Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest's new Trip Protection

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 9:25 am

Programs: DL GM, CO, SWA
Originally Posted by ftnoob

About a month after this thread originally died I came across an article on nytimes.com that should be required reading for those who think travel insurance is always an over priced ripoff. I didn't bother to post it due to the "this is wrong for angelic swa" mindset that was so dominant here. Consider that since this time last year we've had fiascos like the drink coupon policy change, the lies that "the CoC always prohibited TTF transfers," the "mechanical breakdowns are an act of God" mess, missteps like A/CP qualification rule change shaft jobs, and expired award reissuance rule changes causing untold numbers of award to vanish overnight.

Who still believes SWA is "too good" to offer trip insurance?

I still maintain it was a good idea for revenue enhancement.

And now with RR 2.0, you need to think about buying trip insurance when traveling on points!

^ Good link ftnoob. Thank goodness I've never needed Trip Insurance but as my hubby and I get older, it's something to consider. I always thought it just covered your airline ticket. Now I've been educated.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
Originally Posted by Bishope2
...I bought tickets on Sunday morning for travel in August. The 2 tickets priced out to $618. I then added my $130 worth of credit thus bringing the price down. The only disappointing thing is that my tickets expire in November. Not the $130 credit, the whole friggin ticket! I will be calling SWA today to find out why it is not for a year like my previous purchases.
This is not a new policy and has been in effect for many many years. From Southwest Airlines Co. Contract of Carriage — Passenger Seventh Revised effective February 12, 2011:

Travel Credit Eligibility. The expiration date of any travel credit will apply to any Tickets purchased with these funds. If a Ticket is purchased with multiple travel credits, the earliest expiration date will apply to the entire Ticket. (emphasis added)
Old May 16, 2011, 10:09 am
Moderator, Southwest Airlines and Choice Privileges

Originally Posted by msvacation
But back to trip insurance on SWA: I get that it's worth it for a cruise or an expensive package trip but I'm curious about the advantages of SWA trip insurance, being that you can TTF it.
Trip insurance doesn't just cover what you paid for your ticket. All sorts of additional expenses that have nothing to do with reusable TTF may be covered, such as:
  • lodging and additional rental car expenses you might incur as a result of weather issues on your travel date;
  • the fact that you might have to pay $500 for a replacement ticket home when a covered incident caused you to miss your $100 flight; and
  • depending on the policy, medical expenses, perhaps even to the point of air ambulance home.
One strategy I might recommend if SWA still had trip protection would be:
  • always skip it on outbound N/S flights;
  • usually skip it on outbound connecting flights; and
  • consider paying the $10 on return flights if family or friends are not providing free lodging at the destination, or if circumstances suggest high risk of an expensive overnight on a weather-related missed connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.