MCO to Ocala with or without Sunpass?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:36 am
Ambassador: LATAM
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
MCO to Ocala with or without Sunpass?

Hi Floridians and Florida fans

I am flying into MCO on Wednesday and renting a car from Sixt. I propose to drive to Ocala

Last time I did this in December 2015 I got to the I-75 somehow and then paid the cash tolls.

Looking in Google maps it is telling me I need to go this route

...which includes the Florida Turnpike

Can anyone clarify? Is this a short stretch of the Florida Turnpike that does not require a Sunpass? I get on and get off again? Or do I need a Sunpass for this road?

Also is my 3 minutes on FL 528 W Toll a cash toll, no toll on this stretch or I need a Sunpass?

If anyone can offer any clarity then I would appreciate it, I have had experiences in Miami where Sixt reps have told me I need a Sunpass when I did not for the 112 to the I-95 and now that toll is also a no cash toll. It would be nice to arrive furnished with some correct advice so I can be on my way without a silly discussion with the Sixt agent.

Thanks all

Last edited by JohnnyColombia; Oct 20, 2017 at 11:39 am Reason: Edited because FT inserted the Google Map and I deigned to make my post look prettier
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Also is my 3 minutes on FL 528 W Toll a cash toll, no toll on this stretch or I need a Sunpass?
It's not free, but according to the Central Florida Expressway Authority website, the cash trip cost between the airport and the Turnpike exit is $2.25.

Expressway Authority website: https://www.cfxway.com/for-travelers/

Originally Posted by JohnnyColombia
Can anyone clarify? Is this a short stretch of the Florida Turnpike that does not require a Sunpass? I get on and get off again? Or do I need a Sunpass for this road?
There are only three areas of the Florida Turnpike where All Electronic Tolling (Sunpass/Toll-by-Plate) are mandatory. Fortunately, you won't be near them. (It's in parts of South Florida and Tampa.)

According to the Florida Turnpike website, the cast trip cost between State Road 528 and I-75 is $4.00.

Turnpike website: http://www.floridasturnpike.com/TollCalcV5/index.htm

Please Note: This is based on internet research. Although I'm in Florida, I pretty much avoid toll roads at all costs.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot writerguyfl This affords me plenty of comfort.

So two cash tolls to the I-75 and then whatever tiny amounts they request periodically as I go to Ocala. (based on your internet research)

Cheers
Old Oct 21, 2017, 11:21 am

No problem, Johnny.

That second website has a mapping feature that includes both State Road 528 and the Turnpike. It lists the following (in tiny print to the right of the map) when you enter your starting/ending points:

Start Point: S.R. 436/Semoran Blvd. - $0.00
Beachline West Toll Plaza - $2.25
Orlando South (U.S. 17/92/441) - $1.00
Leesburg Toll Plaza - $3.00
End Point: I-75 - $0.00

So, it looks like you're hit three toll plazas. You'll know exactly what change will be needed for each, too.

Last edited by writerguyfl; Oct 21, 2017 at 11:21 am Reason: Fixed formatting.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by writerguyfl
No problem, Johnny.

That second website has a mapping feature that includes both State Road 528 and the Turnpike. It lists the following (in tiny print to the right of the map) when you enter your starting/ending points:

Start Point: S.R. 436/Semoran Blvd. - $0.00
Beachline West Toll Plaza - $2.25
Orlando South (U.S. 17/92/441) - $1.00
Leesburg Toll Plaza - $3.00
End Point: I-75 - $0.00

So, it looks like you're hit three toll plazas. You'll know exactly what change will be needed for each, too.
Thanks a lot once again
Old Oct 24, 2017, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
We take a short segment (maybe 10 miles) of the turnpike and get off in Leesburg to visit the in-laws. Before we acquired a Sunpass we simply grabbed an envelope at the unmanned toll plaza and mailed in our $1. You have a week or 10days, something like that. I don’t see any reason to pay the car rental company to pay your tolls for you. You should make that clear at the counter.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.