Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Were there any free drinks mailed home for credit card holders this year?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2013, 5:00 pm
Original Poster

I'm gonna fly dry! uh oh.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:03 pm

There are restrictions on mailing alcohol but, as a cardholder, I didn't get coupons this year. After a long time of always having coupons, I got my last ones issued last August, and my first revenue flights of the 10 needed to get the next coupons will start in May.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:09 pm

In the old program, I racked up lots of awards from credit card spend, and thus earned lots of drink coupons. It was totally awesome. Until, of course, they became worthless before I could use them all (or even give them all away).

In the new program, I've earned exactly one set of four coupons... plus a bonus set received sometime last year for being a cardholder. Nothing so far in 2013.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:33 pm

I was under the impression that all cardholders get a fresh set every December. I didn't get any this year, which just adds to the reasons that the SWA card is useless outside of the awesome signup bonus and will be jettisoned from my wallet soon.

Why should I earn 2x on only Southwest with the RR card when my new Chase Sapphire Preferred earns at least 2x on all travel, plus dining, and transfers 1:1 to SW? The only reason I could see hanging onto the card is for the TQP bonuses which I never hit.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 7:40 am

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards
Originally Posted by iTanNicNic
Why should I earn 2x on only Southwest with the RR card when my new Chase Sapphire Preferred earns at least 2x on all travel, plus dining, and transfers 1:1 to SW? The only reason I could see hanging onto the card is for the TQP bonuses which I never hit.
Agreed. I use my CSP for everything and it out-performs all airline cards for earning potential. I only keep my Southwest card around because the anniversary bonus covers the annual fee.

Also, no free drink coupons for me, but I usually fly early in the morning...but that is why they made Bloody Mary's right?
Old Feb 12, 2013, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Points earned with the WN card are Companion-Pass qualifying. Points derived from converting UR are not.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Points earned with the WN card are Companion-Pass qualifying. Points derived from converting UR are not.
I wouldn't be surprised if this went away soon.

Now if WN allowed cardholders free EBCI (or some sort of boarding enhancement), I'd gladly keep the card in my wallet and pay the $99/year AF for it.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 1:25 pm

Not a card member but you can find them on ebay for cheap. Some probably do not use them and just want to do away with them. I usually get 2 for 1 on ebay.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:28 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if this went away soon.

Now if WN allowed cardholders free EBCI (or some sort of boarding enhancement), I'd gladly keep the card in my wallet and pay the $99/year AF for it.
That would be great, since they can't exactly give us the free first bag.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:22 pm

I got nothing this year. My last coupon expired 12/31/2012. I used up the last two in December coming home from visiting my niece before she died.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:30 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Just fly a legacy, you'll get four to eight coupons in your elite pack every year, in addition to unlimited free drinks if you get upgraded to first class, or a drink comped on every boarding pass for the flights you ride in coach
Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:55 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I'm finally dried up as well after many years of having so many it would be a race to use them before they "expired". Not seeing any from the credit cards nor from actual travel. Were is the LUV ? Actually had to buy drinks on board over Christmas...
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:35 am

I too was wondering about this, as I have had the SWA Chase card for two or three years now and no coupons have ever been sent, but a friend of mine who also has the card received a few coupons last month. He has had the card longer than me, but don't know any other details (i.e. if he has taken more trips or spent more on the card).

Not a huge deal, but just wondering if any rhyme or reason.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:26 am

In your Rapid Rewards account online, make sure you have your preferences setup to receive them.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 7:26 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by ursine1
In your Rapid Rewards account online, make sure you have your preferences setup to receive them.
Thanks for this. Took me 10 minutes to locate where this was but I am checked off as receiving as earned. No LUV so far in a long time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.