Wiki Posts
Search

Bolivia Onward Ticket / LAN Refund Process

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Bolivia Onward Ticket / LAN Refund Process

Long time lurker, first time poster.

A friend and I are flying to Bolivia in March. We'll leave Bolivia via bus to Chile and then bus to Peru (and then fly on to Argentina, Venezuela, and back home to the USA). Our flights are all booked via a series of one-ways, but as we are busing out of Bolivia we don't have a plane ticket out of the country.

I've learned that I'll need a flight from Bolivia to satisfy the airline's onward flight requirements (to get on the plane out of the USA). Here are the options I've found:

Option 1- Book LAN flight LA969 on from LPB to IQQ via credit card. Once I've confirmed our bus plans work, I will cancel the flight. LAN's website says that "Refunds are permitted without any charge", but some other FT threads indicate that the LAN refund process can be a big ordeal. I'm a little hesitant to tie up $1000 if there's a risk they won't refund it.

Option 2- Book the same flight via BA reward Avios (9000 Avios + $120). Assuming bus plans work, we will cancel the flight. This would incur an $80 ($40 per ticket) fee with BA, but I don't think I'll have trouble canceling the flight.

Are there any better options to deal with the onward ticketing requirements?

If not, is the LAN refund process so bad that it's worth paying $80 to BA just so I don't have to deal with them?

Any thoughts or recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Kayrare; Jan 30, 2012 at 7:43 pm Reason: (edited to fix a typo)
Old Jan 30, 2012, 7:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but you may never survive a Bolivian bus ride, so it may be a moot point!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 10:18 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
It is not the airline's requirement as such, it is TIMATIC which says for Bolivia

Bolivia (BO)

Passport required.
- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid
on arrival.

Visa required, except for Holders of a normal passport, which
shows the place of birth in Bolivia, issued to nationals of

USA.
Visa Issuance:
Visa required, except for Nationals of USA can obtain a visa

on arrival for a max. stay of 90 days, provided
For details, click here
Minors:
- Applicable only when leaving Bolivia.
For details, click here
Additional Information:

- Dual nationality is recognised by Bolivia, however

For details, click here
- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to
cover their stay and documents required for their next
destination.

Warning:
- Visitors not holding return/onward tickets could be refused entry.

The chances of you being refused entry to Boliva is pretty much zero, but TIMATIC says that for most South American nations which makes the US airlines all uppity.

In the first instance I would call the airline which is taking you to Bolivia whether your return tix from Argentina/Venezuela are sufficient evidence that you the visitor is holding return tix.

If you are worried about LAN's refund process (I am still waiting for a tax refund from October) then book a fully refundable one way out of Bolivia on another carrier.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 5:41 pm
Original Poster

Thanks. Called the Bolivian consulate and confirmed that we would not be refused entry (this is consistent with what we've heard numerous times). Called AA and they said they would put a note on the record that we approved it with the consulate, but because we booked the ticket via BA rewards, AA couldn't add a note to the record. We could call BA, but the problem is that even if they put that in our file it's no real assurance that someone at the gate won't deny us boarding.

I'm thinking I'll just book the BA reward flight and eat the $40/ticket fee to cancel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.