheelchairs plus an entourage of blue sleeves too.

I don't doubt that there are legitimate needs but I am convinced many folks have figured out its nice to be pushed and pampered through security in this manner. Somehow they've gotten to the airport and to the counter OK but suddenly need a wheelchair until the race to deplane.

Plus the blue sleeve abuse. In September, I noticed an "able bodied" Deadhead boarding before me in Denver as a preboard as I held A01. Than I ran into him on the very crowded and packed standing room only floors of three shows in Seattle and Oakland, standing against the front of the stage for 5 hours at a time. He also figured out the ADA entrance at the venues apparently to cut the lines and stake out the prime spots.

I am very grateful that Southwest does rigidly enforce the exit row restrictions against preboards, but on the other hand, the 6 prime bulkhead seats are never available because of this.

Originally Posted by joshua362
Just took a ISP-MCO-DEN flight last week where we stayed on at MCO. Must have been at least 10 wheelchairs going down. The wheelchair person at MCO came into an empty aircraft and asked the FA if everyone was off. She replied, "Yup, Another Miracle Flight !!
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...ue-sleeve.html
Old Dec 5, 2013, 3:47 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I'd say it's not anywhere out of the ordinary for me to see twenty plus as preboards at LAS, usually with 3/4 accomplishing WN in-flight miracles by the end of the flight. Many of the Florida airports are just as bad, but LAS is my home airport so I've seen it more often there. From what I've been told WN passengers are roughly 90-95% of the wheelchair requests at LAS.

A few days ago out of twenty-two pre-boarders at LAS, one of them and his traveling companion were arguing with a GA that they should be put on first due to his intensive injuries. Claims he can't sit anywhere but the first row, he won't be able to walk down the plane any further back. So fine, they are. I get on and of course between the pre-boards and though passengers I'm stuck with an aisle seat in the back even though I'm boarding under A-15.

Turns out that flight was one of the few I actually checked a bag, a friend moved recently and I was bringing some stuff to save them some shipping. Who do I see at baggage giving a piggy back ride to his two nieces? Yep, Mr. I Can Walk Again Thanks to Southwest.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 3:59 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
I hit a lot of WN airports and yes, MHT has a lot of preboarders. Lots of older folks shuttling to FL. I'd say the same for the FL airports heading back to New England and New York. Snow birds.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jb3t
I hit a lot of WN airports and yes, MHT has a lot of preboarders. Lots of older folks shuttling to FL. I'd say the same for the FL airports heading back to New England and New York. Snow birds.
Yep. MCO, TPA and PHX are the ones I notice. I don't use FLL but that has a Blue Sleeve reputation as well. In NY, ALB and BUF both have significant preboarders.

I board as a blue sleeve passenger only because WN requests that I do so to clear the COS off the boarding screen. I would be OK using my A+ position, but it messes up the OA as they are looking for me. I do not take the bulkhead, even if open. I like the window A seat. Any row is fine.

That said, having watched the process, one of these days WN will be forced to address this issue. The abuse is significant, but for the most part, the blue sleeve people get them legitimately. It will be up to us, the blue sleeve users to stand up and complain as it is us that will be inconvenienced most by any changes.

Last edited by InkUnderNails; Dec 5, 2013 at 4:15 pm
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:09 pm

Programs: WN, HH
Gotta go with LAS. To PBI from December-March and from PBI May-June is an awesome display.
Blue sleeve abuse is strong and growing, some don't even bother faking - just pop down the jetway and bound off the plane later, absolutely no conscious. I think many have a doc in the family and get the authorizing letter. WN better fix this soon but it's not clear what the remedy is.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:17 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by crosstree
Gotta go with LAS. To PBI from December-March and from PBI May-June is an awesome display.
Blue sleeve abuse is strong and growing, some don't even bother faking - just pop down the jetway and bound off the plane later, absolutely no conscious. I think many have a doc in the family and get the authorizing letter. WN better fix this soon but it's not clear what the remedy is.
No letter is required. Just a request by the passenger for the blue sleeve.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:18 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Back in May on SJU-MCO we seriously had something like at least 50 preboarders. For what it's worth, there really were quite a few elderly and infirm looking folks in the preboard line but what was burning me up was the fact that the entire family was boarding with abuelo or abuela instead of just a single assistant.

The absolute mess that I saw there made me admit that they may need to go with assigned seating in the international and non English markets.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:18 pm

Programs: WN, HH
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
No letter is required. Just a request by the passenger for the blue sleeve.
Thanks, thought there had to be some check/balance.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by crosstree
Thanks, thought there had to be some check/balance.
There is. Passenger integrity.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 7:41 pm

Programs: WN CP, WN A-List Preferred, AS MVPG 75k, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by alggag
Back in May on SJU-MCO we seriously had something like at least 50 preboarders. For what it's worth, there really were quite a few elderly and infirm looking folks in the preboard line but what was burning me up was the fact that the entire family was boarding with abuelo or abuela instead of just a single assistant.

The absolute mess that I saw there made me admit that they may need to go with assigned seating in the international and non English markets.
I've seen some of the WN flights out of SJU that sound similar to your experience. One elderly relative apparently qualifies a family of eight for preboarding.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 8:59 pm

The only solution to this mess is assigned seating. An there are even cheaters in that.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 6:50 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The only solution to this mess is assigned seating. An there are even cheaters in that.
This is only a 'mess', if you have very specific seats you are looking for. If that is the case, then the WN system doesn't work very well for you.

I fly around 30 segments a year and I can't remember the last time I didn't get a window in front of the wing. I am quite satisfied with no assigned seats.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
This is only a 'mess', if you have very specific seats you are looking for.
Or you're not flying by yourself and resent budgeting extra to skip boarding order games.
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, SWA Styrofoam, Marriott Rew, SPG, HHonors
Well, not really...

Or you're not flying by yourself and resent budgeting extra to skip boarding order games.

Actually, this is an outgrowth of my recent post about being BS A5 and getting jammed out of the front row or exit seats.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.