FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   0040h arrival at SIN- which transit hotel? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1887950-0040h-arrival-sin-transit-hotel.html)

protagonist Jan 12, 2018 10:25 am

0040h arrival at SIN- which transit hotel?

Hi.

I arrive at SIN after midnight (EWR-TYO-SIN), so I was thinking of booking a transit hotel in Changi when I arrive for 6-12 hours (about $75 for 12 hrs). I would probably not stay the full 12 hours but it will give me a chance to crash when I arrive and awake rested to head into the city and a proper hotel the following night.

I arrive at Terminal 2 (ANA from TYO).

Questions about the SIN Transit hotels, which are in Terminals 1-3 (Aerotel in Terminal 1, Ambassador Hotel in T2 and T3):
1. Are they similar enough that I should just book in Terminal 2, or is one of the others significantly better and worth a weary traveler going to T1 or T3?
2. And if I do choose the hotel in a different terminal, do I have to clear customs first? (I think not).
3. If I check a bag, to avoid having to clear customs on arrival and re-enter, can I just leave my checked bag at baggage claim, sleep for 6 or 8 or 10 hours, and go to baggage claim in the morning to get it after checking out of the hotel? Is that a safe option?

Thanks in advance.

Eltham Jan 12, 2018 12:28 pm

Huge hassle. Just go straight into town. It’s a 20 min taxi ride at that time of day.

mnbp Jan 12, 2018 1:30 pm

To stay at the transit hotel, you must remain airside upon arrival in SIN. You will not have access to checked baggage. I've always used carry-on baggage, but there are lots of experiences posted here on FT that you can simply pick up your checked baggage after your transit hotel stay after you pass through SIN immigration and before exiting Customs.

I absolutely recommend staying that first night in SIN at the transit hotel. On my first trip US-TYO-SIN trip which arrived near midnight, I assumed I would want the transit hotel for 8-9 hours but actually was more than ready to go after about 5 hours, so I suggest booking the default 6 hours.

I travel for fun, and I like to stay at nice hotels. Arriving at a nice hotel after 1-2 am just seems not cost effective as I don't get the full value for that first day. That's why staying that first night in a transit hotel makes sense to me. A business traveler (spending other people's money) might have a different perspective.

I've stayed at all three transit hotels over the years, and they are all just fine and offer similar experiences. If you check a bag, you must enter SIN immigration/customs at the terminal you arrived because that's where your checked baggage is. Beyond that restriction, T1,T2 and T3 are all connected airside and you are free to visit any or all three terminals. (The new SIN T4 is completely separate and access-restricted).

Check out the Wiki at the top of this classic thread from the Mileage Run forum for ideas about SIN airport and Singapore in general:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...i-4-9-cpm.html

protagonist Jan 12, 2018 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by mnbp (Post 29285247)
To stay at the transit hotel, you must remain airside upon arrival in SIN. You will not have access to checked baggage. I've always used carry-on baggage, but there are lots of experiences posted here on FT that you can simply pick up your checked baggage after your transit hotel stay after you pass through SIN immigration and before exiting Customs.

I absolutely recommend staying that first night in SIN at the transit hotel. On my first trip US-TYO-SIN trip which arrived near midnight, I assumed I would want the transit hotel for 8-9 hours but actually was more than ready to go after about 5 hours, so I suggest booking the default 6 hours.

I travel for fun, and I like to stay at nice hotels. Arriving at a nice hotel after 1-2 am just seems not cost effective as I don't get the full value for that first day. That's why staying that first night in a transit hotel makes sense to me. A business traveler (spending other people's money) might have a different perspective.

I've stayed at all three transit hotels over the years, and they are all just fine and offer similar experiences. If you check a bag, you must enter SIN immigration/customs at the terminal you arrived because that's where your checked baggage is. Beyond that restriction, T1,T2 and T3 are all connected airside and you are free to visit any or all three terminals. (The new SIN T4 is completely separate and access-restricted).

Check out the Wiki at the top of this classic thread from the Mileage Run forum for ideas about SIN airport and Singapore in general:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mile...i-4-9-cpm.html

Thanks for the great information, mnbp!

If I check a bag, can I just leave it at the T2 baggage claim and not go to get it until I check out of the hotel the next morning? I assume it would be waiting for me....

Annalisa12 Jan 12, 2018 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by Eltham (Post 29284924)
Huge hassle. Just go straight into town. It’s a 20 min taxi ride at that time of day.

Fully agree.

mnbp Jan 12, 2018 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by protagonist (Post 29285460)

If I check a bag, can I just leave it at the T2 baggage claim and not go to get it until I check out of the hotel the next morning? I assume it would be waiting for me....

From other threads here on FT, I believe you will simply inquire about your bag at the baggage service office, which would have to be near baggage claim (before Customs), I would assume. Others can offer first hand experiences, or search this forum for prior comments.

Eltham Jan 12, 2018 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by protagonist (Post 29285460)

This makes no sense. You can retrieve your bag from the lost luggage office, but then you will be traipsing around Singapore while you wait for check in time at a hotel - earliest 2pm unless you have some early check in arrangement. Seems far more simple to go there straight after landing.

protagonist Jan 13, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Eltham (Post 29286407)

This makes no sense. You can retrieve your bag from the lost luggage office, but then you will be traipsing around Singapore while you wait for check in time at a hotel - earliest 2pm unless you have some early check in arrangement. Seems far more simple to go there straight after landing.

Yes, but I assume the hotel where I will eventually stay will let me leave my luggage there until check-in time, and I would be traipsing around Singapore , after a decent night's sleep during normal Singapore sleeping hours, so hopefully I would be rested and ready for a day on the town. As opposed to getting to an expensive hotel at 2-3 am, or possibly later, after flying 25 hours(figuring time collecting bags, exchanging money, figuring out what to do, etc) ...too late to enjoy my stay...and then sleeping until noon if I was lucky. That is my thought process anyway.

I assumed I could prob. just get my bag at lost luggage in the morning.

RumPatrol Jan 16, 2018 8:06 pm

I know it is something people do every day at SIN, but I would not be comfortable leaving checked baggage at the claim and hoping it made it to the airline baggage office the next morning. That's a personal thing, obviously many people do it without issue. Last time I was at SIN on that midnight arrival from NRT, I just went through immigration, got my bag and went to the Crowne Plaza in T3. It was only $50USD more than the transit hotel would have been for that night, got a full night sleep and took a taxi to the Pan Pacific in the morning.

This should solely be a financial decision in my opinion, all the other stuff you mentioned will be no different whether it is done at 1am or if it is done at 9am. If the hotel you'll be staying in for the other nights in SIN is significantly more expensive than the transit hotel would be, then just stick with the transit hotel (or explore the Crowne Plaza's cost) and head into town in the morning.

Annalisa12 Jan 17, 2018 12:43 am

Is this to save a night accom at a regular Singapre hotel?

Eltham Jan 17, 2018 11:09 am

Originally Posted by RumPatrol (Post 29301976)
I know it is something people do every day at SIN, but I would not be comfortable leaving checked baggage at the claim and hoping it made it to the airline baggage office the next morning. That's a personal thing, obviously many people do it without issue. Last time I was at SIN on that midnight arrival from NRT, I just went through immigration, got my bag and went to the Crowne Plaza in T3. It was only $50USD more than the transit hotel would have been for that night, got a full night sleep and took a taxi to the Pan Pacific in the morning.

This should solely be a financial decision in my opinion, all the other stuff you mentioned will be no different whether it is done at 1am or if it is done at 9am. If the hotel you'll be staying in for the other nights in SIN is significantly more expensive than the transit hotel would be, then just stick with the transit hotel (or explore the Crowne Plaza's cost) and head into town in the morning.

Still seems like a lot of hassle to potentially save a few dollars. “Heading into town” is a 20-min task at that time of day, and you know your bag is safe.

RumPatrol Jan 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by Eltham (Post 29304374)

Still seems like a lot of hassle to potentially save a few dollars. “Heading into town” is a 20-min task at that time of day, and you know your bag is safe.

Agree completely. Like I said in my last post, unless the hotel the OP is staying at the other nights is significantly more expensive, I'd just book the night of arrival there too and go into town. Even if it is significantly more expensive, I'd explore the Crowne Plaza as an alternative before looking at a transit hotel just so I could have my bag with me, which is what I did on my last SIN trip.

In my case, the difference between the Crowne Plaza and the Pan Pacific for my night of arrival was well over $300 which just wasn't worth it to me so I did the Crowne Plaza for the night and took a cab from T3 to the Pan Pacific at my leisure the next morning. If I was someone who was actually comfortable leaving my bag at baggage claim, maybe I'd feel differently about the transit hotel but I just couldn't do it.

Eltham Jan 17, 2018 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by RumPatrol (Post 29305650)
Agree completely. Like I said in my last post, unless the hotel the OP is staying at the other nights is significantly more expensive, I'd just book the night of arrival there too and go into town. Even if it is significantly more expensive, I'd explore the Crowne Plaza as an alternative before looking at a transit hotel just so I could have my bag with me, which is what I did on my last SIN trip.

In my case, the difference between the Crowne Plaza and the Pan Pacific for my night of arrival was well over $300 which just wasn't worth it to me so I did the Crowne Plaza for the night and took a cab from T3 to the Pan Pacific at my leisure the next morning. If I was someone who was actually comfortable leaving my bag at baggage claim, maybe I'd feel differently about the transit hotel but I just couldn't do it.

I’m just lazy and look for the simplest path! I do like the CP but only use it for overnights in between flights. My regular hotel is the IC and I will always head straight there for longer stays (although have used it for overnights too).

protagonist Jan 18, 2018 9:44 am

Response from OP....

You have all pretty much convinced me that the Transit Hotel was probably a mistake, but it is too late since it is non-refundable.

It was not a financial decision. It was a decision of convenience. It seemed like a good idea, if I was to be awake 25 hours flying, to just crash immediately by 1 am or so, sleep as long as I wanted, and wake up refreshed at a reasonable hour in the morning to explore Singapore .

As opposed to arriving in a hotel in Singapore closer to 3 am....possibly later if flight is delayed....waste a good chunk of the next day sleeping and take longer to adapt to the new time zone.

I will only be in Singapore 2 more nights after I arrive before heading to Thailand so I wanted to also maximize my daytime hours. I figured a sleeping pill at 1am would knock me out, regardless of the noise or whatnot at the transit hotel, and I could enjoy a good complimentary breakfast in the airport before hitting the town.

The responses here seem to be nearly universal that I made a mistake. I didn't realize getting into town was so easy and quick. But my reservation is non-refundable, so I am committed. Next time I will consider other options as outlined above.

Thanks.
protagonist

Eltham Jan 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by protagonist (Post 29308709)
Response from OP....

You have all pretty much convinced me that the Transit Hotel was probably a mistake, but it is too late since it is non-refundable.

It was not a financial decision. It was a decision of convenience. It seemed like a good idea, if I was to be awake 25 hours flying, to just crash immediately by 1 am or so, sleep as long as I wanted, and wake up refreshed at a reasonable hour in the morning to explore Singapore .

As opposed to arriving in a hotel in Singapore closer to 3 am....possibly later if flight is delayed....waste a good chunk of the next day sleeping and take longer to adapt to the new time zone.

I will only be in Singapore 2 more nights after I arrive before heading to Thailand so I wanted to also maximize my daytime hours. I figured a sleeping pill at 1am would knock me out, regardless of the noise or whatnot at the transit hotel, and I could enjoy a good complimentary breakfast in the airport before hitting the town.

The responses here seem to be nearly universal that I made a mistake. I didn't realize getting into town was so easy and quick. But my reservation is non-refundable, so I am committed. Next time I will consider other options as outlined above.

Thanks.
protagonist

Sorry to hear that. Actually the transit hotel is very quiet and the room very dark, so you should get a good sleep.