Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Holding a flight for connecting passengers. How long is too long

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Holding a flight for connecting passengers. How long is too long

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2018, 12:35 am

Programs: DL SILVER AMEX MRHH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
It ended up being a 25 minute late arrival
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:11 am

Originally Posted by barney44
It ended up being a 25 minute late arrival
Are you okay with that?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Hopefully Delta would have done the same thing with these circumstances.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:37 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
stuck at MCO waiting for 36 people from MSY. Seems to me it’s Southwests way to delay 130 people as opposed to pay for 36 in a hotel when they had a mechanical issue. All comes down to the dollars.
Dollars are, of course, a factor. A very big one. For you and every other passenger who flies commercially in the US. Who do you think winds up paying for increased expenses would could have been managed?

As you yourself point out, you were only delayed by 25 minutes into your final destination. Did you miss a connection or suffer any significant economic harm as a result?
bearsdidit and NextTrip like this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:43 am

stuck at MCO waiting for 36 people from MSY. Seems to me it’s Southwests way to delay 130 people as opposed to pay for 36 in a hotel when they had a mechanical issue. All comes down to the dollars.
Good for WN for holding the flight.
NextTrip and Carpboy823 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 8:53 am

130 people delayed 25 minutes so that 36 wouldn't be delayed a whole day, best result possible overall
Old Jan 1, 2018, 10:56 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I'd be mad if they held the plane for 1 passenger, but it makes total sense to me to hold the last plane of the night for 36 passengers. Given how full flights are these days - I wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't have been able to get some of the pax on flights for more than a day.
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Asking for s friend: are BP scanners at security linked to airlines’ systems so that they can tell whether someone has cleared it and on the way to boarding area?
Old Jan 1, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by techie
Asking for s friend: are BP scanners at security linked to airlines’ systems so that they can tell whether someone has cleared it and on the way to boarding area?
No, TSA scanners are not feeding the airlines' systems
Old Jan 1, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by dmbolp
No, TSA scanners are not feeding the airlines' systems
That’s part of the problem methinks. It means there’s less information for airlines to make a decision.

As for the original question: as a passenger, I’d like for the airline to hold the plane long enough for me to get on it. As a passenger on that plane, it’s “go” time as soon as I get on board

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.