Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

If you achieved CP, what happen to the RR Points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2013, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Let's say you achieved Companion Pass status by collecting 110,000 Rapid Rewards points.

What happens to that 110,000 points? Is it going to disappear?

If the points stays still after you have your CP status, can you use it for flight ticket purchase? And what happens if you have less than 110,000 points after you have your CP status?

And, if you don't use your 110,000 Points til CP's expiration, do you get to have another CP for the next year?

I know so many questions here, but please bear with me.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:02 pm

You don't redeem your 110k RR points in for the CP. You said it yourself; you achieve CP status.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
It's a bonus extra when you hit 110K in the calendar year. No cost.

The counter goes back to zero with the new year. No rollover: you have to get the full 110K again. Of course, when you get it, it's good all the way to the end of the following calendar year.

Almost any conceivable WN question will be answered in the FAQ.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:08 pm
Original Poster

Let say I have 50K points that can count toward to CP.

Say I used all 50K for my flight, does that mean I have to earn 50K again and remaining points to get CP status?

So basically my question would be, should I have UNUSED 110K RR points that count toward to CP?
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:34 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by townhurst
Let say I have 50K points that can count toward to CP.

Say I used all 50K for my flight, does that mean I have to earn 50K again and remaining points to get CP status?

So basically my question would be, should I have UNUSED 110K RR points that count toward to CP?
For companion pass all that matters is how many you earn in that year. Redeeming them for flights does not impact your progress to earning companion pass.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 4:52 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
There are three types of points kept in three completely different piles.

Companion Pass Points or CPQP. These are collected from paid flights, credit cards, partners and spending. When you get 110,000 you get companion pass for the remainder of the year and all of the next. At the end of the year, WN takes this stack of points and you start from 0.

Tier Qualification Points or TQP. This is the pile that determines when you get A-List (35,000) or Preferred (70,000). They are harder to get as only flying and specific credit card spend can be used to get these points. There are specials to multiply the points, but you still have to fly. At the end of the year, WN takes away all of these points and you start from 0.

Then there are Rapid Rewards Points. These are the points in your account that you can spend to take flights and other things they come from nearly everywhere: paid flights, partners, CC spend, bonuses. These are yours to keep or spend as long as you have account activity from time to time (23 months as I remember it).
Old Jul 17, 2013, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
Companion Pass Points or CPQP. These are collected from paid flights, credit cards, partners and spending. When you get 110,000 you get companion pass for the remainder of the year and all of the next. At the end of the year, WN takes this stack of points and you start from 0.
I'm confused.

Does that mean I can't use CPQP for flight ticket purchase?
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm confused.

A point can be TQP, CPQP, and "regular" all at once. Points earned from flying are in those categories.

Please read the WN FAQ. It explains everything. That's why it was compiled.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 10:23 am

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
I'm confused.

This is one of those Venn Diagram issues: where all Rapid Reward Points are earned for every transaction and those points can be redeemed for travel, but can also fit into other circles. Within Rapid Reward Points, those points can also be sub-categorized as CPQPs, TQPs, both CPQPs and TQPs, or nothing additional. These sub-categories are merely a yearly measurment of those Rapid Reward Points that qualify for either Companion Pass and/or A-List/A-List Preferred status. The use of Rapid Reward Points that were also sub-categorized does not subtract from the sub-categories annual point total, since those sub-category points are not negotiable for travel but only serve as a measurement toward the appropriate status for the year. So to answer your question, CPQPs can never be used for flight ticket purchase, only Rapid Reward Points can be used for flight ticket purchase.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One way to say it is:

The CPQP number is a counter, not a mass of value. It starts at zero on Jan 1. It goes up only during the year. It resets to zero on Jan 1. If it ever hits 110K in the calendar year, you get, as a free bonus, the CP.

Same with TQPs. Zero counter as of Jan. 1. If you get to 35K in the calendar year, you get A-List status for free. If 70K, A-List Preferred.
Old Jul 17, 2013, 12:38 pm

Programs: WN CP/AL, UA 1P, PC Plat, AA, DL, US, AK, HH, MR, OH, LQ, RD (thanks GSA City-Pair Prog/DTS)
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
One way to say it is:

The CPQP number is a counter, not a mass of value. It starts at zero on Jan 1. It goes up only during the year. It resets to zero on Jan 1. If it ever hits 110K in the calendar year, you get, as a free bonus, the CP.

Same with TQPs. Zero counter as of Jan. 1. If you get to 35K in the calendar year, you get A-List status for free. If 70K, A-List Preferred.
Much more eloquent than my rambling response.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 6:53 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
One way to say it is:

Good explanation.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

So I transferred my Chase UR points to Hyatt Gold Passport.

And transferred 100K Hyatt Gold Passport Points to Southwest RR which counts as CP for 60K.

So when I receive that 60K Points from Hyatt, Do I get to use it toward to purchase my flight ticket? and counting toward to CP?
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:26 pm

So when I receive that 60K Points from Hyatt, Do I get to use it toward to purchase my flight ticket? and counting toward to CP?
Yes!
Old Jul 19, 2013, 6:36 pm

Programs: United 1k ; SW A+ Preferred; Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OAKman
Yes!
All of this is essentially covered on the SW website under "What are the Companion Pass Rules and Regulations".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.