Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Americas > South America
Reload this Page >

Can Sugar cane honey be purchased in Colombia?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2010, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Last year when traveling in Ecuador I tried a sugar cane honey. Would anybody know if it can be purchased in Colombia?

Thank you.
Old Nov 12, 2010, 12:06 pm

Programs: UA lifetime gold; Hilton Gold; Marriott/SPG Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
this may sound stupid but how can you have sugar cane honey?
Honey is a product produced by bees while sugar cane is a plant???

There is a cane sugar product with the molasses still inside which in essence is like our american brown sugar but darker and with stronger taste; It is solid and not liquid; I buy it in the US in Latino markets and use it when I may syrup for Peruvian picarones (little donuts with pumpkin and sweet potato).

Do you know what the cane sugar honey is called in Colombia?
Old Nov 15, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
Yes, there actually exists something called 'sugar cane honey', or better, 'miel de caña' translated into Spanish.

Although it's not honey (if you want to be precise you'd call it a syrup), in South America we call it honey.

And yes, you can buy it in Colombia, but it'll be harder to get in cities far away from the sugar cane plantation regions (southwest, near Cali).
Old Nov 15, 2010, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dragonfirebcn
Yes, there actually exists something called 'sugar cane honey', or better, 'miel de caña' translated into Spanish.

Although it's not honey (if you want to be precise you'd call it a syrup), in South America we call it honey.

And yes, you can buy it in Colombia, but it'll be harder to get in cities far away from the sugar cane plantation regions (southwest, near Cali).
There's a dessert (I forget what it's called) made with cheese, covered with what appears to be a panela syrup. Is this the same thing, the syrup?
Old Nov 16, 2010, 3:40 am

Programs: Bombay Sapphire; Sephora Plat
Originally Posted by nerd
There's a dessert (I forget what it's called) made with cheese, covered with what appears to be a panela syrup. Is this the same thing, the syrup?
yup!
Old Nov 16, 2010, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nerd
This kind of desert is exactly how I tried the product.
Old Nov 16, 2010, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by namtuge
This kind of desert is exactly how I tried the product.
You could probably make it yourself -- buy a lump of panela (much easier to find), dissolve it and boil it down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.