Suggestions for MLK Day in NOLA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2007, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus

Folks -- I'm going to New Orleans over MLK weekend. Will probably mostly hang around the French Quarter -- specially after reading the NY thread.

However, I think I should go see some of the Katrina-affected areas. I'm not quite sure why -- just to see for myself, maybe, or to bear witness in some way.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions. Seems like renting a car might not be the best idea given the NY thread, and I wouldn't be sure where to go. A couple of companies offer tours, I see. Anyone have any experience with them?

Any advice welcomed...
Old Jan 6, 2007, 7:55 pm

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
Most people tell tourists not to rent a car because it's hell to park in the French Quarter and downtown where tourists stay. However, you won't see a fraction of the devastation without a car because it goes from Plaquemines to Biloxi and it's quite mind-croggling. The roads are pretty crappy in places but not Costa Rica or Kenya outback crappy. Be aware of missing bridges if you want to drive Ocean Blvd on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.

As far as New Orleans including Lakeview and Gentilly, New Orleans East, and Slidell, I was able to tour the devastation not long after the storm in my Toyota Corolla station wagon without any incident, although you should always have a spare tire, because the roofing nails are causing an unprecedented boom in the tire business. My husband has driven as far as Venice in a Toyota Camry sedan about 2 months after the storm, and a co-worker of his toured the 9th ward immediately afterward in what I believe was a Toyota sedan also but may have been another sedan. In other words, you don't need a Land Rover for this tour, just common sense. I always tell people they will take in the scope of things best in a car, because they can see for themselves how far they are driving and how far it goes on.

If you really don't want to fool with it though, Grayline Tours offers an inexpensive 3 hour tour regularly. Last I heard, they were donating some of the take to the recovery effort. In any event, they're providing jobs, which is always a good thing. I haven't tried the tour myself for the obvious reason that I wanted to see the places where I'd lived, rather than stick to a tour route, but they might be the easiest option for the tourist.

It is quite a sobering sight although there is steady improvement.

Some links to photos:

http://peachfront.diaryland.com/hellinninth.html -- These are the co-worker's 9th ward photos

http://peachfront.diaryland.com/katrinaeast.html -- My husband's childhood home destroyed in New Orleans East

http://peachfront.diaryland.com/venicedeath.html -- My husband took no photos on his trip to Venice but another co-worker did

These are all simple amateur photographs with basic digital cameras so you should be able to get some good shots if you're into photography.

Last edited by peachfront; Jan 6, 2007 at 8:07 pm
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
I think downtown will be a zoo but a serious party on Saturday, when the Saints host a playoff game at the Dome. I wish I were going.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Thanks. I think I may do the Gray Line.

And Swag -- thanks for that info. Explains why my flight is unexpectedly zeroed out. Oh, and CO -- yes, my travel plans are flexible. What did you have in mind?
Old Jan 14, 2007, 1:31 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
i have had the opportunity to do a free trip lately, but i have been a bit afraid after all of the things on the news these days.
Old Jan 21, 2007, 12:32 pm
Pam

Hubs and I went down on the 14th and came home on the 18th. We were out and walking Sunday afternoon and Monday, but then the weather turned icky and we didn't get out much. We stayed at Harrah's, and were always in the Canal Street/French Quarter area; I expected to be more nervous, but that area was about the same as before (fewer businesses open).
Old Jan 21, 2007, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

And you didn't say hi? I was there 14-16 (ended up arriving late on 14th after a very nice bump).

I also felt totally safe in French Quarter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.