Wiki Posts
Search

Why book a BS fare?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
Why book a BS fare?

What's the biggest benefit you get from booking a BS fare? Received the following survey request via email today. The survey centered on BS fares and why one chooses to purchase them.

As part of our ongoing efforts to better meet our Customers' needs, we have asked MMR Research, Inc./Intellisurvey to conduct a brief survey to get your feedback to help improve the Southwest Airlines experience. This survey should only take about ten minutes to complete. The information you provide is strictly confidential, anonymous, and for research purposes only. At no time will you be asked to supply any personal information, nor will we in any way attempt to sell you anything.

We really appreciate your participation and your feedback!
Mostly straightforward questions. I found one page interesting.

Now, using the scale below, please indicate how important each of these items are to you when considering which type of fare to purchase when flying for business. [Ranking: 1-7 (Important to Extremely Important)]

It offers me priority security lane access
It is a good value for the money
I can check 2 bags for free
It makes my overall travel experience easier/less stressful
It allows me to make free, same day flight changes
It makes me feel like a valued customer
It allows me to earn additional Rewards credit or frequent flyer miles
Priority Boarding
I can re-use my ticket for up to a year with no extra charge if I cancel my reservation
I can enjoy an alcoholic beverage or energy drink in-flight
I can receive a 100% refund of the ticket price if I have to cancel my reservation
It gets me on/off the flight faster
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
So, how did you answer?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US Silver; WN A-List; Marriott Plat Premier
The survey was a bit hard to answer b/c many benefits of the BS fare I already get from having A-List status. The biggest benefit I get from A-List is: priority security line and priority boarding. The only time I book a BS fare is if I am really desperate for extra RR credits or if I know I am likely to try hopping a different flight than the one I am already booked on. The fact that I can retain priority boarding up to the last second is a big benefit, though, I'll only pay so much extra for that convenience.

Two bags are already free on WN, right? If so, why would they place that question on the survey unless they are thinking of instituting a second bag charge fee? Same with the "re-use my ticket for up to a year."
Old Oct 29, 2009, 6:50 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Diamondback
Two bags are already free on WN, right? If so, why would they place that question on the survey unless they are thinking of instituting a second bag charge fee? Same with the "re-use my ticket for up to a year."
To see if those who book BS really understand the system. I suspect many of those who book BS are people whose company pays for the ticket or are casual flyers of WN and they really pay no attention to WN's system.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 8:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
I think the survey is about more than just BS:

please indicate how important each of these items are to you when considering which type of fare to purchase when flying for business.
You might answer that 2 free bags is extremely important to you, and that's why you DON'T go for BS. Because it doesn't provide/enhance the benefit that's most important to you.

In a generic business sense, if you want to sell more of your premium product one way to do it is to make your bargain product crappier. Of course there are risks to that too
Old Oct 31, 2009, 8:42 am

Programs: WN A-List/CP, HHonors Diamond, CX J with AA miles, US Gold/*G
Originally Posted by Diamondback
=
It is a good value for the money
Most especially on peak holiday travel days when there are no WGA fares available...it's well worth the $15.

The airport's gonna be packed, might as well have them Fly-By.
The plane's gonna be at 137 or more, might as well have them board/deplane first.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In an airport with no priority security or short lines for everyone, I look at it as roughly a push. You're paying $15-25 for a RR credit and a beer.

For an airport with long security lines but better access for elites, I look at it as worth it.

For a ticket purchase inside 24 hours, I look at it as a near-must-have if you aren't already an A-lister.

Overall, it's not a bad product offering if you're looking at a flight that's down to full-Y seats only. Not that I want to give them any ideas, but I'm surprised the buy-up isn't $40-50.
Old Oct 31, 2009, 12:25 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by jrpaguia
The airport's gonna be packed, might as well have them Fly-By.
The plane's gonna be at 137 or more, might as well have them board/deplane first.
If you play your cards right, you could give up your seat, and get the BS fare + $250. If you're flying longer flights, you could really make a lot of money.
Old Nov 1, 2009, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by tusphotog
If you play your cards right, you could give up your seat, and get the BS fare + $250. If you're flying longer flights, you could really make a lot of money.
In my past 25 flights, I have seen no overbooked flights where they actually took volunteers. Fairly rare these days. So too much of a long shot to justifiy paying top fare to me.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
+1 on that... I can never reliably predict when I'm going to get a VDB, regardless of airline.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 10:51 pm

Programs: SWA A-List, OnePass, AA, U-MP, more
Originally Posted by pinniped
For a ticket purchase inside 24 hours, I look at it as a near-must-have if you aren't already an A-lister.
That's when it's the most valuable for an A-Lister.

You have missed the opportunity for a good boarding position. If the flight is full, you risk having to gate check your bag and spending an extra hour standing at the notoriously slow Oakland baggage claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.