Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > South
Reload this Page >

Is FLL or MIA best for international to domestic connection from Caribbean?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2021, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist

I'm looking at booking a midweek flight from Grand Cayman back to Las Vegas a few days before Christmas.

My options are:

1. Fly from GCM to MIA on Grand Cayman Airways, arrive at noon, connect to Las Vegas on Delta departing MIA at 1:51 pm (the stopover in MIA would be 1h 51 minutes)

2. Fly from GCM to FLL on Grand Cayman Airways, arrive at 12:11 p.m., connect to Las Vegas on Delta departing FLL at 2:10 p.m. (the stopover in FLL would be 1 h 59 minutes)

No checked bags. US citizen.

Which would you choose and why?
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jphripjah
I'm looking at booking a midweek flight from Grand Cayman back to Las Vegas a few days before Christmas.

My options are:

1. Fly from GCM to MIA on Grand Cayman Airways, arrive at noon, connect to Las Vegas on Delta departing MIA at 1:51 pm (the stopover in MIA would be 1h 51 minutes)

2. Fly from GCM to FLL on Grand Cayman Airways, arrive at 12:11 p.m., connect to Las Vegas on Delta departing FLL at 2:10 p.m. (the stopover in FLL would be 1 h 59 minutes)

No checked bags. US citizen.

Which would you choose and why?
What are your later-flight options at each airport in the event of a mis-connection?
Old Nov 20, 2021, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by guv1976
What are your later-flight options at each airport in the event of a mis-connection?
They're comparable.
Old Nov 20, 2021, 11:40 pm

I'm thoroughly puzzled. As far as I can tell, Grand Cayman Airways doesn't exist. Cayman Airways does...but they don't fly to Fort Lauderdale.

Source: https://www.caymanairways.com/where-we-fly

According to ITA Matrix (https://matrix.itasoftware.com/), the only airline that flies nonstop between GCM and FLL is JetBlue. But that flight is seasonal (Christmas/New Years, Spring Break, and Summer).
SUPERTRAVEL likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 8:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
I'm thoroughly puzzled. As far as I can tell, Grand Cayman Airways doesn't exist. Cayman Airways does...but they don't fly to Fort Lauderdale.

Source: https://www.caymanairways.com/where-we-fly

According to ITA Matrix (https://matrix.itasoftware.com/), the only airline that flies nonstop between GCM and FLL is JetBlue. But that flight is seasonal (Christmas/New Years, Spring Break, and Summer).

You're right. It's Cayman Airways, not Grand Cayman Airways.

The flight from GCM to MIA would be on Cayman Airways
The flight from GCM to FLL would be on Jetblue.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 9:56 am

Originally Posted by jphripjah
The flight from GCM to FLL would be on Jetblue.
At FLL, international arrivals on JetBlue will arrive at Terminal 4 (in green). I'd double-check, but I don't think GCM does the US preclearance. That means you'll need to clear Customs in Terminal 4.

From there, you'll need to cross the airport to Terminal 2 (in red) for the Delta flight. There is a shuttle bus that stops at all of the terminals. But, there's not an easy way for the bus to get from Terminal 4 to Terminal 1, so it's not particularly quick.

In most cases, walking between the terminals will be the quickest option. If you don't mind dodging cars, you can cut through the Palm Garage. There are crosswalks into the garage on both levels.

Source: https://www.broward.org/Airport/passengers/Flights/Pages/WhereIsMyAirline.aspx

That's all the information I can provide. I'm local to Fort Lauderdale, but I've never gone through Customs there. I'd guess that a lot will depend upon how many other flights arrive at the same time. Terminal 4 does have a reputation of being a mess because that's where Spirit Airlines is located. They fly to over 30 international destinations from FLL.
Old Nov 21, 2021, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
At FLL, international arrivals on JetBlue will arrive at Terminal 4 (in green). I'd double-check, but I don't think GCM does the US preclearance. That means you'll need to clear Customs in Terminal 4.

From there, you'll need to cross the airport to Terminal 2 (in red) for the Delta flight. There is a shuttle bus that stops at all of the terminals. But, there's not an easy way for the bus to get from Terminal 4 to Terminal 1, so it's not particularly quick.

In most cases, walking between the terminals will be the quickest option. If you don't mind dodging cars, you can cut through the Palm Garage. There are crosswalks into the garage on both levels.
Thank you very much. This is very helpful. If I fly into FLL I'll know to walk through the garage to terminal 2.
writerguyfl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.