Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Date to convert new points to old Standard Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Date to convert new points to old Standard Award

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Question Date to convert new points to old Standard Award

Okay, I finally earned enough points to convert to an old Standard Award so that my old credits don't go to waste. My first credit expires on 12/27/11. I am trying to figure out when I should convert my points. I searched the Southwest FAQ and found this: "Awards are good for one year from the date of issue. The reservation system will not allow you to use an award for a travel date later than the expiration date of the award."

So, I'm thinking that if I convert my points today, then I would have to use the award to complete my travels by 12/1/12, correct? I will probably use the award over Spring Break in April 2012, but in case anything doesn't work out, I'd like to give myself as long as possible to use the award.

Has anyone tried converting points to an old award? How long does it take? I'm thinking the best course of action is to wait until close to 12/27/11 to convert, but don't want to miss out.

TIA!
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
You are correct on all counts. If you do it today, you have until 12/1/2012 to fly on that award ticket. If you wait until 12/27/11, you will have until 12/27/2012 to fly.

The conversion process is virtually instantaneous, depending basically on nothing more than the speed of your internet connection.
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:18 pm

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards
(side note, I would probably wait no longer than 12/26, because I wouldn't want to risk the off-by-one error of not being 100% sure that the credit that expires "on 12/27" is actually still usable on 12/27)
Old Dec 1, 2011, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mritty
(side note, I would probably wait no longer than 12/26, because I wouldn't want to risk the off-by-one error of not being 100% sure that the credit that expires "on 12/27" is actually still usable on 12/27)
Right, that's what I'm thinking as well. I'll probably do it on 12/26. Not sure if it would even be possible to use on 12/26 in terms of availablity, but it would be nice to have the ability to go up to that date if needed. A flight on 12/26 would be much more valuable then a trip that would have to be completed by say 12/24 or 12/25.

Of course, the only con is that if I do it right now, I can try to book my spring break trip right now. And if my spring break trip works out, it doesn't matter when the award expires. Decisions, decisions . . .
Old Dec 1, 2011, 6:16 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by mritty
You can wait until the stated expiration date. I did it myself this month. Works fine. However if your stated date is on a weekend or holiday, do the conversion early in the day on the last pre-expiration date when the RR office is open. That way you can call if there's any problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.