FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1168741-rapid-rewards-2-0-begins-march-1-2011-a.html)

iahphx Jan 6, 2011 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by CALimey (Post 15599292)
Anyone who has tried to book the reasonably priced reward tickets from CO/UA; AA or (God Forbid) DL will know that it is a crapshoot. I love the idea of blanket reward availability.

This is a cliche, but it is generally wrong. It is now quite easy for any mildly-sophisticated traveller (the entire flyertalk community, I believe) to use their Star or Oneworld miles. (DL remains far more problematic.)

Oh, sure, there's the occasional day that's tough, but nobody with any flexibility whatsoever will have trouble burning them. If you do, feel free to donate them to me. I'll also take your skypesos, but reluctantly. :)

And the joy of redeeming mileage to get free tickets to Kauai, Shanghai, Paris or Buenos Aires compared to using them to buy a $99 "wanna getaway" fare? It's like the difference between a 5-star restaurant meal and the dollar menu at the drive thru. One is aspirational and fun. The other is entirely utilitarian.

jrpaguia Jan 6, 2011 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog (Post 15599007)
Doesn't that contradict this post, where it sounds like A-list preferred is based on 2011 flights?

True. I guess I should've also said "This WOULD be a huge ^" if they counted flights from March 2010. Getting A-List Preferred will certainly make me re-think my 2011 flying strategy.

starflyer Jan 6, 2011 6:23 pm

Car rental credit seems to be 600 points, which is valued at between $5 (Business Select fare purchase) and $10 (WGA fare purchase) in flight credit $.

Anyone know if rental car companies are going to eliminate the frequent flyer surcharge when receiving WN points? Alamo currently charges $1.50 per day, up to a max of $4.50 per rental.

I was willing to pay that amount when receiving 0.5 or more RR 1.0 credits, but would not be willing to pay under RR 2.0.

SWABrian Jan 6, 2011 6:29 pm

updates on SWABrian's action items

This is where we stand overnight.

I am checking to clarify the issue of when we start counting the 50 flights for A-list Prefered. There appear to be some differences in what the Call Centers are saying and what I have been told. I am asking for a specific date. Hope to have that in the AM.

I earlier confirmed that if you qualify for a CP under the old program between now and 3/1, it will be good until 12/31/2012. Also, this will apply if you have one CP pass set to expire before the end of the year, but you have already earned the replacement.

I know its not a perfect program for each of you, but I thank you for the civil dialogue and your patience while I seek answers. I know you are concerned about how you will stand under the new system, and I will be back on here early in the AM. I also ask you to be patient and see how the new system works. The basic structure has been unchanged since 1987, so conceivably some of you have had the current program your entire lives.

jamesteroh Jan 6, 2011 6:35 pm

I want to make sure I understand the transferring of 1200 points to 1 RR 1.0 credit.

If it says my 16th credit must be earned by 12/17/12 does this mean I have until 12/17/12 to convert 2.0 points over to 1.0 credits?

Chuck2009x Jan 6, 2011 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Smidget (Post 15599902)
If I don't top it off, what happens is my question I guess?

You have to top off your old credits in some fashion, by the date shown on the "My 16th credit must be earned by" line in the current RR account summary.

You can't convert them to new points.

starflyer Jan 6, 2011 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by SWABrian (Post 15600351)
I earlier confirmed that if you qualify for a CP under the old program between now and 3/1, it will be good until 12/31/2012. Also, this will apply if you have one CP pass set to expire before the end of the year, but you have already earned the replacement.

I assume the correct interpretation of this statement is: I earlier confirmed that if you qualify for a CP under the old program between now and 3/1, it will be good until 12/31/2012. Also, this will apply if you have one CP pass set to expire before the end of the year, but you have already earned the replacement 100 credits by 1 March 2011.

SWABrian - Can you please confirm, as the bolded clarification I added seems to be the way everyone is interpreting the rules. Thank you.

Chuck2009x Jan 6, 2011 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by Smidget (Post 15599902)
If I don't top it off, what happens is my question I guess?

Originally Posted by jamesteroh (Post 15600398)
I want to make sure I understand the transferring of 1200 points to 1 RR 1.0 credit.

If it says my 16th credit must be earned by 12/17/12 does this mean I have until 12/17/12 to convert 2.0 points over to 1.0 credits?

Yep.

hyho61 Jan 6, 2011 6:48 pm

Sorry if I am asking this question again. Are the awards anyway capacity controlled or it is simply based on revenue seats. This means theoritically a flight can be filled with 100% of the passengers claiming the seat through points.

Also to confirm: Car rental or hotel = 600 points each time.

At this rate, some car rental companies may drop out or lower it to 300 points.

starflyer Jan 6, 2011 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by hyho61 (Post 15600479)
Sorry if I am asking this question again. Are the awards anyway capacity controlled or it is simply based on revenue seats. This means theoritically a flight can be filled with 100% of the passengers claiming the seat through points.

The new web site (http://www.newrapidrewards.com) is very clear on this issue: "Every seat on every flight, every day is a rewards seat."

Originally Posted by hyho61 (Post 15600479)
Also to confirm: Car rental or hotel = 600 points each time.

At this rate, some car rental companies may drop out or lower it to 300 points.

Why would car rental companies drop out or lower to 300 points if WN has already communicated the car rental companies that will provide 600 points in the new program?

toddpate Jan 6, 2011 6:58 pm

Are there any details on the new expanded redemption options through Maritz?

Vinodavid Jan 6, 2011 7:12 pm

Help SWABrian..

I currently have 63 flights going back to 3/1 of 10' with 9 or so more booked before 3/1.

What does this get me when 2.0 goes live?

A+ status?
Bonus Points?

If I consistently maintain A List preferred status will I always earn a 100% bonus, or does this reset every year and the 100% bonus only kicks in after the 50 flights have been flown that calendar year?

The simulator calculated my points starting as common folk, than A List, than A List preferred once each threshold had been attained.

This is a bit of a confusing mess in my humble opinion.

I am thinking the worst yet hoping for the best.

I fly 100 flights a year, 70-75% on Southwest. That last percentage will go to near zero if this plays out the way it seems to be.

azgrunge Jan 6, 2011 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by SAPMAN (Post 15493007)
As to the new RR changes in 2011 (?) - I think it could raise real issues if those 30, 40. 50 % or higher toward a next Companion Pass are shut out from getting one with a new program or way to earn the points. Many use Cr. Card, rentals, etc. to help them get to that magic 100 point level. If one has 50 points in 6 months and then earning points sometime in the next 6 months becomes much harder, if would be unfair.

I would suggest WN at least extend or give a pro-rated CP for a partial year for those on track to earn one.

Very surprising there are few leaks about the new program. Maybe I need to turn to Wiki Leaks to find out (or maybe the govt should have WN run their security:D)

I am hosed...... My CP expires 5/31/11. I earned another one on 11/25/10... they don't recognize it though. They wouldn't recognize it until 4/30/11. However, now I won't get it extended (as my traveling days have changed). This is clearly not fair, very frustrated.

The rest of the program is hit or miss. I think I will be much worse off though. They may lose me as a customer.

bjcleaver Jan 6, 2011 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by SWABrian (Post 15600351)

So just to make sure I understand this.

I've never been a CP holder and as of today have 60 credits (32 from signing up for the RR Credit Card!). I was hopefully on my way to qualifying for CP by June 2011 because I had 6 more months to get the 40 credits. But now I would need to get these 40 credits by 2/28? And if I do, my CP would be good through 12/31/2012?

If that's true I think I'd have incentive to get the 40 credits by 2/28 by all possible means (hotel points transfers, Starwood points transfers, etc.)

Mintman10 Jan 6, 2011 7:18 pm

Does anyone have any idea when the new RR 2.0 Visa will come out?