FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Nose gear collapse on landing at LGA (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1487219-nose-gear-collapse-landing-lga.html)

penlin Jul 22, 2013 3:56 pm

Nose gear collapse on landing at LGA

It just happened.. I hope everyone is ok.. No flames.. People are coming off on the rear slides.. Front wheel did not come out.. Sparks all the way down the runway...

penlin Jul 22, 2013 3:57 pm

plane crash of southwest aircraft in LGA

I have a couple of cell phone pics.. But can't seem to upload them...

pinniped Jul 22, 2013 4:04 pm

None of the big news sites have it yet.

Emergency landing with no nose gear as opposed to a plane crash, correct?

yojimbo Jul 22, 2013 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 21140811)
None of the big news sites have it yet.

Yes......I don't think the word "crash" applies here

SeattleFred Jul 22, 2013 4:16 pm

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/1964...ew-york-photo/

joshua362 Jul 22, 2013 4:16 pm

Gear up landing vs plane crash, huge difference. Sounds like a nose collapse because if they knew about it I'm sure they would have diverted to longer runways.

penlin Jul 22, 2013 4:16 pm

Emergency landing would indicate the pilot knew they were in trouble.. Does not look that way in that the emergency personnel did not respond for at least 3 to 5 minutes after plan was on the ground.. Hence the word crash..

penlin Jul 22, 2013 4:17 pm

I just hope everyone made it off the plane safely...

pinniped Jul 22, 2013 4:19 pm

20 minutes later, still no news coverage. All of the big sites are all royal baby and Ryan Braun.

I'll take that to (hopefully) mean a successful gear-up emergency landing without injuries. I have to think if it was a "plane crash", we'd move off of the royal baby for just a moment. :)

The flight from BNA I presume?

EDIT: Only mention I can find of anything amiss is on Flightaware - a statement that LGA is closed until 7PM due to an emergency.

LegalTender Jul 22, 2013 4:20 pm

http://m.theepochtimes.com/n3/eet-co...st-676x450.jpg

dw Jul 22, 2013 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by pinniped (Post 21140811)

Yes, perhaps this thread title needs to be changed

Exiled in Express Jul 22, 2013 4:22 pm

No injuries per CNN.

penlin Jul 22, 2013 4:24 pm

Is that something I can do or a moderator?

pinniped Jul 22, 2013 4:28 pm

6:27PM EDT: CNN finally bumped Ryan Braun to make room for the WN flight. Indeed, it's 345 from BNA.

No injuries ^, so no need to move any of the royal baby real estate. Just Ryan Braun.

auggie doggie Jul 22, 2013 4:31 pm

Just to be clear: Neither the royal baby or ryan braun were injured!

MSPeconomist Jul 22, 2013 4:35 pm

CNN International has been covering nothing else for about the last half hour, not even the new royal baby boy. However, I'm not sure crash is the right word. AFAIK the aircraft landed without its nose landing gear. The angle looks dramatic. Maybe the concern is the lack of emergency vehicles.

drooley Jul 22, 2013 4:38 pm

I prefer to get my news from flyertalk, rather than CNN. Much more reliable. :)

LegalTender Jul 22, 2013 4:38 pm

Hope the crew declared an emergency like the last time this happened:

Southwest Jet Skids After Landing Gear Collapses

elbejt2 Jul 22, 2013 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by drooley (Post 21141006)
I prefer to get my news from flyertalk, rather than CNN. Much more reliable. :)

There is no doubt - I dont even turn on the tv for stuff like this.

steved5480 Jul 22, 2013 4:48 pm

Since we cannot rely on the buffoonery that calls itself the nooz media for anything approaching facts, are there any LGA regulars amongst us that know the LGA field well & can tell from the pics what runway they landed on and roughly where they came to a halt?

ursine1 Jul 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Nose gear collapse; 3 "minor" injuries; LGA closed for now.

Southwest Plane Lands at LaGuardia with Nose Gear Collapse

qwertyasdfghzxcvbn Jul 22, 2013 4:53 pm

Tower radio: http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kl...2013-2130Z.mp3

Don't know what the tower guy is saying but it sounds like it happens at 13:30 into the audio.

Edit: or 12:20 if downloaded.

expert7700 Jul 22, 2013 4:58 pm

tail # N753SW, delivered 10/21/1999

Judging by the photos I'd say the engines may have been scraping down the runway.

Had an emergency been declared prior to landing I'll bet they would have divered to Newark's 11k runway in favor of the 7k runways at LGA.

CaptainMiles Jul 22, 2013 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 21141103)
tail # N753SW, delivered 10/21/1999

Judging by the photos I'd say the engines may have been scraping down the runway.

Had an emergency been declared prior to landing I'll bet they would have divered to Newark's 11k runway in favor of the 7k runways at LGA.

This. Or JFK. Or even SWF, which no one would care or barely notice if it closed for an hour or two. Any of those would have much better repair facilities.

I imagine the crew has no advance notice that this would happen, or they would have diverted.

steved5480 Jul 22, 2013 5:16 pm

715pm EDT and LGA tower just started launching departures off runway 13.

N830MH Jul 22, 2013 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express (Post 21140930)
No injuries per CNN.

Wow! Lucky day, huh? Whew! That was too close. Because it has problem in front landing gear that did not deployed. I knows it won't open, but it didn't work at all.

OPNLguy Jul 22, 2013 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by steved5480 (Post 21141061)
are there any LGA regulars amongst us that know the LGA field well & can tell from the pics what runway they landed on and roughly where they came to a halt?

My info is that runway 04 was in use.

I had to turn off the TV coverage because some of the babble coming from the talking heads was about to make me ruin a perfectly good TV set...

coachrowsey Jul 22, 2013 5:36 pm

Originally Posted by OPNLguy (Post 21141286)
My info is that runway 04 was in use.

I had to turn off the TV coverage because some of the babble coming from the talking heads was about to make me ruin a perfectly good TV set...

You can expect nothing else from these idiots in the news.

flyflyer Jul 22, 2013 5:37 pm

Photos

Hi Penlin,

I work for CBS National News. I was wondering if you could email your photos? [email protected]

Thank you,
Nicole

expert7700 Jul 22, 2013 5:39 pm

The ATC audio feed had bits and pieces where the Southwest captain was told to close all plane doors and didn't know why they could not evacuate. ATC seemed to say that it was because they wanted to first thoroughly spray the plane. ATC had to keep on trying to get an emergency responder on his frequency to speak Southwest. All that costs valuable time, that in a worse emergency situation, could be a catastrophe. (Obviously, though, if smoke/fire is visible, the crew would evacuate first without needing to even communicate via radio.)

Edit: After thinking about this, I can't help but wonder if the conversation on the ATC tape and delay was because of the SFO runover. It's a scary thought if crews will now wait to spray any fire retardant foam if doors are open/people are evacuating.

I *AM* impressed that the first few people shown in the evacuation photo didn't have roller bags/briefcases in hand (unlike with other flights I've seen on the news). I'd be in favor or a $25k mandatory fine + legal charges for criminal negligence for anyone who evacuates and carries personal property with them (which can damage the slide, injure others, or slow down the evacuation).

OPNLguy Jul 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 21141298)
After listening to the ATC audio I think things could have been more coordinated. The Southwest captain was told to close all plane doors and didn't know why they could not evacuate. ATC dispatcher could only speculate that it was because they wanted to first thoroughly spray the plane. ATC had to keep on trying to get an emergency responder on his frequency to speak Southwest. All that costs valuable time, that in a worse emergency situation, could be a catastrophe.

Edit: After thinking about this, I wonder if this delay was because of the SFO runover. It's a scary thought if crews are not willing to spray fire retardant foam if doors are open/people are evacuating.

ATC Dispatcher? No wonder my family thinks I'm a controller... ;)

OPNLguy Jul 22, 2013 5:49 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey (Post 21141292)
You can expect nothing else from these idiots in the news.

“If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed.”

― Mark Twain

expert7700 Jul 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by OPNLguy (Post 21141335)
ATC Dispatcher? No wonder my family thinks I'm a controller... ;)

My bad, modified my post!!

Tell your family that you also ensure that weather and maintenance never mess up a schedule. Especially that of the first year medical resident who books the last connection of the day (inside FT forum joke there)

ursine1 Jul 22, 2013 6:04 pm

Southwest's official announcement, via Twitter and Facebook:

UPDATE: Southwest Airlines ‪#‎flight345‬ landed at New York’s LaGuardia at 5:40 PM Eastern Monday evening from Nashville. The aircraft is a Boeing 737-700. Eyewitness reports indicate the aircraft’s nosegear collapsed upon landing. There were 150 people on board including Customers and Crew. All Customers have been deplaned and transferred to the terminal. Initial reports indicate local responders are caring for five Customers and three flight attendants who have reported injuries at this time. Southwest is cooperating with local authorities, and the NTSB has been notified.

SDCA Jul 22, 2013 6:07 pm

I hope to dispel the myth about how it "comes in 3".

Asiana and now SWA. Hope there is no more.

OPNLguy Jul 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 21141363)
My bad, modified my post!!

Tell your family that you also ensure that weather and maintenance never mess up a schedule. Especially that of the first year medical resident who books the last connection of the day (inside FT forum joke there)

Oh, yes, and the NWS never gets a forecast wrong, like the drubbing that LAS took the other night...

Your inside joke had me chuckling... ;)

alggag Jul 22, 2013 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by SDCA (Post 21141409)
I hope to dispel the myth about how it "comes in 3".

Asiana and now SWA. Hope there is no more.

Well, the incident in Iceland would make 3 but that's if you don't count the fatal incident that occurred in Alaska the day after the Asiana crash landing. So in other words, it's just a matter of perspective.

toomanybooks Jul 22, 2013 6:16 pm

USA Today report from eyewitness says the nose gear was "off the plane," not just collapsed.

Broken off?

SDCA Jul 22, 2013 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by alggag (Post 21141431)
Well, the incident in Iceland would make 3 but that's if you don't count the fatal incident that occurred in Alaska the day after the Asiana crash landing. So in other words, it's just a matter of perspective.

Oh, I didn't hear or read anything about the Iceland and Alaska incident.

toomanybooks Jul 22, 2013 6:20 pm

Some more pictures:

http://www.jaunted.com/story/2013/7/...uardia+Airport