FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Rapid Rewards 2.0 begins March 1, 2011 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1168741-rapid-rewards-2-0-begins-march-1-2011-a.html)

bon95 Jan 6, 2011 10:02 am

Originally Posted by SWABrian (Post 15595071)
We will still mail coupon books after a Member has completed 10 ow trips.

I'm shocked this post didn't get more attention. This is HUGE devaluation for say someone who travels around 40 flights per year but earns close to 200 credits per year because of partners. Under the new rules you can expect 16 coupons down from an expected 48 drink coupons.
:td::td:

curbcrusher Jan 6, 2011 10:04 am

Originally Posted by goghd (Post 15594262)
Comment to NSX on the first post in the thread.

NSX said: ... no longer be possible to earn just the final 10% with a credit card.

This is from the FAQ on the SWA site concerning the new program:

How do I qualify for a Companion Pass in the All-New Rapid Rewards program?
Earn 110,000 points from any combination of Southwest Airlines flights and Rapid Rewards Partners per calendar year or fly 100 Southwest Airlines one-way qualifying flights per calendar year to qualify for a Companion Pass.

So you will be able to earn the Companion Pass with a mix of flights and credit card purchases.

NSX: can you change your 1st post -- I really like your all inclusive post

Thanks

Perhaps the OP is not clear. What nsx meant is that you must qualify for the CP entirely with either flights or points. You will not be able to earn it with 90 paid one-way flights and 11,000 points. Your points from those flights would count toward the 110,000 point requirement, though.

leeinct Jan 6, 2011 10:07 am

SOOOOO...is the general consensus to use our Awards tickets before RR2.0 takes effect or hold them for the new. My guess is it would be better to use them ASAP.

smmrfld Jan 6, 2011 10:11 am

WN please clarify ambiguous CP requal language

Can someone from WN please confirm, with certainty, that the 100-credit requal for CP by 2/28 will result in CP through 12/31/2012? The language is very unclear ("at launch", etc.) and there are many CP holders who will have the 100 credits by 2/28, thus requalifying, yet the existing CP will still show a 2011 expiration date. This is very important to know in order to determine strategy in the next few weeks.

uastarflyer Jan 6, 2011 10:16 am

Very good that they removed blackout dates and inventory controls. Now it is similar to UA - you have options. Not always awesome options, but options.

I wish they had taken a page out of the Mileage Plus "choices" book however, and simply allowed whatever point redemption you wish.

In other words, a $200 WGA requires 12,000 points to redeem in RR2.0. Allow me the option instead to purchase the $200 fare, and come credit card statement time, redeem 10,000 points to offset $167 of it.

Of course, this has the added benefit of earning points on the $200 trip.

ryerflyer Jan 6, 2011 10:18 am

Originally Posted by rajuabju (Post 15595686)
end of the world, no.

End of my relationship with WN? Yes.

I fly weekly from LAX to OAK, almost always on $59 fares (or better with sales).

Will be switching to another carrier once all my existing bookings and awards are used.

As WN is the only airline that flies LAX-OAK, who will you be switching to? You'll either have to start fyling out of different airports, or spend a lot more time and money on connecting LAX/OAK service.

jordanmills Jan 6, 2011 10:18 am

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 15596338)
1. Login to your account at the top right.

2. Look for a red vertical bar near the right of the page (it might say "Loading" and it might require more than one click). Click on it and the simulator will slide into place from the right.

3. Click the import account info button near the top right of the simulator pane.

There is no red vertical bar.

nsx Jan 6, 2011 10:27 am

Originally Posted by jordanmills (Post 15596549)

I'm using Firefox with Flashblock and ....... Plus and I see it.

As step zero, click on See What's Changed.

bon95 Jan 6, 2011 10:31 am

Originally Posted by jordanmills (Post 15596549)

http://www.lolzilla.net/images/6443843.png

uastarflyer Jan 6, 2011 10:33 am

LOL! Points for clarity, bon95!

Chuck2009x Jan 6, 2011 10:34 am

Originally Posted by freebee (Post 15596101)
Thanks for highlighting what should be most flyers' major issue with the new program. It's kind of gotten lost in all the confusion. I guess the positive comments are coming from those who are pleased that the devaluation isn't even worse.

I suppose there's a more favorable way to look at it, which is that 8 long-haul RTs used to get you one RT to anywhere.

Now after 8 long-haul RTs, you presumably will have enough points to buy 2 or 3 short-haul flights.

bsdstone Jan 6, 2011 10:36 am

Originally Posted by uastarflyer (Post 15596658)
LOL! Points for clarity, bon95!

I STILL don't see it! :D

pshuang Jan 6, 2011 10:36 am

Existing awards management

Reviewing my situation, I wanted to re-iterate (as another poster already has) that RR 2.0 changes the RR 1.0 practice of expired awards being extensible for up to 24 months after the expiration date. After March 1, the grace period drops to 12 months after expiration, and you will only be able to extend one more time, whereas in RR 1.0 I believe effectively you could keep on extending if you wanted to. (And the one additional new Standard award that you might be able to get issued after March 1 [thanks to your still having some legacy RR 1.0 credits remaining and make the one-time election to augment those credits with RR 2.0 points] cannot be extended at all.)

The other point I want to highlight is that conversions from Standard awards to Freedom awards are no longer available after the RR 2.0 launch date.

Being that I am sitting on a pile of expired awards as well as a pile of non-expired awards, I will have to figure out what's reasonably optimal for me to do before March 1.

* I think anybody who has an award that will be >12 months expired after March 1 has a fairly easy decision -- pay the $50 to extend it before March 1 or the expired award goes poof on March 1.

* I also think that anybody who has expired awards that are close to being 12 months post-expiration might want to pay the $50 to extend them before March 1. My interpretation (and it's gray) is that you'd still be allowed one more extension after March 1. So if you extend them on February 28, 2011, their new expiration date would be February 28, 2012. You'd have the new 12-month grace period, and on February 28, 2013, if you still haven't used the award, you could exercise your one-time RR 2.0 extension right and still fly on that award up to February 28, 2014. So, you'd be paying $50 sooner than necessary in order to reserve the right to make that second extension post-March 1.

* On the other hand, I have some expired awards that won't be anywhere near 12 months expired by March 1, and I probably won't pay the $50 to extend them up front. Instead, I'll extend them as their 12-month deadline approaches. For example, my award that hits its 12 month post-expiration mark in 12/2011 can be extended then for $50 and I can fly on that award until 12/2012. If I really can't find a good opportunity to fly on that award between now and 12/2012... this whole game is moot.

* Lastly, I think I will want to pay the $50 to convert some Standard awards that are not yet expired but will expire relatively soon to Freedom awards. That buys me some insurance in case WN drastically changes the ease of redemption of legacy Standard awards after RR 2.0 launch.

uastarflyer Jan 6, 2011 10:41 am

Yeah, it's too bad they didn't allow a conversion path from 1.0 awards to a bloc of points to put to use in 2.0.

They grandfathered a lot of other things, but excluded this one, not cool.

UALOneKPlus Jan 6, 2011 10:48 am

Originally Posted by leeinct (Post 15596466)
SOOOOO...is the general consensus to use our Awards tickets before RR2.0 takes effect or hold them for the new. My guess is it would be better to use them ASAP.

Explain please the logic.