PDAR vs FDAR

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:05 am
Original Poster

PDAR vs FDAR

edit: nvm

Last edited by LookNoWings135; Oct 11, 2017 at 12:23 pm
Old Oct 6, 2015, 11:10 am

Most new cars feels very detached from the road in my opinion. I've driven the 3 series for a few thousand miles, and it's a brilliant car with excellent handling and an awesome auto transmission.

One of those times was at Malaga. They tried to give me a 316d. Make sure you reject it - tell them you're driving up and down mountains. It's 114bhp and underpowered. 320d is minimum for a 3 series. It is however a very comfortable car, regardless of engine.

The 520d feels underpowered, but it's entirely possible they only have 520d/525d in PDAR. The 5 is more of a wafter; the 3 you can throw around corners a bit easier.

They also have Audis at Malaga airport.

Make sure you inspect the vehicle before signing anything. They will tell you there's no scratches, but in my experience, that's rarely true.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:49 pm

Programs: Lufthansa SEN, Bonvoy LT TE, SIXT Diamond, AVIS President, HERTZ President
Depends what you want to do in Spain. I recently rented a 1-series BMW and received an upgrade to a Mercedes CLS 350 Bluetec. On the beginning I was very happy - but after driving to Granada and other cities I understood that a Smart would have been the better choice. Many of the streets are just 1.8 meters wide - while the car was close to 2 meters. Also I couldn't enter some of the hotel parking lots. Therefore better consider where you want to go and take a smaller car. Regarding the BMW 520d I can say that it's absolutely not underpowered, don't worry.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 1:47 am

With respect, you can't "absolutely" say the 520d isn't underpowered as it's highly subjective.
Old Oct 16, 2015, 3:24 am

I rented with Sixt this summer at Barcelona airport. In the FDAR class, they had the Mercedes C220, BMW 320d, and Audi A4 all available. In the PDAR class, I believe I was offered an Audi A6.

I personally went with the Mercedes C220 as it was MUCH easier to maneuver when driving around and parking in the cities and towns. Compared to the 5 series, it is at least 20cm shorter in length which is quite a bit when trying to parallel park in Spain.

I have the latest generation F10 BMW 5 series in my household and I can tell you that it is not really more luxurious than a 3 series. Honestly, the only difference is that it is a bit bigger and the screen design is different. I personally would not even choose a 5 series if it wasn't equipped with the M-Sport package, which it likely won't be at Sixt.

I honestly disagree that the 316d is underpowered - the speed limit in Spain is only 120km/h after all. The 260Nm of torque is basically equivalent to the petrol BMW 20i engine. As well, crime is also a bigger issue in Spain and driving a 5 series does attract more attention in a country where premium German cars are rarer.

If you really want something sporty, then perhaps you should go with the BMW 4 series or find one of their higher-specced 3 series models such as the 330d which they might just have.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 12:40 am

Sixt Car booking - Stansted Airport

Hi guys,

I'm due to pick up a car on 5th August 8pm at Stansted Airport within the FDAR class.

Can you give me an indicator of the car, it says "Mercedes C Class or similar", it wasn't cheap, so I hope I don't end up with a Skoda...

Can you let me know what the engine sizes typically are also please?

Thanks,
Ravi
Old Oct 3, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: Etihad Platinum, Alitalia FRECCIA ALATA
So which one did you get Ravi?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.