Search

Skyteam Redemption Help - US>Hawaii>Tahiti>US

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2007, 5:07 pm
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Skyteam Redemption Help - US>Hawaii>Tahiti>US

I'm begining to plan an a trip for next year where we would like to go from the US to Hawaii, then to Papette, then back to the US. TPA>HNL>PPT>TPA
(Airfrance, Air Tahiti are the only carriers from the US mainland, and hawaii Airlines flies from HNL).

I'd like to use points for as many segments as possible and use the least amount required.

Program Info:
I am Platinum on Delta and have the majority of my airline points there. However I have Usairways points as well, also I have a ton of Amex points which I can transfer to anywhere.

Options:
I contacted Delta to redeem a first/business ticket from TPA>HNL>open jaw>PPT>TPA. They stated that since my open jaw is a longer distance than my shortest segment I wouldn't be able to book this reward in the same trip.

So esstentially I would have:
TPA>HNL =75k points per person one way
PPT>TPA =150K points per person one way

I would probably purchase a ticket or use AMEX points for the HNL>PPT segment on Hawaii airlines.

Can anyone present alternative options to what I'm coming up with above?
I have 175k Delta points, 80k US Airways points, and 75k points on Amex that I can transfer.

Flyfarfar
Old Jan 15, 2007, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by flyfarfar

Options:
I contacted Delta to redeem a first/business ticket from TPA>HNL>open jaw>PPT>TPA. They stated that since my open jaw is a longer distance than my shortest segment I wouldn't be able to book this reward in the same trip.
TPA - HNL is 4691 miles
HNL - PPT is 2731
PPT - TPA is 5472

Unless they are making the ruling based on a strict interpretation of segment length (like HNL-PPT is longer than TPA-ATL or something like that), there are no segments where HNL-PPT is actually longer. It is actually shorter than PPT-LAX, which is the other segment you're looking at to get back from PPT to the USA. Based on this I would call back and ask for a clarification.

It may be that the award is a different level, which causes them troubles. I don't know that you can combine different rewards together to make your open-jaw ticket rather than using a single reward level.

Finally, look in to what it would cost miles and dollar-wise to just do TPA-HNL r/t and then nest a HNL-PPT inside that. You'd have to go way out of your way to get back to HNL on your return, but that may be the only feasible option on points.
Old Jan 15, 2007, 11:19 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
I think the interpretation is that if I fly TPA>LAX this segment is shorter than HNL>PPT, so that would make the ticket separate. I'll get clarification on this.

The other option is r/t TPA>HNL, then fly on Hawaii airline by either points or dollars ($800rt).

Is Hawaii a member of Delta's redemption partners?

Flyfarfar
Old Jan 15, 2007, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

TPA-LAX shouldn't count unless you are planning on stopping in LAX.

As for HNL-PPT on miles, CO is a partner with Hawaiian, and you can redeem points for that trip, but it is a lot of points. I believe you'll need a series 15A award which goes for 100K in Y and 150K in J. Not particularly affordable, but not much worse than you were originally looking at with your other plan.

You can transfer AMEX points to CO, but your 75K won't be enough for very much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.