Wiki Posts
Search

Flying over Grand Canyon on WN

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Flying over Grand Canyon on WN

Not sure this the right forum but if I am flying DAL-LBB-LAS WIll I be able to see the grand canyon if its not too cloudy? if so is there a prefered side of plane to be on
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:34 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
The flight tracks from the last few days show that you should get a good view from the right side of the aircraft as long as weather doesn't force a different than usual routing.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Alggag won't be flying til October but I will remember that, I know no promises things can change or could be foggy
Old Aug 22, 2012, 2:08 pm

My experience going to Vegas - right side GC, left side Hoove Dam
Old Aug 22, 2012, 3:36 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Don't forget that Southwest allows the use of GPS receivers in the plane. If you didn't know, GPS signals will not travel through the aluminum, so if you bring one, be sure the antenna is looking out the window. Program in the Grand Canyon before boarding and you are good to go.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 7:54 pm

Programs: HH Diamond WN CP MR Gold
You can check flightaware before your flight for its route. I was on left side of flight from Vegas and we flew just south of GC.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
They announced this on my last flight to Vegas on a beautiful day and got a great view.

Then we got the announcement: "Cameras must be off, we are under 10K feet." Tell us about the great view and stop us from taking pictures.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 12:08 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by lougord99
Don't forget that Southwest allows the use of GPS receivers in the plane. If you didn't know, GPS signals will not travel through the aluminum, so if you bring one, be sure the antenna is looking out the window. Program in the Grand Canyon before boarding and you are good to go.
Have the GPS powered on for awhile prior to departure so it has the latest almanac of satellites loaded prior. Without a recent almanac on power on in flight it has little to no chance of fixing your position travelling at close to 500kts.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 6:38 am

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
Originally Posted by MrMan
My experience going to Vegas - right side GC, left side Hoove Dam
True. Valid if flight is coming from the South or SE, such as PHX, TUS, ABQ or Texas airports or others in that direction. Along with Hoover Dam, a good view of the new arch bridge over the Colorado out the left side.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 9:27 am

Programs: WN: A+, CP National: Exec. Elite. Choice hotels: Platinum Priority Club: Platinum
On a side note, I was once flying TWA from STL to LAX. The pilot announced that since we had strong tail winds and extra time, he asked for and got permission from air traffic to descend to 150 over the grand canyon. He actually circled twice so both sides could see. Was pretty cool
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Speaking of GPS and airplanes I know Kayak app for androids has built in GPS app and I believd stored maps, of course I belive phones have to be turned off under 10k feet even in airplane mode

Also thanks everyone I was able to get a map of normal route map as well
Old Aug 23, 2012, 10:09 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by john398
Not sure this the right forum but if I am flying DAL-LBB-LAS WIll I be able to see the grand canyon if its not too cloudy? if so is there a prefered side of plane to be on
Looks like the normal route that Southwest files for LBB-LAS is V62 TXO J72 PGS TYSSN3. Joining the arrival into LAS at or west of Peach Springs (PGS) will take you well south of the Grand Canyon. While flight plans are always subject to change and you can always get a deviation, the normal route of this flight from LBB will have you well south of the canyon.

For the best canyon views, you really need something that’s filed over RSK and then PGS; these all generally skirt the south rim. Flights from STL, MCI, MDW, MEM, BNA etc. are generally filed this way and afford some great views.

As others have pointed out, best view/possibility of a view of the canyon is from the right side of the aircraft. A really good view (although fairly quickly out of sight) will be Hoover Dam and the new bypass bridge off the left side of the aircraft as you descend for the approach well west of the Grand Canyon.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
They announced this on my last flight to Vegas on a beautiful day and got a great view.

Then we got the announcement: "Cameras must be off, we are under 10K feet." Tell us about the great view and stop us from taking pictures.
That announcement about camera being off under 10K feet is a bit odd considering how far the Grand Canyon is from Vegas and above 10K feet also.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 11:45 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by Bigez747
On a side note, I was once flying TWA from STL to LAX. The pilot announced that since we had strong tail winds and extra time, he asked for and got permission from air traffic to descend to 150 over the grand canyon. He actually circled twice so both sides could see. Was pretty cool
Try doing that today and probably never going to happen.
Old Aug 23, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: WN A-List, CP; Hyatt Diamond
My home is LBB and I have taken the LAS NS flight several times.. will be on it next Sunday. My experience is the same as others have mentioned, GC is on the right, Hoover on the left.

Its not the best view, its more of a distant 'overall' view, but you can certainly see the canyon. I have multiple pictures of it from that same flight...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.