Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Airlines plans to join Skyteam; CI/DL to expand codeshare

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2003, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

China Airlines plans to join Skyteam; CI/DL to expand codeshare

Taiwan's Economic Daily (Nov 19) is reporting Taiwan-based China Airlines plans to join Skyteam Alliance.

Skyteam Alliance members includes Delta, Air France, Alitalia, Korean Air, CSA Czech, AeroMexico, with KLM/NW/CO plans to join in 2004.

The entry to Skyteam will help China Airlines to increase its presence worldwide, and establishing hubs in Taipei.

Despite Skyteam is smaller than Star and oneWorld, but the merger of AF/KL will have major impact to the alliance.

China Airlines' vice-CEO Kuo-Hsin Chou quotes "it is an unevitable trend to join an alliance. Although we haven't set a date yet, but we are establishing the foundations with Skyteam members."

Chou also quote China Airlines is unable to provide full service to all US and European cities, the best way is to join an alliance, while helping US/European members to use CI to increase their presence. He says China Airlines has meet all the basic requirements.

China Airlines currently code-shares with Delta, and plans to expand the code-share with "DL" code on CI flight; Code-share with Alitalia will expand to freighter cooperations.
Old Nov 18, 2003, 4:31 pm

I'm still wondering if DL would have the audacity to place its pax on CI metal*. They took a chance on KE, and (for all practical purposes) won... thus increasing the likelihood

Oh well, it's in line with the TPE hub they've always wanted anyways

*they do, and it'll be undeniable proof that they don't give a flying f <k about the welfare of their customers

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy

Try the Unofficial Continental Airlines Dictionary
Old Nov 18, 2003, 5:51 pm
Original Poster

DL will place its pax on CI metal sooner or later.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ConcordeBoy:
I'm still wondering if DL would have the audacity to place its pax on CI metal*. They took a chance on KE, and (for all practical purposes) won... thus increasing the likelihood

</font>
Old Nov 18, 2003, 11:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
I just flew CI a few weeks ago NRT-TPE. I had a great flight each way. We had some pretty bad turbulence on the return, but the pilots did an excellent job. Now, I'm just waiting for my miles to post on my SM account.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 3:03 pm

The fact that you lived to tell about it is nice... some of us are worried that we may not be so fortunate (assuming we ever would willingly set foot on CI metal)

------------------
A340s don't fly... they're repelled from Earth by their ugliness!
Old Nov 19, 2003, 4:20 pm

Programs: AA-EXP (1.7MM), BA-Slvr, HH-Diamond
LOL! "The Miscellaneous Alliance"
Old Nov 19, 2003, 6:25 pm

Programs: CebGo 5J, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Alaska 100K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Joe Flyer:
I just flew CI a few weeks ago NRT-TPE. I had a great flight each way. We had some pretty bad turbulence on the return, but the pilots did an excellent job. Now, I'm just waiting for my miles to post on my SM account.</font>

I do not think Skyteam members are worried about onboard service on China Airlines. It is excellent from what I have heard. Rather, it is the safety record of this airline. People are wondering if Skyteam has a minimal safety record standard before being invited (allowed) to join. I do not like the idea of landing upside down at HKG airport.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 8:02 pm

Location: Homosassa, FL & Ringwood, NJ -UA-G(Lifetime); SPG-Plat (Lifetime)
If anyone is interested,do a search on pprune.org on China Airlines. Safety record is not good to say the least. In particular, I remember reading where DL went and did a complete survey of all their training and safety systems and the results were very negative.
I normally don't mind flying any carrier, but I might draw the line here.
Old Nov 20, 2003, 2:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Vulcan:
If anyone is interested,do a search on pprune.org on China Airlines. Safety record is not good to say the least. </font>
Now there's an understatement

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/002108/M/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/047556/M/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/222286/M/

...and of course, this famous shot:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/180234/M/

------------------
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!
~ConcordeBoy

Try the Unofficial Continental Airlines Dictionary

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.